New to HK need suggestions for DLO Box

hawkin

FFL
Two that I know of will do the work. TSC makes a modified carrier/bolt and MM will modify the receiver so you can use a full auto carrier. I haven’t decided which way I will go yet as I just submitted my paperwork. Of course the new housing I bought needed to be clipped and pinned to work with a SP5.

Last edited:

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
I have HKs and clones. My favorite clone in the MP5 class is TPM Outfitters. You can have it built the way you want. They do great work and are reasonable. Their MP5KL is one of my favorite hosts. It is a reverse stretch and a joy to shoot

eodinert

The ATF handbook on nfa items says it's not legal to do as well.

Can you elaborate? I've read the NFA handbook (if that's the ATF handbook you are referring to) and I don't recall seeing that in there.

secondofangle

Can you elaborate? I've read the NFA handbook (if that's the ATF handbook you are referring to) and I don't recall seeing that in there.

Agree this doesn't make sense. If the SP5 without a block is an illegal MG, then an SP89 is an illegal MG. I know the laws and rules are not always logical like this, but it's not something that seems particularly worrisome to me. I am not a victim of the "secret handshake and password" paranoia that tends to penetrate the NFA community.

Just 5 years ago when the John Keyosayian Colts were being liquidated, there were some forums that would not even allow the obvious remakes (with post-1989 restructuring manufacturer markings and A4 lower reinforcements) to be discussed, for fear of stoking up ATF interest. Now the obvious remakes are being openly sold as Keyosayian guns, and touted as desirable because of modern black A4 receivers.

My point is, nobody is being thrown in the clink for innocent mistakes surrounding legit transfers of $40K receivers and trigger packs. It's paranoia.

And TSC has an *obvious* motivation for declaring that converting an SP5 is a no-no. He makes a lot of money refurbishing the old guns, and has his own work-around.

I'm not saying I have the final word on this any more than the next guy. But I don't fear being jailed because MM cut a block off an SP5 to make it an SP89, essentially, for my perfectly legal registered DLO box.

Last edited:

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
FYI -
My understanding is that MM replaces the SP5’s front shelf (that has a hole) with a traditional
semi-auto shelf without a hole before removing the block in the receiver

Gaffshot

I have a PCS and it has been great. It comes sear ready. The wait time was minimal when I got it last summer. Price was right. It is a great host gun.

secondofangle

Yeah, I'm beginning to see where you clone guys are coming from. The prices for HK German guns are astronomical right now. I'm going to get one of these and keep my eyes out for an HK94 or a sear-ready gun worked on by TDyer or TSC or RDTS. I can shoot it in the meantime while my DLO frame is in jail. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902910198

nuge

UZI Talk Life Member
Yeah, I'm beginning to see where you clone guys are coming from. The prices for HK German guns are astronomical right now. I'm going to get one of these and keep my eyes out for an HK94 or a sear-ready gun worked on by TDyer or TSC or RDTS. I can shoot it in the meantime while my DLO frame is in jail. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902910198

Congrats on the DLO Box acquisition! I've gone down both roads with HKs - clones and all German HK hosts, and I shoot both. I have had really good luck with these builders and their products: DJ Getz, TDyer, TPMO, and TSC. Good luck on your HK journey - it will be a fun and learning experience for sure :)

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Fwiw, agree re: DJ Getz work - he made decent yet relatively inexpensive clones - sadly no more…

secondofangle

Was does "reverse stretch" mean in relation to these clones?

Nevermind google figured it out for me. You guys prefer the big or little receiver for your K-variants? Why?

Last edited:

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
FWIW, I prefer the "stretch" for better stock compatibility...

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
They are both fun. As far as cyclic rate with the 9mm guns, a "ballpark" # is around 700 RPM for the full size, 800 RPM for the reverse stretch, and 900 RPM for the K. I find it more difficult to pull doubles with the high cyclic rate of the K. If the trigger is only pulled to the semi auto location, even the K will only fire one round, with the selector in the auto position. With the higher cyclic rate of the K I find it tough to pull the trigger back far enough for automatic fire, but get off the trigger quick enough for just two rounds fired. My personal favorite is the 10mm K. There is just something about the high cyclic rate of a fairly powerful handgun round in such a small package.

Scott

secondofangle

Thanks guys. I'm back full circle to where I started, thinking I'm going to get an SP5 and have it done by Mike Otte.

I have followed GB auctions for several weeks now and it seems that HK94s are going for $5600. If I had kept bidding it would be pushing $6000. By the time I buy one and send it to TSC for a full go-over conversion, I'm going to have $8000-9000 in it. (Side Arm Sams a TDyer one right now, a MP5-K on GB for $9200). For that kind of money I could have a Mac10 and start playing with that.

Mike said he can have me a remarked SP5 starting from a gun he has in stock, and do the receiver and carrier mods and the SEF group for about $4200 out the door. Personally I would not SBR it, just use it as a SEF 9mm host and then have a full German MP5 marked gun. The alternatives are a LCS flat on a German parts kit (RDTS Ralph Jr, or Dakota Tactical) which also appears in the $4000 ballpark if you can find one (2 recently sold here: https://www.hkpro.com/threads/sold-mp5-n-sear-host.535853/#post-3857979), or the PCS or PTR clones for about $2000. I can't seem to find any other clones on GB or the boards right now, and I see no LCS flat German guns for sale right now.

So, since it looks like any day I can get a $2000 clone, I'll pass on that and set my sights on an a higher end German gun. I can do the SP5 deal right now for $4-5k, or screw around with a pre-ban conversion for twice as much. The choice seems obvious to me: a converted SP5 German gun.

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks guys. I'm back full circle to where I started, thinking I'm going to get an SP5 and have it done by Mike Otte.

I have followed GB auctions for several weeks now and it seems that HK94s are going for $5600. If I had kept bidding it would be pushing $6000. By the time I buy one and send it to TSC for a full go-over conversion, I'm going to have $8000-9000 in it. (Side Arm Sams a TDyer one right now, a MP5-K on GB for $9200). For that kind of money I could have a Mac10 and start playing with that.

Mike said he can have me a remarked SP5 starting from a gun he has in stock, and do the receiver and carrier mods and the SEF group for about $4200 out the door. Personally I would not SBR it, just use it as a SEF 9mm host and then have a full German MP5 marked gun. The alternatives are a LCS flat on a German parts kit (RDTS Ralph Jr, or Dakota Tactical) which also appears in the $4000 ballpark if you can find one (2 recently sold here: https://www.hkpro.com/threads/sold-mp5-n-sear-host.535853/#post-3857979), or the PCS or PTR clones for about $2000. I can't seem to find any other clones on GB or the boards right now, and I see no LCS flat German guns for sale right now.

So, since it looks like any day I can get a $2000 clone, I'll pass on that and set my sights on an a higher end German gun. I can do the SP5 deal right now for $4-5k, or screw around with a pre-ban conversion for twice as much. The choice seems obvious to me: a converted SP5 German gun.

Doesn’t look obvious to me. You save thousands of dollars getting a PTR or PCS. Shoot the piss out of it, throw it on the ground and when you accidentally destroy it in your quest to burn more ammo you have money saved to buy another clone

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Just get what you want. This is the nature of being an HK sear owner. If you were choosing a machingun on value you would have made other choices. Why consider value when choosing the host?

If you want the 94 get it, if you prefer the SP5, get it. If you're not sure it matters to you get the PTR in the meantime.

Last edited:

secondofangle

yeah, you guys have done a great job of convincing me that clones are an awesome way to shoot your pack/sear. Thanks!

ScangaNation

DLO packs themselves can only be SEF due to
The hole in the middle of the pack unless you send it out and weld hole for trigger….only “Sears” can be SEF TO 4 position but def need to me sent to the pros akA TSC, MM, RALPH SR/jr RDTS….

Side note Dakota tac are cleannnnn but ETA is year or long wait…JEFF at PARABELLUM COMBAT SYSTEM is an awesome guy and his builds are top notch and like 1-2month build time…TSC, Mm, RDTS if you want “German” parts kits builds then yes

I been thru this ringer and got the “German” builds but shoot the shit out of DAKOTA TACT AND JEFF at PCS love his 51/53 builds and love my DT reverse-s…

**want MM23e*** on the list forsure….

secondofangle

I want it to be SEF only and only a fool would have it modified, that from Mike at TSC himself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter