NFA Items at an estate auction

Eskew5

A local estate auction company has an upcoming sale which includes a handful of NFA items. The company is working with a local dealer to facilitate the sale, and the items are currently at the dealer for in-person inspection. My previous purchases have all been direct from dealer, so I have a few questions about this scenario.

Assuming the items are currently on a F4 for the current owner, will they need to be transferred to the dealer before the dealer can initiate a transfer to me? If so, is there an additional $200 tax to transfer to the dealer and does that happen any quicker than a standard transfer? I vaguely remember being warned of some scenario when buying my first gun years ago that would result in paying the tax twice, but don't fully recall.

One of the items is a IMI / Action arms full auto Uzi. There is no detail listed as to if the gun is registered receiver or bolt. I already own a Group Industries SMG so I don't know if this one interest me much - but I am going to go look at it briefly. The serial number is a SA prefix so I assume it's a conversion and I will be looking to ensure that the blocking bar is removed. What other things should I look at on a converted gun? Is there a surefire way to tell if the gun is registered receiver or bolt ? Assuming its a full conversion, are the IMI/Action Arms considered better /more valuable than the Group Industries (non vector) guns?

There is also an XM-177 in the mix that I posted about in the M16 section.... tempting if the price remains reasonable.

Update
I stopped by to look at the items today. The Uzi still has the blocking bar in place so i think I'll pass. The Frankford Arsenal XM-177 is ridiculously tight, as others have mentioned. I asked to look inside the lower receiver and the dealer could not even break the rifle open because the upper to lower fit was so tight. Gun is in okay shape, current bid is way under value so I'll keep an eye on it and see where we land tonight.

Last edited:

TSPC

UZI Talk Supporter
I’m watching that auction too. Kind of devious of them to only show pictures of the Uzi with the bolt open so you can’t see it’s slotted.

Eskew5

Well guys, been an interesting night of ups and downs and someone got a steal on some great items. I was the winning bidder on the XM-177 up until the last min. It ended up going for $9,375. The item I really wanted, 1928 Thompson Navy sold for a bargain price of $20,250. The slotted bolt Uzi sold for $3,700. The thing that blows mind mind is a few used suppressors sold for close to retail.

I did manage to win a 1864 Springfield, my first Civil War era purchase. For an added bonus, I'll probably get to sleep in the bed instead of on the couch tonight since I did not buy another machine gun. All items can be viewed on www.auctionexpert.com

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
Those prices are deals of a life time! Those are less than pre-sample prices. It sound almost too good to be true. I would like to see the Form 4's.

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
Those prices are deals of a life time! Those are less than pre-sample prices. It sound almost too good to be true. I would like to see the Form 4's.

Yep.... the 21/28 overstamp Thompson, in that condition, sold for about 1/2 the market price. The XM177 sold for 1/3rd, and the Uzi for 1/5th ......unbelievable

I think the Uzi is a Ciener conversion .....note the SN/prefix on the grip frame

The US M12 riot gun for 1200 was the steal of the century.....

Last edited:

pjm204

DAMMIT! I certainly would have been a buyer in that auction. Just goes to show that deals are still out there.

TSPC

UZI Talk Supporter
I unexpectedly won this auction for the XM-177. Still need to get the Form 4 approved but it arrived at my local dealers office.

Both of the other items, Thompson and Uzi, were won by a well known dealer who’s right up the road from me in South Florida (Not Ruben). As Villafuego speculated, the Uzi is a Ciener conversion.

FA XM177 -3.jpg

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter