9mm Magwell conversion blocks for the AR

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
These are hard as hell to find these days. I want to get a 9mm upper for my AR that takes modified Uzi mags, but Rock River tells me they haven't had any for quite awhile. They also said their dealers are scrambling with no luck and their supplier is not going to be making any very soon. Sooooo, they remain backordered with no end in sight.

This, of course, f-s up sales of their 9mm uppers.

Any ideas out there?

carcass

UZI Talk Supporter
Look at Brownells; they list them in their paper catalog for this year. I imagine they'd take modified Uzi mags.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I like the Hahn block the best. I had a Tacblock (crossfire clone). I also have friends that have the RR/Colt block.
Hahn makes two models a bottom and top loader. The bottom loader holds the bolt open after the last round w/ colt mags.
The Hahn block has feed ramps ground in the block. NO other block has this. Also the Hahn block is held in place by a wide roller which is softer on your receiver than the RR/Colt block (RR and Colt use the same block).
Brownells is one source that the the Hahn block.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1548&title=AR-15+9MM+CONVERSION+BLOCK

100000443.jpg

drw

UZI Talk Life Member
Cookie pointed me to the VM-HY-TECH mag well adapter and I couldn't be happier. This adapter uses unmodified Uzi mags. Check www.VMHYTECH.COM or 602-944-3956. This adapter uses the AR/M16 mag catch to hold the adapter in the mag well so there are no set screws to deal with or adjust. The conversion is as quick as an upper and magazine change.

M60joe

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
Just a FYI: A shooting buddy used a Colt style (RRA) adapter. It installs from the bottom. He was shooting then he was going to stop. He removed the mag well adapter then pulled the charging handle back to clear the gun. The only problem is that the ejector is on the mag well adapter. He pulled the trigger just before he was going to change uppers and BOOM. Just a very dumb mistake...

I like the ASA because it drops in from the top (upper receiver is open to install it). But the ASA doesn't have the bolt hold open feature. The top loading blocks rest in the exact same place each time you install them. Top loaders do not have any clamping forces on the lower receiver.

Nothing wrong with the bottom loading adapter. The bottom loading have a lot of slop, so you can mess with the up and down movement (position) of the block in the receiver. I've found the sweat spot for people and pinned the block in place. (AR15 not M16's) If you find your sweet spot (runs great) measure from the bottom of the receiver to the bottom of the mag well adapter so you can repeat the set up.

Go to www.AR15.com , click AR-15, Click Rimfire and Pistol Calibers A lot for you to read there.

Last edited:

ranger55

I have used two different bottom inserts blocks that worked well and one top insert that works well except the 40 rd mags would not go all the way in.
I changed to the HY-TECH mag well adapter this year and have never looked back. One mag for two diferent SMG's, and I have way more good 32 rd Uzi mags than I would ever have of the Colt type.
The only downside to me is gettnig used to not releasing the mag bock and mag at the same time. I have never had much trouble with it, but it can happen.

Last edited:

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Like Joe Black, I'm using an ASA, (American Spirit Arms), mag well adapter with an early Colt upper and 10" barrel. I like being able to use the same mag release and not having to "learn" to use another botton. Drops in from the top, no set screws to tighten so your mag well won't be marred, and the mags lock up solid.

Mario_FAMOInc

UZI Talk Supporter, More toys!
I have the V.M. HyTech block that uses un-altered UZI mags. Mine is a first generation block without the radiused edges, but it works great for me. It didn't like cheap aftermarket or SA mags, but IMI, AA, and IDF 25 and 32 round mags worked fine.

There is a long thread on ar15.com about it in the Rimfire and Pistol Caliber Board HERE

Last edited:

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Here is my 9mm setup (I really liked Amphibian's setup) with the V.M. HyTech block. I have had no functional problems, just muscle memory malfunctions that result in my mag block on the floor. One of these days I want to get a Colt/ASA drop in system since Colt 32rd mags are actually halfway affordable now.

M_J

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, I like my setup too..thanks!
I got a VM Hytech block for a friend and it is great. I would have one too if I didn't already have so many factory Colt mags.

Montana_Jeep, BTW, how do you like the magpul stock?

colt_curved.jpg

Speaking of mags, has anybody tried out the new Pro Mag Colt 9mm mags?
It is polymer but I think it is steel lined like a Glock mag.
From the way it looks, it appears that it has the bolt hold open feature just like the factory Colts.
I've attached a pic

Last edited:

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Amphibian - The Magpul Stock is great! It allows you to keep the same cheek-weld no matter how far you have it extended out. It seems to extend longer than most stocks (maybe its just my imagination) which is good since I have long arms. It is solid and it doesn't rattle. Installation was a breeze! Overall I am very pleased with it. If I hadn't purchased it, I would have bought one of the VLTOR's. M4A3 has one on his Colt and I really like it as well.

Do you have a link for the Pro Mag 32rd mags? If they are as reliable as a Glock mag I would be interested.

M_J

dmsdog

I also have a VM Hytech mag block. I got to use it for the first time this weekend. Tried it out with a Colt 635 upper.

Worked flawlessly. Uses the same mags as my Uzi.

Some of the Uzi mags will not fit, but most will.

dmsdog

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
montana_jeepn said:
Do you have a link for the Pro Mag 32rd mags? If they are as reliable as a Glock mag I would be interested.

M_J [/B]

Below is a link for someone selling the new ProMags.
There was someone selling one on Gunbroker for I think $26.
As I mentioned, I have NO experience w/ them. I'd definitely be interested in knowing if they work.
If they do, I would like to use them for my competition setup for the SMG matches.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/AR15/AR15magazines.asp

JWH 223

UZI Talk Supporter
I ordered 2 of the new Pro-mags today....should have them this week. They are NOT metal lined. That would've been better, but if it's good polymere...should still be o.k.

2 delivered for $58....should be cheaper, but had to check them out.

cookie

Founder
montana_jeepn said:
...just muscle memory malfunctions that result in my mag block on the floor...

Since I only use this particular lower for 9mm, I overtightened the mag release to prevent this from happening.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter