To buy a Colt M16A1 or not?

azdskin

UZI Talk Supporter
I have been tempting myself with picking up a transferable Colt M16A1. I would really like one but the fact that they are in the $13K price range kills me. It’s not a question if I can afford it or not. I’m just not sure that any firearm is worth that much money. I already own several full auto's to include a post sample Bushmaster. I have several semi AR's also. I had thought about selling off a couple of my duplicate full auto's to pay for the M16A1. I doubt that I would shoot it anyway because of its value. Any more, I don't shot any of my transferables. I only shoot the post samples.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

David in Iraq

Attachments

• dsc019481.jpg
    dsc019481.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 2,145
Last edited:

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
A Colt M16A1 was my first MG back in 2002. Then I thought the $7500 asking price was absolutely nuts, but it was my holy grail. I had the chance to buy a NIB for the same price, but I wanted an MG to shoot! I have picked up 2 more MGs and some suppressors, but the A1 is still my favorite. I also sold all my semi-auto 5.56s. The Colt has a switch for that.

You have an option I don't, the posties to shoot. I might not have bought the transferrable M16 if I was in your position. YMMV

tony k

FFL/C&R
My first was a Colt M16A1. and like both of you, I had to do a sanity check before handing over all that money -- it was more than I could imagine paying for a gun.

But then I figured life was short, and no more transferables were being made, so with any luck I wouldn't have to take a loss on it if I decided to sell. The dealer offered to pick up the sales tax, so I paid the $2,000 + $200 transfer tax.

I bet I could sell it for more today than I paid ... in 1994.:D

In your shoes, David, I would buy the Colt, but then to me it's one of the ultimate MGs, and I consider myself fortunate to own one. I don't think I could leave it at home on range days, even if I had my own posties ... geez, I'm a traditionalist.

buzzer

UZI Talk Life Member
BUY IT NOW !!!!!

$13K ? That's beans ! Take a look at the going rate for Colt Model of 1921A Thompsons. They are pushing $30k for one in any kind of decent shape. 2 years ago they were 1/3 that price and everyone said it was nuts and could not go any higher.

When I first got interested in getting a mini Uzi, I talked to a Class 3 SOT at a show that had one for $4400, in 2002. I thought it was crazy and walked away. After I found this board, I got interested again and started shopping. I watched them go from $5500 (for a really good deal) to $6000 to $6500 before my eyes, in like a week ! I nailed one at $6400. By the time the transfer was complete, it is now worth $7500 or so.

When thinking about buying an NFA weapon, and how insane the cost is, BUY IT RIGHT NOW !! Not next week - NOW NOW NOW.

Good luck !

BTW - if you are in Iraq - stay safe !!

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
The COLT M16A1 carbine in MINT....

...condition is probably one of THE hottest transferables on the current & future investment market.

With POF, HKM4 & SHRIKE gas piston uppers becoming available... along with Lakeside's .22 belt-fed upper next year... the SKY is the limit!

My carbine is the most versatile weapon that I own & would certainly be the last one that I would part with.

JUST DO IT!!!

:D

jwp

wanted a shooter so i got an ea converted 16 with 9mm oly upper too 5400$ 3 years ago [18mo transfer too] and am i pleased

AKman

UZI Talk Supporter
I have question for all of you. Why don’t you shot you Transferable ? I was under the impression that the original manufacture can recast the receiver with same numbers as long as it was a factory gun and not a conversion is these true ????

azdskin

UZI Talk Supporter
As far as my understanding of the NFA act of 1934 goes. It did not have provisions to allow for replacement of demaged or destroyed MG receivers in the law. The AWB of 1994 had provisions for repair or replacement of damaged or destroyed semi auto receivers and high caps mags.

I don't shoot my transferables because I have the option of post samples. The full auto Bushmaster in the above pic ony cost me $700 compared to a $13K to $14K transferable. It is by far my favorite MG to shoot.

I realize that I will not always have to option of the post sample. So I have to make for lost time and pick up the transferables I don't have.

azdskin

UZI Talk Supporter
Well I did it.....

I could'nt take it anymore. I had to have one. I just closed the deal on a 99% Colt M16A1. It should be sitting in my safe by the time I come for R&R from Iraq.

Attachments

• m16a1b3-1.jpg
    m16a1b3-1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,992
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter