AK Folder - Bad Decision ?

buzzer

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought a pre-ban Hungarian SM-87 AK-47 underfolder in May - beautiful gun. No complaints other that the muzzle brake would not come off. It was stuck on and I mean REALLY stuck. I tried everything and finally gave up and sent it to an AK smith (excellent BTW). He had to cut 4 slices in it to see what was going on in there. Turns out some previous owner had run a bunch of corrosive ammo through it and never cleaned the threads. He was able to get the brake off and clean up the threads so all is OK, though I can not say the experience thrilled me. It was from an auciton site.

What I am wondering is if I screwed up. I paid about $1200 for this gun and now I see Vector selling underfolder AKs for just under $500, built on Hungarian or Polish receivers, US part compliant etc. I know that the Kassnar AKs are pre-ban and will never be imported again etc. etc. but aside from collector's value, I think I could have had the same thing, brand spanking new, with a warranty, for 1/2 the money.

To be honest, I did not think the AWB had a prayer of actually expiring. Its the first time I have seen a restrictive gun law die. I know it had a built in expiration which I think is the only reason it ever expired. I am happy about that of course, but now find myself spending too much time looking at current build AK folders.

Any opinions ? Did I blow it ? Are the Vector's a good buy ? Are there better deals out there ?

Thanks !

cookie

Founder
The Vectors are a good buy (I bought their AKM with black furniture) but they're actually built on American (Ohio Ordnance Works) receivers with mismatched (non-matching numbers) Polish/Hungarian kits. My rifle is fine for an inexpensive shooter, but it's not in the same league as your Kassnar. Besides, the AWB didn't affect your rifle - it was banned from import by President George H. W. Bush's executive order in 1989.

If you want a cheap, well-built AK to shoot the hell out of, get a Vector. I'd still hang on to the Kassnar though.

Dan0341

UZI Talk Life Member
If I remember correctly, there are only 4,000 underfolder SA85Ms that were imported (and 3,000 fixed stocks). In my opinion, the quality is second to none. You have an all original Hungarian built weapon, not a US Made parts rifle. I have one and wouldn't sell it for $1,200. Enjoy your rifle and have no regrets. You won't find a better one.

Here's a pic of mine dressed up as a Soviet AKMS.

Dan

sa85m.jpeg

buzzer

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks for the input. I feel better but I still might give in to temptation. I'll never part with the SM-87 but I might have to get it some company !

I know the AWB did not affect the cessation of importation, but it did make guns like the current Vector offerings available.

BTW - that's a nice AK you have there ! ;)

Last edited:

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
I used to have a Bulgarian SLR-95. I sold it for $800 with a bunch of mags, case, and a ton of ammo. I miss it.

Who makes a good quality folder with a milled receiver? Does Vector?

M_J

cookie

Founder
Arsenal, Inc. just came out with a Bulgarian folder. I checked one out at a store recently and it was first class, with their trademark smooth black finish and milled receiver.

cookie

Founder
I don't know about the Classic folder, but the fixed-stock Classics brought anywhere from $750-$1,000 depending on how badly the buyer wanted one. A while back I was looking for one, and found two. :) You have to keep in mind that the Classic is a limited-production rifle, so people end up paying a premium. I can honestly say that it is the most beautiful and well-made AK I've ever seen.

Here's one of them:

buzzer

UZI Talk Life Member
sent them an inquiry through their web site. No response yet. I think I will give them a call. Anyone know a dealer in Orlando area that may actually have these ?

How about these ? Atlantic Firearms

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/rifles/ak47/ak47.html

AK V 47 , Under Folder Rifle ,762 x 39, semi auto rifle ,These unique rifles start as original polish AK parts set, they are Factory built on a new Ohio Ordnance receiver .Features working under folding stock, Slant style muzzle brake, bayonet lug & parkerized finish , wood front hand guard . Quality fit ,finish & construction, these will take high cap mags & all backed up by a five year factory warranty.
In stock now but Limited in Availability .You will not be disappointed in this unique rifle !!!!!100 % New in box , ships with one 30 round hi cap mag.

V47U $499.00 Sold out, check back in late November

Last edited:

cookie

Founder
buzzer said:
sent them an inquiry through their web site. No response yet. I think I will give them a call. Anyone know a dealer in Orlando area that may actually have these ?

How about these ? Atlantic Firearms...

In my opinion, vendors like Atlantic Firearms fill a void where none exists. Vector will sell directly to your dealer at a discount.

buzzer

UZI Talk Life Member
I got a response from Arsenal. The Classic SAS M7 was a limited production run (dunno why), and Lew Horton Dist Company bought ALL of them. MSRP is $1200 !! I have not contacted Lew Horton Dist Company to see if they have any left but that's a steep price!!

All their other models are available direct to dealers, minimum order of 3 though.

The Atlantic Firearms underfolders are built on an Ohio Ordinance receiver, just like the Vectors. They are both about $500. The Arsenal model is DOUBLE that. Is it worth it ??

Atlantic also offers an AK pistol that is pretty cool. I just have this feeling that NOW is the time to get these types of weapons. I fear a new ban is in our futures....

I think I will ask around on the AK-47.net forum as well.

Cookie - what's your beef with Atlantic ?

Damn AK bug !!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter