Tapco MPA mags formerly Tapco Sten mags?

xm15e2s

Has anyone tried the new Tapco MPA poly mags in their Sten?

These mags were formerly called Tapco Sten/MPA mags then Tapco remade them due to fitting problems in the MPA pistols.

Tapco then removed all reference to the word "sten" in their product description.

Its basically the same mag as before but with a very slight difference.

The story from Tapco goes.............Tapco had too many problems with all the variations between making the mag work in 3 different firearms so then just focused on the MPA instead of the MPA,Sten,"sterling???"

Has anyone tried this new version in the sten????????????????

They can be had for as little as $15.99

I am hoping it ends up being the Pmag for the sten.

Last edited:

dawg180

Ar-15 Guru, Uzi Novice
Haven't tried them, but why would you want to use aftermarket polymer mags when real metal Sten mags are only around $12 ea?

xm15e2s

1.very light compared to steel
2.spring tension much less for easier loading
3.holds more rounds than steel up to 35?
4.easier to grip with aggressive ribs
5.self lubricating poly

and the top reason
6. consistent manufacturing dimensions making each mag almost exactly alike. The top problem with steel mags is that there are way too many variations out there and that requires a user to hand pick each mag that will work best for their gun.

I ordered a few and will report if they are usable.

xm15e2s

I got some of these mags today.

STAY AWAY from these mags!

They are crap for use in the STEN!

They have the correct dimensions of a Sten mag. Unloaded, they fit and appear to function correctly. They lockup and fit the magwell. They even feed a few dummy rounds correctly.

When you load the mag, the mag begins to swell and buldge. At about 15 rounds the mag will no longer fit in the magwell.

If they didnt swell, they would be usable BUT as is they will not work in my sten.

Metal sten mags work in the MPA pistols from what I have been told. They must have a much wider magwell in order for these Tapco mags to work. Then again, maybe these Tapco mags dont even work in the MPA pistol.

Last edited:

nirvana

I got some of these mags today.

STAY AWAY from these mags!

They are crap for use in the STEN!

They have the correct dimensions of a Sten mag. Unloaded, they fit and appear to function correctly. They lockup and fit the magwell. They even feed a few dummy rounds correctly.

When you load the mag, the mag begins to swell and buldge. At about 15 rounds the mag will no longer fit in the magwell.

If they didnt swell, they would be usable BUT as is they will not work in my sten.

Metal sten mags work in the MPA pistols from what I have been told. They must have a much wider magwell in order for these Tapco mags to work. Then again, maybe these Tapco mags dont even work in the MPA pistol.

I had heard only bad things about these mags. Thanks for biting the bullet on this one to see whether or not they changed any.

prdubi

I'm resurrecting this thread because I bought some recently from CDNN and they all functioned perfectly. I only bought 6 of them and they worked perfectly in my setup which is a SWD m11 9mm with a lage kit.
Purchased them in February and they came fast. They fit and dropped in my Sten conversion m11. They were a tight fit when the price stickers were on it but after removing it and cleaning up the glue from it. They functioned fine.
Baffled on the issues with it but I'm happy with it.

garayg

I ordered some a while back, and at a pretty good price. I recently finally got to use them on a Wise Lite Sterling Sporter. The Sterling has its own magazines but can also use Sten mags. The TAPCO polymer mags worked flawlessly so as far as my experience, they're good. And lighter than the Sten metal mags, or the original Sterling mags.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
I have an Olympic Arms 9mm AR-15 upper that uses sten mags. I use these in it and I think they work great. I haven’t had any problems with the mags swelling. Last year I bought 10 of them from someone on the board here.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter