OK. Can any one help me out with soaking parts?

John Matrix

Is soaking really the way to go. Now that I fire full auto stuff, everything gets real dirty. Does soaking cut down the cleaning time. Does it get all the crud from the bolt and inside the carrier?
What should I use? Ed's red, Carbon Cutter...
Thanks
Chip

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
Well I am not one to clean my guns all the time...:( But if you want a real cleaning I have used carb cleaner and then blow out with an air hose.... BUT USE CAUTION... Carb cleaner will eat plastics, so will a lot of regular gun cleaner solvents... And oil ASAP when clean. Most strong solvents will take the oil off and leave it unprotected...

I have not used it on all different finishes so experiment in a small place... I have seen gun scrubber take the finish off an M16... I can take a pic!!!!!!

tommygun2000

I use odorless mineral spirits to clean and BreakFree to lube and preserve.
Mineral spirits is safe to use on plastics, it similar to the "SafetyKlean" solvent thats used in parts cleaning tanks for automotive use.

Last edited:

John Matrix

Does the mineral spirits strip the carbon off of the bolt?
I looked at the carbon cutter but it looks a little expensive. Elbow grease is cheaper I guess.
Thanks

shineit

Carbon Cutter does cost more then mineral spirits but it is not a toxic product and it can be reused for a year or more. My health is worth more then saving a few dollars on something that is not good for you to breath in or that gets absorbed into your skin and has some side affects that are just plain ugly and very costly to my health. Remember the old saying? Pay me know or pay me later. Just my Opinion

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
John Matrix said:
Does the mineral spirits strip the carbon off of the bolt?
I looked at the carbon cutter but it looks a little expensive. Elbow grease is cheaper I guess.
Thanks

I have a tank of mineral spirits for cleaning car parts... It will cut carbon but not near as well as carb cleaner... I usually spray the carb cleaner right into my mineral spirits tank....

Like I said watch the finish on plastic but I would try on the bolt... You can pick up carb clean for $.99 at auto zone... I think it is a little weaker than the more expensive stuff.

Like you said elbow grease is cheaper!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter