Problem with Norinco UZI... please help.

FAL

I bought a NIB 9mm Norinco UZI with the thumbhole stock about 5 years ago for a little over $300...it was a good deal, and I couldn't afford a real UZI so I jumped at it. The problem I'm having with it is that if I load more than 13 or 14 rounds into a magazine (original IMI mags), it won't feed. I pull the bolt back, let it go and it tries to load a round but it jams EVERY time. If I look at the carbine, the bolt is stuck half-way open with a round at about a 45 degree angle wedged between the bolt and partway into the battery. It doesn't matter what kind of ammunition I use with it because it happens with them all, but I shoot mainly FMJ...Winchester, Wolf and reloads.

Has anyone else seen this, and is there a common fix for it? Any help, pointers, or advice is much appreciated. I know this rifle can be much more reliable than it currently is for me. Thanks.

Dan0341

UZI Talk Life Member
Take some steel wool and polish the feed ramp so it's shiny and smooth. Initially, my old Norinco 320's feed ramp was parkerized and felt like sand paper. Once I polished it, it fed great.

I forgot to mention - Welcome to the board!

Dan

Last edited:

KarlPMann

Banned
:welcome FAL. Throating and polishing the feedramp can be a big help. You can also look for any rub spots between the bolt and receiver and top cover. Make sure the bolt returns smoothly. Take off small amounts of metal with real fine sandpaper and smooth with extra fine steel wool. Keep it real clean and use plenty of oil. Karl.

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
Take Karl & Dan's advice. While you're at it... pick up some A-ZOOM snap caps to check feeding (safely) as you remove metal... a little bit at a time.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
When I got my Norinco the lower was a very loose fit to the receiver which I'm sure the previous owner may have had feeding issues. No problem, took out the BFH and had a go at the tang on the front of the trigger pack and problem was solved, you may want to check this also. You will have to remove the stock to determine this however.

FAL

Thanks for the responses guys. I plan on working on my Norinco today, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again. :uzi

FAL

Well, it looks like a little filing and sanding did the trick. I loaded up a mag with 20 rounds, put a snapcap on top and it chambered a round, no problem. I couldn't do that before, so thanks much for the help.

Now, for my next question...on this Norinco, I want to get rid of the thumbhole stock -- for obvious reasons. My question is: how many US parts do I need to replace, and more importantly, where do I get those US parts from? I'm not sure which company sells them. Thanks for any information.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter