Question about .45 extractor

Mike85220

I know of 3 types of these extractors.
-The original P.S. style which requires the barrel to have that relief cut for it to work.
-The second variant is the Cobray slab sided variant, of which is on the inside.
-The third is the F.T.F. Industries style that has the extractor on the outside and require no barrel modifications.

My question is on the second variant, the Cobray style extractor...

I was told that these do not require modification to the barrel.
I think I was given bad intel on that.
The extractor has slowly etched away its own home into the barrel and at a point, caused some ejection problems.
I remove just the "fold" of metal from the extractor hitting the barrel on the inside chamber and polish it up, but it helps only for a short while.

It eventually started to leave empties in the receiver and jam up.
I inspected everything and found the extractor is flattened against the face of the bolt.
It is obvious the extractor needs replaced now.
Replacing it just means it will do all this again down the road.
Does anyone with a Cobray .45 MAC have a pic of their barrel/ chamber so I can see what needs done to the barrel?

The .45 I have is not a Cobray, but the bolt is, and obviously I need to make accommodations as I would if I bought a Powder Springs bolt.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

timkel

You want to relieve the barrel at the position of your extractor. Just remove enough metal so the extractor does not hit the rim of the barrel, even on an empty chamber.
This is a picture of a Powder springs upper. The actual location and size of the relief cut may be different for you bolt. But the idea is the same. Remove enough metal to allow the extractor to operate. It is much easier to mark the location then remove the barrel to do the work.
M10housing007_zpsbbae8e36.jpg
[/URL]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter