WTB/Looking for, Colt style 9mm lower.

snipertn

I'm looking for a 9mm Colt style Lower. Does anyone know of any dealer or individual that has one in stock? If you know a individual looking to sell one, I will pass on the FFL info to be shipped to.

Thanks

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
In my mind, if someone is looking for a Colt 9mm lower, that is a very broad category. Colt first started making the 9mm before the machinegun ban in '86. It is my understanding that there are a total of 100 transferable 9mm machine guns. At the time Colt also sold a semi automatic 9mm carbine based on the SP-1 series with the large front pin, slab side, with the complete fire control pocket. There were also some 9mm carbines produced under the "Sporter" with the same configuration as the "SP-1 " series but with a steel block to prevent the installation of an auto sear. There was another change at the start of the National Assault Weapons ban in '94, the version for civilian sales "Match Target " continued to have a steel sear block but did transition to a standard front pin hole but might or might not be drilled for the retaining detent and spring. But the Law Enforcement only carbines had no such block. When Colt transitioned from gray to black around 1999, they also stopped machining the sear area of all semi automatic versions. There is a bunch of fine details that I have left out like fire control pin sizes.

So at the very least, are you looking for gray or black? Do you care whether it says Colt on it or are you looking for a lower with the Colt 9mm two peice blocks pinned in. As I recall Colt did make some 9mm carbines in black with removable 1 peice 9mm magwell blocks. I would think that it would be easier if you posted what you were looking to do with the lower. Just a thought. Good luck with your search for a 9mm lower.

Scott

rescue161

I just use PSA lowers with Hahn permanent blocks and they work just like my Colt 9mm AR. I guess you could use any mil-spec lower as long as you use a good mag block, like the Hahn. I have tried other brands and they all sucked, but the Hahn just plain works.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
I just use PSA lowers with Hahn permanent blocks and they work just like my Colt 9mm AR. I guess you could use any mil-spec lower as long as you use a good mag block, like the Hahn. I have tried other brands and they all sucked, but the Hahn just plain works.

Maybe that has been your experience but it was not mine. I tried both the Hahn dedicated drop in from the top and the drop in from the bottom. I even bought a polished enhanced Hahn and about every 9mm magwell conversion that was available 15 years ago trying to get a Colt M16 RR to run 9mm. I finally gave up when I bought a Fleming HK sear. That was just before I found a deal on a DIAS. I found a Colt pre ban that had the hole for the front push pin. I had a couple of sets of full auto fire control reamed for the large Colt fire control pins, which I thought was better for 9mm. That is probably as close to a Factory Colt 9 mm subgun that I will ever have. The DIAS has always run 100% in the Colt 9mm gun.

Scott

rescue161

I can't tell a difference between my Colt factory 9mm block and my Hahn blocks. Mine is the one that you have to remove the bolt hold-back button to insert the adapter.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
The Colt block has a Ram that is straight across. The Hahn has feed ramps that line up with each side of the Colt 9mm magazine feed positions. The Hahn feed ramps reminds me of a large version of the feed ramps in the 5.56X45 AR barrel extension. I don't think that it can be much more Mil Spec than an actual Colt M16. I did buy and try the Hahn block that comes in from the top and requires the removal of the standard bolt catch and installation of the 9mm extended mag catch. All of them never worked reliably.

Scott

rescue161

You are correct. I just looked at them side by side. Not sure what I was thinking. I did try another brand, before the Hahn and it failed, big time. It looked more like the Colt with the flat feed ramp, so maybe that's where I got confused. It had some set screws to hold it in place, but it worked itself loose before I could finish one magazine. I tried thread locker and tightened it so tight that it marred up the mag well of the lower. It still wouldn't stay put. The Hahn that I have was very tight and has a roller on the front of it to keep tension. Once it is in, it does not move at all. The bolt catch arm on the Colt is very long. On the Hahn, it uses the normal bolt catch and the adapter itself catches the mag follower and then pushes the factory bolt catch. I had a lot of trouble with the first block, so I may have tried to get the alignment perfect when putting in the Hahn. Not sure, but I was certainly sold and bought another one for another gun. I took a couple of pics, but forgot that I no longer have photobucket...

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Looking back, I figured out that the biggest problem was that I was using the 9mm conversion in my Colt gun for competition. Mag changes are done as quickly as possible. So the mags is incerted forcefully, then pull down to be sure that the mag is actually locked in. The ramp of all the 9mm magwell adapters stops the mag from being over incerted. This tends to drive the magwell block up. The only thing to stop the magwell block from being pushed up is the mag catch as the mag catch sticks through the block. Pulling down on the mag doesn't pull the block down. So this tends to make the ejector, which is mounted in the 9mm block, higher. So the ejector could rub on the bottom of the bolt, slowing it down. If the shell hits the ejector softly, the shell won't eject, which causes function problems.

The pinned in block fixed that problem. But I already had a converted 94 with the Fleming sear. I could never get the blowback Colt to run as smoothly as the roller delayed, so I used the Fleming sear for subgun matches. The radial delayed blowback system from CMMG is cool but has been plagued with ejector spring problems.

Scott

rescue161

I am using RRA 9mm uppers, which do look like the Colt, with the gas deflector and all.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter