Registered sear breakage?

Chef

I have seen an increase in the amount of people claiming requests by the ATF for pictures of the item being transferred.
So if I had such a sear, and the ATF had pictures of it, it would be impossible to replicate the markings inscribed on it if you were to replace it and try to replicate the markings.
I would sell the sear and put that money toward the purchase of a registered receiver. An UZI receiver can't be worn out beyond repair, unlike a sear.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I would sell the sear and put that money toward the purchase of a registered receiver. An UZI receiver can't be worn out beyond repair, unlike a sear.
I would agree for a full size but not a Mini.

litfire145

I have seen an increase in the amount of people claiming requests by the ATF for pictures of the item being transferred.
So if I had such a sear, and the ATF had pictures of it, it would be impossible to replicate the markings inscribed on it if you were to replace it and try to replicate the markings.

They do request and when I did a Form 1 about a year ago it was optional for me. The request is so if the info you give them on the form doesn’t seem right they can refer to the markings, at least what I heard. They of course will still send it back but they at least can point out via your picture what info needs to go where.

I had heard the amnesty SBR thing required photos, likely to make it easier to prove you weren’t getting a free stamp out of them.

sonvolt

So, for academic purposes, I reached out to Cash for Arms, an online gun seller who buys Class III items directly for resale. I sent pics of my gun and they made an offer of $13,710, with them covering all fees, shipping, etc.

How does this sound? Still on the fence as to whether I should sell or not, but their business model seems like a fast, painless way to deal with the transfer.

deadduck

So, for academic purposes, I reached out to Cash for Arms, an online gun seller who buys Class III items directly for resale. I sent pics of my gun and they made an offer of $13,710, with them covering all fees, shipping, etc.

How does this sound? Still on the fence as to whether I should sell or not, but their business model seems like a fast, painless way to deal with the transfer.
DON’T DO IT MAN!
You will hate yourself the next day. Even worse than after doing that ugly chick in high school.

Chef

Depends.

Full sized registered receiver UZIs are selling for around (plus or minus) $16k at the moment, so you'd have to add around $3k + tax and fees, but then you'd have a bulletproof gun and if you're choosy, you can get one that's full SMG spec so you can use all the parts from a kit and never have to worry about breakages, wearing out or possibly destroying a very valuable firearm.

If It were me, I'd take the offer and upgrade. But I'm generally against registered sears or bolts for the reason that you posted. If I had a registered sear, I would always have in the back of my mind, what's the life expectancy of this part? How many rounds will it last and how many has previous owners put through it already? I would always be wondering if this magazine is the one that finally does it in.

That kind of thinking wouldn't let me enjoy the gun to it's fullest potential.

I buy my guns to enjoy, so worrying that every range trip might be it's last would take all the fun out of it.

You might want to get ahold of Ruben Mendiola. He buys guns for resale and from what I hear, handles all the paperwork as well. Just to get a second offer.

litfire145

Alternatively, you said you’ve left it in a safe deposit box for 7 years and view it solely as an investment. Why not just keep it?

Not trying to sound rude, but it doesn’t sound like you’re really going to wear out your registered sear.

sonvolt

Yeah, fair point, holding onto it for a few more years is totally fine by me too. I actually thought of selling it back in 2010 when I was headed to grad school and wound up keeping it. No rush to get rid of it by any means.

sonvolt

Depends.

Full sized registered receiver UZIs are selling for around (plus or minus) $16k at the moment, so you'd have to add around $3k + tax and fees, but then you'd have a bulletproof gun and if you're choosy, you can get one that's full SMG spec so you can use all the parts from a kit and never have to worry about breakages, wearing out or possibly destroying a very valuable firearm.

If It were me, I'd take the offer and upgrade. But I'm generally against registered sears or bolts for the reason that you posted. If I had a registered sear, I would always have in the back of my mind, what's the life expectancy of this part? How many rounds will it last and how many has previous owners put through it already? I would always be wondering if this magazine is the one that finally does it in.

I buy my guns to enjoy, so worrying that every range trip might be it's last would take all the fun out of it.

You might want to get ahold of Ruben Mendiola. He buys guns for resale and from what I hear, handles all the paperwork as well. Just to get a second offer.
TBH, if I sell the UZI, putting the money into another UZI is not what I'd do. I've been there and had my fun with the UZI, but having owned a S&W M76 and then the UZI, I feel like I've had all the fun I care to have with open-bolt SMGs. If I put the money into another NFA gun, it would be a closed-bolt of some sort. Maybe an MP5 or an M16. Or I may say I've had my fun with NFA altogether and just stash the money away. With the price of ammo anymore, blowing through boxes of ammo "just because" no longer has the appeal it once had to me!

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
A registered bolt that’s properly heat treated there’s a very slim chance of anything happening to a bolt. it’s certainly not as at fragile as a sear.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
From my understanding, in the OPs first post, he said it was in a "B" model, which I took to be a full sized UZI.
Yes, I know that. I just wanted to further clarify the case with the Mini as this is the one case why I personally and some others prefer a registered sear in the UZI family over a cut up and re-welded receiver to make a Mini. Since again the semi mini carbine UZI's didn't come into the US till 1987 while the full size and UZI Pistol came in before 86.

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
I probably would, too, provided I could get a registered bolt for not much more (+/- $1.5k).

Slowmo

Yes, I know that. I just wanted to further clarify the case with the Mini as this is the one case why I personally and some others prefer a registered sear in the UZI family over a cut up and re-welded receiver to make a Mini. Since again the semi mini carbine UZI's didn't come into the US till 1987 while the full size and UZI Pistol came in before 86.
Were Vector Mini RRs cut up and rewelded? Would being cut up and rewelded make it less repairable?

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
A registered bolt that’s properly heat treated there’s a very slim chance of anything happening to a bolt. it’s certainly not as at fragile as a sear.
At one time, I had (3) full size FA UZI's. Two RR's and one Fleming Sear Model B. I had one setup for .45, another 9mm and one in 22LR. I sold my Fleming Sear Model B to one of my buddies for like 6500 or something. That gun ran all 3 calibers 100%. I almost bought a Billistics full size UZI and it was a jammomatic. I later learned about how Billistics had some guns seized and were not fully converted and this one of them.
My point to that is sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. My Fleming sear model B ran great and I didn't really want to sell it but it went to a good friend that still has it.

A few years after he had it, one of his friends was running his reloads through it and had a double charge. Bulged and ruined the barrel. It blew the topcover off the gun and bent it all up. He had an IMI bolt in the gun and it blew the feed lip off the bolt and the bolt was basically useless after that.....ZERO damage to the sear.

Last edited:

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Were Vector Mini RRs cut up and rewelded? Would being cut up and rewelded make it less repairable?
Yes all Vector RR Mini UZI's were made from full size UZI's that were cut up and re-welded to make Mini UZI receivers. Again, I remember when I spoke to Fleming on the phone before he died, he also told me that he cut up and re-welded an IMI full to make a Mini as well. I think he said he only did one like that.
Now back 20yrs ago whenever it was Vector was selling the Mini's there was a lot of controversy on subguns.com with some people saying that Vector was basically de-milling a transferrable full size UZI and then making a new MG when welding in back together to make Mini's. I don't recall anyone ever producing a letter from ATF approving them.

I would presume that can't just keep re-welding something too many times but I don't think you would need to either.

On that note, one of my good friends has a Vector Mini and he sent it back to Vector several times to get repaired. Now this was a long time ago. On one of the return trips, UPS messed up and I recall the gun was like run over or something. It was terrible. Ralph (the president of Vector at the time) had kept one Mini for himself that wasn't to be sold and he replaced my buddy's messed up Mini with his own personal Mini. Very nice of him and I always wondered if the original Mini was beyond repair or maybe they didn't want him to wait more while it was being repaired since it was sent back several times.

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
A few years after he had it, one of his friends was running his reloads through it and had a double charge. It blew the topcover off the gun and bent it all up. He had an IMI bolt in the gun and it blew the feed lip off the bolt and the bolt was basically useless after that.....ZERO damage to the sear.
Ouch.

An Uzi bolt bolt is tougher than a woodpecker's lips, too. That must have been one hell of a double charge.

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
I know I posted a picture of the bolt a long time ago but can't find it right now. I'm sure it is out on the Internet somewhere.
I try to keep a pretty close eye on my firing pin and lower feed lip. They appear to be pretty stout, but sometimes bad things happen, I guess.

Your post reaffirms my belief in not shooting reloaded rounds through a transferable machinegun.

Dirk Hawthorne

Depends.

what this guy said

except that I would list it for sale myself on sturmgewehr or gunbroker

why take a 25% hit on something you could easily sell yourself?

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter