PAWS 45

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
i have the potential to get a PAWS 45 "sterling"
but it has issues, LRN will feed fine but factory ball is hit and miss some fire fine others light primer strike and no firing.
barrel was replace at some point and does not have the original return springs.....
to tight of a chamber? not enough feed ramp?
return spring?

where to start?

6gs6bQc.jpg

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
Do FMJ rounds feed okay, but not fire? Check the overall length of the LRN and FMJ rounds to see if there is considerable difference in bullet depth.

Additionally, is this the carbine version, or transferable SMG? I believe the carbine version uses a barrel nut similar to that of UZI. Make sure it is tightened sufficiently or it could move fore and aft.

saxon

UZI Talk Supporter
transferable SMG, LRN is 1.270 and ball is anywhere from 1.250 to 1.270 just to make sure it was not a length problem
they seem to feed fine just light primer strike and no fire, i am thinking when the barrel was replaced they used non SMG chamber
that is to say to tight for FMJ but lead is soft enough to run?

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
The barrel could have an out of spec chamber causing a headspace issues, but I can't help but wonder if the barrel is set too far forward, or there is too much play fore and aft creating excessive headspace. Lead bullets are slightly oversized in order to properly engage the rifling in a barrel; as a result they can chamber with slightly more resistance compared to jacketed projectiles. In your case it could be that the increased resistance of the lead rounds chambering is enough to prevent the projectile from pushing too far into a slightly setback chamber, allowing the firing pin to properly engage the primer.

Check to see if the front Allen bolts are sufficiently tightened and try shooting it again. If that fails I think removing the barrel for further investigation would be prudent.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter