American 180 sub group

bayoutank

Hello Uzitalk folks,

I wanted to test the waters for interest in starting an American 180 sub forum. I have owned my full auto American 180 for a few years now and have tried to find a good forum for owners but I have yet to find one. If there is one out there already, please let me know or let me know if you are interested in getting a forum established for AM 180s. Any way I would love to network with fellow owners and enthusiast. I am willing to put in time and a few dollars to get one established if there is interest.

Regards,
bayoutank
---> American 180, Uzi and MAC10

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Hi - I think a few people here own them (I've got one).
'm certainly interested !!!

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
I don't own an American 180 but I did get ahold of a used AM 180 upper. It is a first generation upper, so I have not even tried it yet. I knew several owners from the Las Vegas area that could not get the first generation to run. I hear that the generation 2 upper will work. I have contacted Tactical Innovations about upgrading the unit. Who knows when or even if they will get around to making the upper again. I would imagine that the upgrade kits won't be available until the upper would be back in production.

Would the AM 15 upper be included in such a forum or would the forum only be for registered receiver owners? It is also my understanding that there is an upper for the M11/NINE, but has not been approved. I would like to learn more about the platform.

Scott

SecondAmend

I don't own an American 180 but I did get ahold of a used AM 180 upper. ... I would like to learn more about the platform. ..
Scott
There is some information in Frank Iannamico's comprehensive book, "United States Submachine Guns" (Frank is a Board Member here).
Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

hfoster223

I’m in, ive mostly bugged E&L for info, there very helpful
Owned one for awhile, early 2000’s

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I don't have one, but have always been interested in them (and pretty much all other guns).

bayoutank

I don't own an American 180 but I did get ahold of a used AM 180 upper. It is a first generation upper, so I have not even tried it yet. I knew several owners from the Las Vegas area that could not get the first generation to run. I hear that the generation 2 upper will work. I have contacted Tactical Innovations about upgrading the unit. Who knows when or even if they will get around to making the upper again. I would imagine that the upgrade kits won't be available until the upper would be back in production.

Would the AM 15 upper be included in such a forum or would the forum only be for registered receiver owners? It is also my understanding that there is an upper for the M11/NINE, but has not been approved. I would like to learn more about the platform.

Scott

I was looking for American 180 owners but maybe there are just not enough out there. Maybe in the end it could be for all 22 full auto owners, lets see what the final response looks like.

bayoutank

I’m in, ive mostly bugged E&L for info, there very helpful
Owned one for awhile, early 2000’s

Val at E&L is definitely the "OG" of American 180s, my 180 was tuned by him and it for reasons like this that I wanted to start a forum. Val does not really do forums, online communities, and so I wanted a place where we could discuss topics like what ammo is working. His web site is the definitive site for parts, service and history.

timkel

I'm not an owner. But I am interested and would like to see a forum for the American 180. I remember when they first came out in the late 70's I think? Also there was a very large optional laser that mounted under the barrel.

bayoutank

I'm not an owner. But I am interested and would like to see a forum for the American 180. I remember when they first came out in the late 70's I think? Also there was a very large optional laser that mounted under the barrel.

I have one of those big a$$ lasers in pieces on my bench, most of the tubes are shot so I am retrofitting mine with an updated laser. Not as cool as original but doing what I can, also I am looking for barrel mounts, hopefully E&F has some or someone on this list may have some.

timkel

I have one of those big a$$ lasers in pieces on my bench, most of the tubes are shot so I am retrofitting mine with an updated laser. Not as cool as original but doing what I can, also I am looking for barrel mounts, hopefully E&F has some or someone on this list may have some.

Wow..that laser was cutting edge at the time. As I recall, the laser was attached with 2 barrel clamps. Should be able to make/modify replacements. Post pics along the way of your restoration?

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve also got an am180 drum m16 magazine adapter.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
I was looking for American 180 owners but maybe there are just not enough out there. Maybe in the end it could be for all 22 full auto owners, lets see what the final response looks like.

My point was the AM15 is based on the AM 180. It is my understanding that the AM15 uses some parts from the AM 180, including the drums. Which is very different from the Ruger 10 22 or Ciener Kit guns.

Scott

bayoutank

My point was the AM15 is based on the AM 180. It is my understanding that the AM15 uses some parts from the AM 180, including the drums. Which is very different from the Ruger 10 22 or Ciener Kit guns.

Scott

Maybe we can do a parts comparison, I would be curious to see what was used as I do not own an AM15. Its things like this I would like to discuss.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter