Uzi Recommendations

mastermind33

Banned
Guys, I contemplating a purchase of an Uzi and would like some feedback from anyone who already owns one. The unit I am considering is a Vector Uzi, full rig (gun/both stocks/mags etc.) in new condition. I have heard that the Vector units are supposed to be the most reliable and functional, but what do I know.

Kramer

Personally I would go with an IMI unit. The vectors has some issues. But that's just me.

tac556

Are you looking at a semi version or a SMG?

Some Vector semi builds were done on Action Arms receivers, I have one and SBR’d it, great gun.

If it is an SMG, if the price is right they can be made to run well if needed.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Imho, can’t go wrong with a vector smg

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
I had 2 Vector SMGs, one Full and one Mini, both were 100% reliable for me. The Full was GTG in 9mm, .45, and .22 FA.

SecondAmend

I'm the second owner of a full size Vector Uzi SMG since 2006. The Uzi was made from one of the last of the Group Industries receivers as one of the last SMGs made by Vector (early May,'86). Many trouble free thousands of rounds of 9mm. I have shot .45 ACP and .22LR with the conversions, but a lot lower round count. The .22LR conversion took a bit of tweaking to get reliable that is all detailed in the pinned "Trouble shooting" guide.
In 2017 I bought a semi auto Vector Mini Uzi (as it turns out it, too, is one of the last made by Vector), and it has always shot well.
That said, for semi or properly converted full auto, I'd buy an IMI gun at the right price over a Vector, just for the panache.
Best of luck with whatever you get.
MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

bayoutank

There are many different manufacturers and conversions, that is all a matter of your taste and availability. The more important part of the purchase is making sure the Uzi (any weapon) you are going to buy has been properly taken care of and will run safely.
If you have access to it I would ask to run a few different ammo manufacturers through and inspect it before/afterwards. Does not hurt to ask and give you piece of mind. Good luck in your purchase.

-bayoutank
IMI Action Arms and BTY mine runs great on just about every type of 9mm I have put in it

mastermind33

Banned
Are you looking at a semi version or a SMG?

Some Vector semi builds were done on Action Arms receivers, I have one and SBR’d it, great gun.

If it is an SMG, if the price is right they can be made to run well if needed.

I'm looking to get a SMG and my price range is 19k. That should get me one that will run well without hassle lol

pmf

I've had a Vector full size for 20 years. Not a single problem. Are they really up to $19K?

If you get an IMI, make sure you know the details about how it was converted -- they all started life as semi autos. Not all conversions are equal.

And if you see a bolt gun cheap, consider it. I've got 22 and 45 conversions that I haven't used in forever. The 22 is just too finicky. You'll probably end up just shooting 9mm out of whatever you get.

Benaj

I just bought a Vector. It ran great during test firing.

The prices are all over and climbing.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Search the Forum; this is a fair but common question.

I have a GI / Vector and because (I think) the receiver is out of spec or trunnion not aligned well, I can't replace the original barrel with any other barrel. The GI / Vector barrel has a lot of chamfer on the breech, both inside AND outside. What happens with a non-Vector barrel is the bolt slightly hits the breech of the barrel, slows it down and I get light strikes. Top cover adjustment tests didn't yield any cure. Seems to me like the barrel is pointing down a smidge, the breech is too high and the bolt hits the top of the barrel.

I did get one other barrel to work by filing and polishing the outer edge.

Anyway, if I were to do this all over again, an IMI receiver gun would be my first choice. A Vector / GI with video of it running and ideally with two different factory unaltered barrels would be #2. Slotted bolts would be off my list.

pmf

There's folks here who consider Vectors inferior guns and will tell you they are 'out of spec' whatever that means. I have put different surplus lowers, barrels and a sear into mine and they all fit in just fine. The 45 conversion has a converted grease gun lower that drops right it. Both the 22 and 45 conversions require barrel swaps. Some of the early Vectors had problems, but I think you'll find most Vector owners completely happy with their guns. My brother bought a converted IMI and had to pay to get additional work done on it. So IMI's aren't universally perfect either. For $19k, I'd consider asking the seller if you can test fire it and taking a trip.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
My take on it:

I own both multiple Vector and IMI RRs and I don't really see any difference.

There are prob >10x more Vector RRs than IMI conversions in the registry.
IMHO, unless there are 10x more Vector guns with issues, Vectors are in aggregate statistically superior.
When Vector built their SMGs, they built full proper SMG-spec guns.

There are some oddball/poor RR UZI conversions that I would avoid (e.g slotted bolt + didn't remove blocking bar).
For somebody who knows little about UZIs. getting a factory Vector known to run avoids 99% of all issues.

Sight unseen, I'd take a factory Vector over a Billy-Bob garage converted IMI.
Looked over, they are the same.

Last edited:

SecondAmend

My take on it:
There are prob >10x more Vector RRs than IMI conversions in the registry.
IMHO, unless there are 10x more Vector guns with issues, Vectors are in aggregate statistically superior.
When Vector built their SMGs, they built full proper SMG-spec guns...

Based on discussions on the old Subguns board a few years ago, it's actually about 50/50. There's estimated to be about 8,500 total transferrable Uzis, including registered bolts. There were 4,050 Group Industry (GI) receivers made and registered of which GI assembled and sold about 600 with Vector eventually finishing out the rest. B&G made 950 registered bolts, and IIRC, a few others were made by different entities.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.

Timbuk2000

UZI Talk Supporter
I have a Group, Vector and IMI conversion. All 3 were fully reconditioned by BWE and fire full auto flawlessly. UZIs are a great choice given the services available to keep them running well.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter