suppressor on a SABRE

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
does anyone ever run a suppressor on their SABRE?
without an adjustable gas block and the somewhat "proprietary" buffer system, I have concerns about suppressing mine and am looking for guidance.
seems like I saw a thread once where a gentleman put a heavier buffer in his and slowed the cycle rate down (which I think would help in this scenario), but I cant find it.
while I feel sure this will be addressed by Mr Lage (and I'm on the list), I'd rather not turn a fun and functional upper into a paper weight because I broke something trying to suppress it.

at the end of the day, it may not be the world's greatest platform to suppress, but I shoot everything with a can on it and would like to continue that trend here, if possible.

mine is on a m11/9 if it matters

TIA

Sten

UZI Talk Supporter
When I had my SABRE without the adjustable gas block, I did run it a few times suppressed. It definitely increases the rate of fire, but I had no problems with it. A heavier buffer should slow it down a bit.
I had already purchased an adjustable gas block so I just upgraded it to that and never looked back. I ran it on a M11/9.

I also swapped out the barrel and bolt to a 7.62x39 and had that working quite well. Occasionally mags would cause issues, but I did have a few that always ran reliably.

Rob

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
When I had my SABRE without the adjustable gas block, I did run it a few times suppressed. It definitely increases the rate of fire, but I had no problems with it. A heavier buffer should slow it down a bit.
I had already purchased an adjustable gas block so I just upgraded it to that and never looked back. I ran it on a M11/9.

Rob

I didnt know an adjustable one was offered at one point. interesting. guess that's part of the game buying a product from a defunct company. (which I knew going into it).

how fast was the rate of fire? I dont find the existing to be uncontrollable.

I guess my biggest concern is beating something to death accidentally.
*given I've run exactly 3 mags thru it in the 4 months I've owned it....

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
As far as slowing ROF for suppression, I'd look into a Vltor https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/stocks/aebk-a5-vltor-a5-stock-combo-kit/ A5 stock. The buffer is bigger than a standard carbine buffer. Slash makes a super heavy buffer http://heavybuffers.com/vltor.html that is 10 ozs. Adding more mass to the bolt group adds extra strain on the bolt group and op rod. If it were me, I'd leave the S.A.B.R.E. alone. There are a bunch of custom parts that would be very expensive to have replacements made.

Scott

BTW, To be clear an adjustable gas block was never made by AA. Another member here (the same guy that made the upper that Richard's upper is based) made them.

Sten

UZI Talk Supporter
I didnt know an adjustable one was offered at one point. interesting. guess that's part of the game buying a product from a defunct company. (which I knew going into it).

how fast was the rate of fire? I dont find the existing to be uncontrollable.

I guess my biggest concern is beating something to death accidentally.
*given I've run exactly 3 mags thru it in the 4 months I've owned it....

That's correct, Mac91 made an adjustable gas block. I had a stock saber that I removed the gas block from and reinstalled the adjustable one.

I never measured the exact rate of fire, but if I remember right it was about 900 RPM.

I don't think it would beat itself to death, but I didn't really run it all that often.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
I've run several thousand rounds through a sabre suppressed with an adjustable gas block. Had it out at the NUTS shoot in TX. Several people shot it. ROF was around 600 or so if I remember right.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
I've run several thousand rounds through a sabre suppressed with an adjustable gas block. Had it out at the NUTS shoot in TX. Several people shot it. ROF was around 600 or so if I remember right.

oof. that sounds nice.....
have to message the man, then.
thanks yall!

nmooer

Before mak91 adj. Gas block I collapsed a huntertown 308 can. Got really lucky. I know there are better cans out there. But be carfull with long bursts were rate of fire increases.

Rodbndr

UZI Talk Life Member
I just got my OPS Inc. 16th out of jail and will be running it with the Vitor setup Evil posted about. I would have liked to have one of those AGB in the mix. Hope all goes well.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
Before mak91 adj. Gas block I collapsed a huntertown 308 can. Got really lucky. I know there are better cans out there. But be carfull with long bursts were rate of fire increases.

how do you collapse a can? I've heard of cans failing in multiple ways, but never collapsing.

nmooer

Had a k baffle push down at a 45 degree angle. It crushed one baffle. I will see if I can find pics.

nmooer

I was lucky. I was done shooting and took the can off and it was rattling. The 223 was still shooting out of the 30 cal hole. No baffle strikes.

Attachments

• silencer_n0hKCZ.jpg
    silencer_n0hKCZ.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 146

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
I was lucky. I was done shooting and took the can off and it was rattling. The 223 was still shooting out of the 30 cal hole. No baffle strikes.

super lucky. guessing the baffles are aluminum and collapsed around the hole in the side?
not to be an ass, but I havent really heard much good about those suppressors.
the can I would use is an older, stainless YHM can, which I'm sure can handle the abuse. was my first rifle caliber can years ago and has been run almost exclusively on 10.5" barreled SBRs. not a super high round count, but no worse for wear yet, either. obviously full auto makes the wear kinda go up exponentially though.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
I was one of those people who shot it. It was very pleasant and the adjustable block worked very well.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
super lucky. guessing the baffles are aluminum and collapsed around the hole in the side?
not to be an ass, but I havent really heard much good about those suppressors.
the can I would use is an older, stainless YHM can, which I'm sure can handle the abuse. was my first rifle caliber can years ago and has been run almost exclusively on 10.5" barreled SBRs. not a super high round count, but no worse for wear yet, either. obviously full auto makes the wear kinda go up exponentially though.

Took me about 25k of FA fire to erode the blast baffle enough on a old YHM 5.56 (steel, no Inconel) that I was getting baffle strikes. When I notified YHM they offered to rebuild or replace it. I opted for the latter since we are an SOT. New can is SS and Inc.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
Took me about 25k of FA fire to erode the blast baffle enough on a old YHM 5.56 (steel, no Inconel) that I was getting baffle strikes. When I notified YHM they offered to rebuild or replace it. I opted for the latter since we are an SOT. New can is SS and Inc.

that's great info!
one of the reasons I have several YHM cans is their outstanding customer service. (not that I've had to use it yet).
I probably wont ever get to 25k rounds, but good to know I could!

sausagemc

I personally ran a saber suppressed by taking a 10–24 set screw and tapping it up into the gas block. Once I did that I drilled a .07 inch hole in it so that the gas was reduced. Ran like a sewing machine.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
I personally ran a saber suppressed by taking a 10–24 set screw and tapping it up into the gas block. Once I did that I drilled a .07 inch hole in it so that the gas was reduced. Ran like a sewing machine.

thank you!
you dont happen to have a picture of where you punched the hole, do you?
not sure I'll go this route, but information is always appreciated!

West_Texas_King

UZI Talk Supporter
I have Sten's old SABRE upper, and I run it exclusively suppressed with a Specwar.
With the adjustable gas block and heavy buffer running unsuppressed, I wasn't getting enough gas to make it cycle properly.
The Specwar gave it just enough extra backpressure to run smooth and slow, however.
Highly recommend it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter