Time to dust off the Colt

buzzer

UZI Talk Life Member
This forum is great for me b/c I have been thinking about dusting off my Colt HBAR Sporter and looking at upgrade options. I was going to venture out into the wilds of AR15.com and the likes and see what I could learn. Now, help is available right here at good ol UziTalk !

What I have is a post ban Colt Sporter HBAR, with (if I remember correctly), a match grade heavey barrel. I bought this gun back in 1994, just after the ban went into affect and Sporters came out.

The day I bought it I decided to go for the match grade barrel, full stock etc, for accuracy verses shorty barrel, telescoping stock etc. for smaller size and larger coolness factor.

Since the end of the ban, I have seen proliferation of AR platform products, and prices dropping. So I am thinking about getting an upper with short barrel, Picatinny rail, etc. I dont really know much about what is out there and its a bit overwhelming.

What I want to end up with is something along the lines of an M4.

There is Olympic, DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster, Colt, Calvary , GSE, Eagle, Armscor, etc. etc.

Where should I start ?

Thanks !

buzzer

UZI Talk Life Member
Any opinions on what the Colt is worth. Its post ban. I am out of town right now so I cant go look at it but as I recall, the flash hider is pinned and there is a sear block welded in to prevent installation of FA internals. Not sure what else they did to the Sporters.

It has been well cared for but has certainly been fired - probably 1000 rounds or so through it. The carry handle is removable.

I probably will not go SBR - too much of a hassle. If I want to sit through another personal interview with the CLEOs investigator, it will be for another NFA weapon or a can for my incoming mini.

What is an Arms SIR ?

Thanks !

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Buzzer,
Just an FYI, I have a buddy that is getting his own lowers made by the same company that makes them for Bushmaster. He has signed a contract to purchase "x" amount every month for a year. "x" is a substantial number so I think he will want to be moving them.
He frequents the gun shows here in FL. I'm not sure how much I can say at this time.
I am going to try to get him to have a presence on these boards.
He is also a good source for all your AR needs.

Ed

UZI Talk Supporter
The AR-15 is the ultimate adult MR. Potato Head...go nuts!! If you dont like it, take it off and change it back. I would have bushmaster install a flash hider and bayonet lug (just to do it), you can send the upper and hold on to the lower and the bolt till they return your upper. OR you can get a new upper and put a straight free float tube on your emasculated upper and turn it into a varmit popper..just remeber to post pic's here (so we can drool over your work)...good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter