Sten MKII Dummy Barrel

Suprasonic

Does anyone know someone who makes or sells a dummy barrel for a MKII Sten? Desert Fox lists one for sale, but they told me they wouldn’t be making any more.

If not, does anyone have or know where I could get a worn out barrel to weld up to be nonfunctional?

Suprasonic

Do you think that’s the most reasonable alternative? I’m guessing welding one side close would do the trick.

I was hoping to contact a manufacturer and ask them to just not drill all the way through.

Thanks Brenbuilds.

Suprasonic

A little off topic, but just how ruff were some of the parts on original Stens? I just purchased a T-stock, and it seems…rough. Now I know Stens we’re not assembled with much care, during a time of war over 70 years ago, and on top of that they’ve passed though possibly hundreds of hand and been cut up into parts kits. I’m wondering how much of what I’m looking at is original and how much is years of abuse.

Much of the finish is gone, but all the welds look solid. The tube has a fair amount of pitting and the shoulder piece edges are all dinged up. There’s no actual existing rust, nothing orange. I’d like to refinish it to match my MKII which came with the hoop stock.

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
You can deactivate the barrel by welding the chamber. If you don't have a welder, take JB weld and fine steel wool and mix them together to make a very hard structural matrix. Drilling the chamber is also an option.

As far as part condition; rough and crude is the nature of STEN parts. Hastily made with sloppy welds, was sort of the brilliance of the firearm. It was cheap, crude and quick to make. Many also saw extensive use, so many parts are worn. British parts often have a crown, BMP or various subcontractor markings. Pakistani parts often have POF. Peter Laidler covers these matters in his book: "The Sten Machine Carbine".

As an aside, many deactivated GI barrels were drilled through the chamber. It's not uncommon to see one that has been reactivated, often by means of a filler weld or drilling and tapping the holes, screwing in a set screw, then welding the remainder of the hole. While not ideal, they can be fired without deleterious effect.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter