How to make a 45 acp M11A1?

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I REALLY WANT A 45 UPPER FOR MY M11A1 that takes M3 mags.

It think the 45 mag issue would be solved with a magwell in front of the gun like a Max31. How do we graft a M10/45 upper onto a M11A11 front?

Maybe we could:
1. Extend the M10/45 upper to go to the back of the M11A1 where a block would fit under the hood of the 380 lower,
2. Add a narrower section to the bottom of the long M10 upper to allow the wider M10 upper to mount to the 380 lower,
3. Mount a block on the M10 bolt that allows the bolt face to catch on the sear, like a Max31

The extra travel would slow down the ROF of the 45 acp.

Landric

I think a .45 upper for the M11A1 would be fantastic. The easiest way would probably be a conversion to .45 ACP on the M11A1/15 upper, but of course that wouldn't allow for the use of Grease Gun mags. It would also require buying a $3200 upper if one didn't already have it.

At one time I had two M10s with Grease Gun magazine wells. I ended up getting an Uzi conversion to one and selling the other. The M10 with the GG mag in the grip just wasn't as reliable as I would have liked, especially compared to Uzi mags or the MAX-31 uppers. I ended up buying a BRP-Stemple with all the parts to make it either a Suomi clone or the U45SF. I'm still waiting on the transfer for that but I have shot it at the dealer's range. It runs like a top with GG mags and is way softer shooting than the M10/45. It is, however, a lot bigger and heavier than a .45 M11A1 would be. It is too bad Lage doesn't offer such an upper, but I would guess there just isn't that much market for an upper that has less capacity and uses ammo that costs twice as much as the MAX-31 uppers.

Slowmo

I think a .45 upper for the M11A1 would be fantastic. The easiest way would probably be a conversion to .45 ACP on the M11A1/15 upper, but of course that wouldn't allow for the use of Grease Gun mags. It would also require buying a $3200 upper if one didn't already have it.

At one time I had two M10s with Grease Gun magazine wells. I ended up getting an Uzi conversion to one and selling the other. The M10 with the GG mag in the grip just wasn't as reliable as I would have liked, especially compared to Uzi mags or the MAX-31 uppers. I ended up buying a BRP-Stemple with all the parts to make it either a Suomi clone or the U45SF. I'm still waiting on the transfer for that but I have shot it at the dealer's range. It runs like a top with GG mags and is way softer shooting than the M10/45. It is, however, a lot bigger and heavier than a .45 M11A1 would be. It is too bad Lage doesn't offer such an upper, but I would guess there just isn't that much market for an upper that has less capacity and uses ammo that costs twice as much as the MAX-31 uppers.
Did you ever try the Max-10/45 upper?

Slowmo

I REALLY WANT A 45 UPPER FOR MY M11A1 that takes M3 mags.

It think the 45 mag issue would be solved with a magwell in front of the gun like a Max31. How do we graft a M10/45 upper onto a M11A11 front?

Maybe we could:
1. Extend the M10/45 upper to go to the back of the M11A1 where a block would fit under the hood of the 380 lower,
2. Add a narrower section to the bottom of the long M10 upper to allow the wider M10 upper to mount to the 380 lower,
3. Mount a block on the M10 bolt that allows the bolt face to catch on the sear, like a Max31

The extra travel would slow down the ROF of the 45 acp.
I wonder if a taller Max-31a receiver could be used with a weight mounted atop the bolt and the face opened up to .45. Also obviously would require some mods for the magazine.

Though I wonder if a GG single-feed presentation might be too wide to provide a face for the sear/bolt interface. That’s my understanding of why double-feed 9mm mags can’t work with the various Max-31 embodiments.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
I like your idea.

How about a top feed upper like an Owen? That would be interesting and possibly more compact.

iu

StenAtopia

Max31a shortened, Stemple magwell replacing the Max31a magwell. A weighted m11/9 bolt assembly with the bolt face opened for the 45acp round. Replace Max31a Trunnion with a m10/45 Trunnion or drill and retap the existing Trunnion to m10/45 spec. Then you can use GG mags? It can work. If you contact Brian Polling at BRP guns he will hook you up with a 45 magwell and maybe help you some. Ymmv. Good luck.

Slowmo

I like your idea.

How about a top feed upper like an Owen? That would be interesting and possibly more compact.

iu
Top or side feed like a Sten may obviate the issue of having enough area for the sear and bolt to engage that limits the Max-31 series to single feed. Interesting thought.

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
piece of channel to adapt the 45 upper and then an extended sear catch from the 45 bolt to the M11A1 sear

LawBob

This way

ktk120

I think all it would take is someone to do a mag forward magwell like an 11/15 but for a GG mag. The bolt and barrel could be a CMMG delayed blowback. Would be pretty sweet setup

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter