Shrike Question

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Picked up an early shrike the other day. Just the upper and SAW box, no manual, parts etc. If memory serves I need to add a stock spacer, correct? Any idea of the length if Im running it on a standard carbine tube or an A5 tube? Looking at running it with a Kynshot 5007 buffer and tubb ar10 spring unless some one suggest differently. Thanks!

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
That is the setup I came up with in my video here:
As I posted on AR15.com, I am also running a Gen1 Shrike. I do NOT stretch or lube links.
This buffer/spring setup won't run on a Shrike that isn't broken in. Note also running LC M855.
Adjust accordingly for weaker ammo. This setup won't run on weak .223. I presume if I lubed/stretched weaker ammo would run.
I think I use one quarter in the back of my A5 tube. ...but YMMV. Just take the Shrike carrier and shove it into your buffer tube with the buffer/spring to see if you need a quarter or two.

Last edited:

Weso

Picked up an early shrike the other day. Just the upper and SAW box, no manual, parts etc. If memory serves I need to add a stock spacer, correct? Any idea of the length if Im running it on a standard carbine tube or an A5 tube? Looking at running it with a Kynshot 5007 buffer and tubb ar10 spring unless some one suggest differently. Thanks!
The reason for the spacer is to prevent the "feed roller assy" from striking the back of the receiver when using the CAR tube. The VLTOR A5 imho increases reliability as designed. Running mine with the A3 and the blue Sprinco spring. The A5 uses proprietary buffer and the Sprinco is a A2 length spring. If you have access to a lathe or a buddy with one, have some different width spacers made. Lots of variation in the tubes. Whatever you choose, make sure the feed roller is not coming back too far. If you want a slower rate of fire, give the A2 stock a try with a Colt hydraulic buffer and either a MG34 spring(cut down) or Knights SR25(cut down). Those springs also work great with the old AAC slow fire buffer and provide substantial rate reduction and still strips from links just fine.

Weso

That is the setup I came up with in my video here:
As I posted on AR15.com, I am also running a Gen1 Shrike. I do NOT stretch or lube links.
This buffer/spring setup won't run on a Shrike that isn't broken in. Note also running LC M855.
Adjust accordingly for weaker ammo. This setup won't run on weak .223. I presume if I lubed/stretched weaker ammo would run.
I think I use one quarter in the back of my A5 tube. ...but YMMV. Just take the Shrike carrier and shove it into your buffer tube with the buffer/spring to see if you need a quarter or two.
Vid wasn't showing up yesterday. Very nice ROF/buffer and spring combo!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter