Reising M65 C&R?

smithwr3

I can't find the model 65 .22 rifle listed in the C&R listings on the ATF website. I am guessing that those rifles are more than 50 years old. Does anyone have a reference stating that? I won an auction and would rather ship it free to my residence vice to a dealer and incur a $40 transfer fee.

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
Have you checked all the C&R supplements on the ATF web site? If so, you can petition to have it placed on the list. If it's over 50 years old, they don't have a choice.

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
Petition Sent

I sent a petition to BATFE on 3/31 asking for the H&R Reising Model 65, Leatherneck, and MC-58 .22 rifles to be added to the C&R List. I have not received a reply back yet.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
Reply Received from ATF dated 6/2/08

I received a reply from ATF on Wednesday to my request to have the Harrington and Richardson "Reising" Model 65, Leatherneck, and MC-58 .22LR rifles added to the C&R List.

In their reply, ATF stated that they consider any firearm manufactured more than 50 years ago to be C&R. I like having that opinion in writing, although it is pretty commonly known. They provided very detailed legal references to what a "firearm" is, according to 27 CFR 478.11, the NFA of 1934, and the GCA of 1968.

They stated that if I wanted the firearms specifically added to the C&R List, I "will need to provide FTB (Firearms Technology Branch) with detailed information regarding their years of manufacture, model numbers, serial number ranges, etc."

So, although I did not get specifically what I wanted, I did get an answer. I intend to pursue the request further in regards to other firearms which were the main focus of the letter, for which I have very specific information. Hopefully I will persuade ATF to update the C&R List. If anyone has specific data regarding production of the Reising .22's, I would be willing to include it in my follow-up.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

aaa45acp

why

its just a semiauto rifle you can buy it without all the paper work
just like any other rifle

dalbert

Administrator
Staff member
LAFAYETTE GREGORY said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=102972055
The reising is over 50 years old. It does not have to be listed to be a C&R.

Ambiguity exists with certain .22 Reisings, as some were manufactured in the late 1950's, and potentially early 1960's. I would like to see them specifically listed as C&R. If some firearms are specifically listed that are over 50 years old, and some aren't, then why not just list the firearms on the list that are under 50 years old, and remove them as they reach C&R age? If there's going to be a list, then I think it should be as complete as possible.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
aaa45acp said:
its just a semiauto rifle you can buy it without all the paper work
just like any other rifle
Collectors can bypass a dealer and obtain them in interstate transfers. In some states, the laws are less Nazi for listed C&R guns.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter