Tabs for converting sten mags for the max 31s

Deerhurst

Oh jeeze dude, I haven't been on this forum in a month but whoa what the heck. I remember talking to you about the wedding.

Whatever is going on I hope you guys work through it and in the end it's nothing more than an experience both of you shared around the time of your wedding that you can talk about with your grandkids!
Thank you.

She is healing up fast. Should be healed enough to walk down the isle by the wedding.

Thankfully she has the same twisted sense of humor as I do and I asked the nurse to add a lobotomy to the surgery and she said liposuction. The nurse thought we were crazy or something. Ha! There were even toe tag jokes after the surgery.

I need to get back into the shop and make some chips soon. Gotta see what I have for material. I feel bad keeping folks waiting.

GunsCarsPlanes

I need to get back into the shop and make some chips soon.
Who cares man... the guns will always be, the memory of how you spent time during/after the medical issues will never be forgotten. You obviously sound like you have your priorities down pat I'm just thinking out loud over here.

I received the max11k upper, wtfffff it's so nice. I seriously need to get one of the 223 uppers, I want one so bad it's making me think irresponsibly finance wise.

Deerhurst

Who cares man... the guns will always be, the memory of how you spent time during/after the medical issues will never be forgotten. You obviously sound like you have your priorities down pat I'm just thinking out loud over here.

I received the max11k upper, wtfffff it's so nice. I seriously need to get one of the 223 uppers, I want one so bad it's making me think irresponsibly finance wise.
She is recovering well. Out and causing chaos already! I just don't think it's right to keep people wanting.

I did find a chunk of material that looks like I blanked it out for more tabs. Gotta get the prints and calipers out.

I'll help with financial irresponsibility. The Max15 is awesome. Expensive but I am glad I bought mine. I do need to get the vice block for it.

GunsCarsPlanes

I do need to get the vice block for it.
What does the vice block do, is it like the AR type where you use the block to hold the upper by the mag well or something?

Oh btw, if you're going to be making stuff can I get a 223 upper and maybe 2 or 3 slow fire bolts just so I have the inventory? ;)

Deerhurst

What does the vice block do, is it like the AR type where you use the block to hold the upper by the mag well or something?

Oh btw, if you're going to be making stuff can I get a 223 upper and maybe 2 or 3 slow fire bolts just so I have the inventory? ;)
The vice block supports the receiver so it does not get damaged when removing or installing the barrel nut. One for an AR typically has an insert the replaced the bolt and a clamshell over the outside you grab with the vice. Reduces the chance of twisting the receiver.

Hopefully I'll have free time to do stuff like that eventually. First thing on the MAC list is a 22LR upper. I have a PM-63 to build before I get to MAC upper, well, I just have to design the FCG and get it to run.

The slow fire bolts are pricy. The raw materials are pricy.

Maybe I'll have to get a SOT and quit my day job to play with guns! I'm still trying to figure that one out, I'd like to have something I can do to make enough income to live comfortably without working for someone else.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
That'd be nice, I could see myself shooting so much more often
I can tell you the Lage .22 kit is really nice, and I shot one of the nicest and it was reliable with CCI mini-mags, which at the time I owned one were .13 a shot. At that time I was getting 9mm for about the same so I let it go for what I paid. I regret selling it just because, but I won't be interested in buying another one unless someone can come out with one that can shoot bulk .22 reliably.

Deerhurst

22 would just be so much fun. Shooting bulk junk is my goal.

Too bad there are only 24hrs in a day.

GunsCarsPlanes

I won't be interested in buying another one unless someone can come out with one that can shoot bulk .22 reliably.
I thought Lage had a 22 upper but I didn't see it on the website.

So it was well known that the uppers have issue with bulk quality .22? I knew someone back in MA that had 12-15 MG's, one of which was a rifle looking MG with a drum that sat flat & on top and that as well had issues with .22 ammo.

Deerhurst

The Lage 22LR upper as far as I know is M11 only and has been out of production for a while.

Bulk 22LR isn't known for its consistentcy. That will cause issues.

The one you are thinking of is likely an American 180. Little bitty buzz saw. The #1 guy in the nation for those is 30-45 minutes from my house. I can't believe I have never been to his shop.

Got that chunk of steel (4-5" long) faced to the thickest size. No idea what I did with the parallels I used to make the last set so I'll probably have to make a set of those before I can do the next feature. Not willing to crash the cutter into the jaws of my vice since the final thickness puts the cutter below the top of my jaws and must be to the edge of the part. Once that's done I get to put the angle on it and part them then clean them up to final width. Out of 4" of material I should be able to get 9-12 of them. They are just under 1/4" wide.

Deerhurst

iu1IuGVh.jpg

Ready to be cut into tabs and trimmed to final width. Plus add the radius on the top. I should invest in a 20° cutter if I'm going to make much more of these. It's difficult to do the angles cut and not bend the material. Longer the blank the worse it is.

Just working on these while I have a few spare minutes.

Landric

iu1IuGVh.jpg

Ready to be cut into tabs and trimmed to final width. Plus add the radius on the top. I should invest in a 20° cutter if I'm going to make much more of these. It's difficult to do the angles cut and not bend the material. Longer the blank the worse it is.

Just working on these while I have a few spare minutes.

Are you planning on selling these tabs? I have a bunch of STEN mags lying around and I sold my STEN Mk. II to fund a BRP-Stemple Suomi. It would be great to have a use of the mags.

Deerhurst

Are you planning on selling these tabs? I have a bunch of STEN mags lying around and I sold my STEN Mk. II to fund a BRP-Stemple Suomi. It would be great to have a use of the mags.
Yes. Folks have asked for some tabs. I'm pretty sure I'll be needing to make more.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I have some of Concord's last batch of tabs somewhere, they are dear to me now and I just want to keep them to remember the cool dude himself. Thanks for keeping that alive.

Deerhurst

I have some tabs going out ASAP. Might be a few left. I do plan to make another run which will likely be started around the middle of May (after the wedding). I'll go pick up some more flat bar and get back to making chips.

If I end up making quite a few I will likely figure out a jig or fixture to make them easy. Right now I'm shaping the round of the top by hand which isn't real constant and burns my fingers. Should also refine my machining process. My shop (garage) isn't set up as well I would like.

PM me with how many you need and I will get a list going and build up some stock.

It's not my day job but one of my hobbies. I try to get things done ASAP but sometimes life gets in the way.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter