open bolt semi's

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
why do people ask so much for them?
"cuz they're so much easier to convert to full auto" is the answer I've always heard, or "they're banned".
ok, but is it really that easy to convert?
not to mention illegal unless you're building a post sample, which is a waste, since a real/legal one isnt that much more anyways.

what am I missing?

dont get me wrong, I love my lage'd m11, but I sure dont see 4 digit numbers for a semi version of it.

D-boy

I think it's all those things and the larger things they mean.

Back in the mid-80s, I saw a semi for $350 and an open bolt semi for $800. LOL, ridiculous prices, perhaps to be laughed at even today. I asked why the open bolt was so much more, and I was told, "Because you can convert it to FA." Well, I think a real FA would have cost you far less back then.

I don't know. So here is some armchair sociology.

I think, for many, it's a historical item, or perhaps something they remember from their youth. A collectable available only in small quantities, and at a small premium.

I think, the fact that nobody is ever going to get anything like this past the ATF ever again (until we get rid of the ATF) makes it cool. It's one of a kind.

I think a few people think they might actually convert it when the SHTF. And that gives them comfort, somehow.

And, there's probably been a few that actually were purchased for the purpose of conversion and the conversion was actually done.

USMG

The closed bolt Mac-10 guns are junk and there are few parts for them. (Stephensville, TX) Plus, the OB Mac-10 guns use an SMG bolt and about 99% of the fire control parts are the same as well so its easy to find parts and they are as reliable as an SMG Mac-10. They are as you know, easy to convert though its illegal, they are cool because of it. You could spend much less and buy a Master Piece Arms .45 acp version (MPA10, 15) but some people want a Mac and not a new version with the closed bolt parts.

WWW.USMACHINEGUN.COM
FFL/SOT

gocargo

UZI Talk Supporter
20 years ago at local gun shows, RPB open-bolt semi M11-a1's were selling for $350-$600 while sitting on the same table with full auto M11-a1's at $150 each...

...yeah I bought a couple :)

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
thanks for the replies so far.
I just dont get it I guess, other than someone that maybe wants to bend a spring (or whatever it takes) to make their SA into a FA "if they ever need to".

I've only shot mine in SA a few times. I didnt like the experience. if I wanted to shoot 9mm out of a shorter barrel (and with a stock), I'd build a dedicated 9mm SBR'ed ar15. oh well.

Bad Hammer

Just for the record, with a proper disconnector installed, (yes, they DO exist!!), and IF one were so inclined as to destroy
their future both legally and financially to do so, a closed bolt semi M11/9 appears to be easily converted to full auto as well.
But I agree with what D-boy said that the premium for the open bolt semi's is largely due to the collector value, because
they haven't been made for a long time and their numbers are limited.
I'd like to own one for that very reason.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter