Unique FNC scope mount...

FN Around

Really curious if @paco has seen one like this... I recently acquired a unique FNC scope/mount that I understand to have been made as proposal for the AK5. I don’t know the veracity of that, and am not too concerned about it as I don’t have an AK5, but it seemed like a nice option to have on my FNC.

DE5A2963-015B-4B2B-AD76-D6DC1C993AEE.jpeg

The scope looks like standard FNC, the major difference being that it’s set quite a bit further than any other scope mount I have seen. Kinda nice as it seems to place it in a more comfortable position for correct eye relief.

47A4AFB4-DF7B-440C-BF5B-2C0D10480B66.jpeg

I don’t have any others to reference but it looks pretty normal to me though there is nothing on the side of the turret to denote bullet weight

A98C74FE-B1DF-4F86-ACDE-89EE3F4AEC74.jpeg

FN Around

The front end is slightly different in that it is steel and it’s attached via screws to the remainder of the mount

086DFE05-DB16-43B4-8639-DDAB4EC2DAD4.jpeg

Underside compared to a normal FNC scope mount showing the different front end and also shows the setback difference on the scope

410ECAFD-F76D-4D20-9299-C656BD155292.jpeg

I’m thinking that this may predate the AK5 program as the scope and mount look quite a bit more worn than other AK5 optics in my collection (that’s a subject for another thread) and the scope seems to be quite a bit more “primitive” than I would expect for the AK5. No provision for illumination and just generally a older looking scope design similar to the earlier Hensoldt scopes. The mount has 001 stamped by hand on the left side which makes me think it was perhaps a prototype.

F2B2D8FB-19AA-4534-8266-DFDFEFD31DBE.jpeg

Anybody ever see one like this or have any insight on its history? My guess is that if it was tested for the AK5 it was probably a mount originally made much earlier and the scope was just a regular FNC scope as the SN isn’t anything special.

FN Around

No real data about that carry handle optic or any of the others apart from reading various things online. For some reason I recall reading someplace that there were ten examples made but that is my shaky memory grasping at unconfirmed numbers. I do have one of them, can’t remember which magnification, and of all the AK5 optics it’s my least favorite. Tiny little sight aperture and the whole thing seems like it was just kinda pieced together with some assorted bits. I have tried to pick up all of the major variants of the AK5 trials optics that have become available. I did pass on the Aimpoint as it looked exactly like any other, just slightly used.

The Hensoldts are really my favorite of the rejected AK5 trials optics. There is something I really like about a actual reticle, whether it be crosshairs or donut of death, backed up with illumination of some variety. For the moment they are all sitting in a box unused but I have been considering mounting them up to some other rifles as I’m unable to afford another half dozen FNCs just to mount them up on their correct-ish platform.

AGG

Nothing certain, but I have heard something similar--- 10-20 in each magnification.

Tony

paco

Interesting scopemount. Never seen any with serials like that.
5,56 FN scopes have markings on the BDC. like SS109 or 5,56.
If nothing is visible, i think it is a regular scope cammed for 7,62 NATO.

Not so sure it is a comfy scope since the eye relief looks to be odd to me.

FN Around

Glad to see you weigh in on it... On closer inspection it is marked 109 on the turret. The picture looks terrible as I can’t seem to upload pics unless I make them really small.

A7D39949-74D0-4EDC-B0DA-BEDDF4E72345.jpeg

As far as the eye relief goes I find it to be a little more natural than my previous setup which was a regular FNC scope mount with a Hensoldt Z24. Maybe I just hold the rifle weird? But I don’t get to use a rifle much in my branch of the military... I wouldn’t mind having an FNC at work but there isn’t a good place for it in the cockpit :)

There were a bunch of unique optics that allegedly came out of the AK5 upgrade project. A couple very compact sights from Mepro, a bunch of different Hensoldt designs in 1.5 and 3x magnification. Most of the Hensoldts seem awkwardly large on the FNC, they look much more natural on the F2000. Then that carry handle type optic. At some point I need to pick up an original rail top FNC mount as I’m currently resorting to a Stormwerkz.

FN Around

If you were to take a closer look at the pictures on Robert RTG you would probably notice that the SN on the scope even matches! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter