Opinions on Olympic Arms AR-15

treedawg

I just got a lead on a reasonably priced class III Olympic Arms AR-15. What are you thoughts on this gun as I'm not familar with them. How do they compare to a Colt, Bushy, ect....An AR-15 is the last gun on my class III wish list.

Thanks for the help....

TD

Last edited:

UZI SBR AWC

You refering to the one on the wrong board, 11.5" barrel with the M14 mag in the case?
Nothing wrong with the Oly conversion, receivers are fine. In most respects, all the lowers are the same, just the manufacture stamp is different. If you do not like the finish, finish it the way you want.

treedawg

No, this one is local here in GA. Where's the one you are refering to located? How much are they asking for it?

TD

UZI SBR AWC

I think it is AL, for $7500 .

nonnfafirearms.1488.1.jpg

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/...esults_format=long&db_id=1488&query=retrieval

jt325i

Olympics aren't bad. I wouldn't be afraid to own one. I have Colts & Bushmasters myself. I actually like the Bushmasters better though. :D

jt325i

No doubt most of the manufacturers have made huge strides in recent years. I think out of the new ones Bushmaster & Rock River Arms are among the best, especially for the $$$. Among the pre-bans the non-blocked Colts, Bushmasters & the Eagle Arms (division of Armalite, lowers are fine & come off the same line - only difference is the uppers on EA's aren't chrome-lined) If just buying a lower, EA would be my third choice behind Bushmaster & Colt. Olympic would be 4th. You can still do a lot worse. :D

treedawg

I have decided to purchase the class III Oly. Based on feedback and price I could I'll have a hard time finding a better deal....

TD

LRM

FFL/SOT
Good choice

I like the reg M15/16 PAWS & SGW (Oly) my self

The fit is real tight and the finish is Black
back in 86 most guns where Gray

It uses the small hole push pins
Has a mag button fence

I have transfered over 10 reg M16 PAWS(Oly) receivers this last year new in the box I was getting them for $4800 now you can hardly find one
for under $5800 to $6400

rag

Olympic arms lowers are cast, and not forged, which is supposed to be the stronger of the two. I have also heard that the mag well may be a little tight on some which can cause certain mags not to fit properly.
Otherwise it's fine :)

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
rag said:
Olympic arms lowers are cast, and not forged, which is supposed to be the stronger of the two

Uh isn't it the other way around? Forging work hardens the steel which makes it better and stronger.

rag

That's what I said, "They're NOT forged, which is the stronger one of the two!"
I would stick with Bushmaster which is the most "mil-spec" AR variant that you can currently buy.

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
I had an Oly. Good looking gun. It was a Jam-O-Matic.

If it runs for you, then it is a fine gun. If not, you can sell it for more than you paid for it. :)

osprey21

UZI Talk Life Member
rag said:
Olympic arms lowers are cast, and not forged, which is supposed to be the stronger of the two. I have also heard that the mag well may be a little tight on some which can cause certain mags not to fit properly.
Otherwise it's fine :)
It's a mute point when talking about RR M16's. Olympic didn't even make 'cast' lowers until approx 1993-94, well after the 1986 MG ban.

treedawg

My how time flys. I forgot all about this untill Osprey brought it back to the top. I'm happy as one could be with any M-16. I paid $5500.00 for it back in '03 which seemed like alot of money back then for a gun. Times sure have changed. I wish I would got a second mortgage on my house and bought all the Oly's I could have located.

BTW: I still have the gun and all of the bugs have been worked out and it's as close to 100% as any M-16 I've ever fired.

TD

Last edited:

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
treedawg said:
My how time flys. I'm happy as one could be with a M-16. I paid $5500.00 for it back in '03 which seemed like alot of money back then for a gun. Times sure have changed. I wish I would got a second mortgage on my house and bought all the Oly's I could have located.
TD

I read the post further above and didn't see how old it was... I though $7500 doesn't sound like a bad price.... That was quite a while back....

CAR-AR-m16

treedawg said:
My how time flys. I forgot all about this untill Osprey brought it back to the top. I'm happy as one could be with any M-16. I paid $5500.00 for it back in '03 which seemed like alot of money back then for a gun. Times sure have changed. I wish I would got a second mortgage on my house and bought all the Oly's I could have located.

BTW: I still have the gun and all of the bugs have been worked out and it's as close to 100% as any M-16 I've ever fired.

TD

I know what you mean. I bought my Oly RR in 1992 for $950, which I thought was high at the time, but now I wish I had bought 20 of them! Mine needed a little tweaking when I first got it, but it has been running great for years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter