New Vector AK- Nice!!

verbaltharhino

UZI Talk Supporter
I picked her up yesterday. Hopefully I can shoot it sometime next week (if this snow clears up). Fit and finish is excellent. The stock is a TIGHT lockup. I'm impressed so far and hopefully I'll be even more so once I shoot it!

ak2.jpg

ak1.jpg

Jimmy2Times

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Supporter, , --PBR Mafia--
I saw those at the Creek this past fall. They are beautiful examples of an AK-47. Vector really does make nice stuff. Someday, when I escape Massachusetts, I will buy a few of those.

cdemps

verbaltharhino, that's good to know. I've been wanting an AK underfolder since before the ban, but the Uzi was a little higher on my list. I got my Vector Uzi last Tuesday and was so impressed with the fit and finish that I called my FFL Friday and told him to see what the wait time was on the poly AK underfolder.

How long did you have to wait for yours?

Weather sucks here too, and I'm sick as a dog. Maybe I'll get to the range next weekend.

Charlie

verbaltharhino

UZI Talk Supporter
I didn't wait. I got it on gunbroker.com for $550, which is about $50 more than Vector charges. I heard about the backlog and went ahead and spent the extra $$.

I actually got to shoot it this weekend. NICE!!! I'm VERY impressed and plan to get a fixed stock version eventually from them. This is the fourth AK I've owned (MAK-90, NHM-91, and SAR-1) and I'll say without hesitation that this is the BEST one and will never be sold. Accuracy was pretty close to POA from the box. Reliability was 100% through 320 rounds. We were blasting rocks (6" to 1' slabs of shale) from 50 to 75 yards without any problem. I'll shoot it from a rest on paper next time and adjust the sights if needed. I'm totally happy with this rifle. :banana

buzzer

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought one too - through Gunbroker.com. I got on the Vector waiting list in early November - promised a ship date of mid December. Sent several emails and PMs - no response. So in mid January I broke down and paid $600 for one at auction ($100 more than Vector price). Then, of course, Vector called and said my gun was ready ! I have not called them back to see if they are still holding it for me (its been about 2 weeks). They are so nice, I would consider buying 2 !! They are TIGHT !! The folder is really tight !

I have an FEG Hungarian SA-85M (real deal pre-ban), the Vector, an Arsenal USA (Texas - NOT Nevada) and I just bought an AK pistol built on a Vulcan receiver (not the best I know).

The SA-85M is about like the Vector in terms of trigger pull - typical of AKs. The Arsenal USA blows them both away. That gun is a BEAUTY ! The pistol was just an impulse (and I don't think it will be too long before they ban them again). It was built by Horn (Flagstaff AZ) with an AMD-65 surplus kit on a Vulcan receiver. The kit parts are a little worn but OK. I will probably replace the slant brake and the gas tube and I am trying to figure out a way to get an upper hand guard on it.

The receiver seems to have a finish problem. If you just scratch it with your fingernail, it leaves a track of bare shiny metal !! Whatever they used for the finish is worthless !! Like the paint did not bond to the metal, and is about .000000000000001 inches thick.

Any advice on stripping and re-finishing ? Literally, wiping the receiver with an oily rags takes the finish off ! The seller recommended something called Dura-Coat that you air brush on then bake in the oven - remember to unload first :)

I have not fired the Vector or the AK pistol yet. I am wondering if the pistol will be as LOUD as Amphibian's AK/AR Frankenstein monster........

Anyway, my 2 cents on Vector AKs- - NICE - Get one if and while you can !

;)

verbaltharhino

UZI Talk Supporter
I'd love to get an Arsenal, too. They feel like tanks!

The Vector's trigger is something I forgot to comment on. It's a smooth, crisp pull. It's short, too, and has no signs at all of trigger slap. In the first mag I accidentally let off a second round when I didn't mean to because the pull was so nice. I wasn't used to that on an AK!!

nobody

Restricted User
Vector Underfolder - had to return

Vector Underfolder - had to return due to pitting in the barrel near the muzzle. I ordered two rifles without the muzzle brake spot welded (OK since the ban was due to expire before the rifles shipped). When I got them, one was spot welded. So I cut-off the weld and re-blued the cut area. Good thing I took off the muzzle brake in that allowed me to see the pitting in the barrel, not to mention the Parkerizing on the muzzle (versus chrome). I ordered my Vector 3 days before the ban expired, so I beat the rush and back orders – rifle was at my dealer within 7 days. I returned the rifle to Vector for repair, but Luke (Vector AK guy) decided to replace the entire rifle. Nice, but now I had to pay another $25 to the dealer for paperwork – different rifle so different serial number. And just to complete the story, now I have a rifle with a jiggly, wiggly gas tube and the threads in the muzzle brake were not cut deep enough so it does not screw down all the way, but the trigger is sweet. Guess it’s time to break-out the JB weld – too late for the KY.

nobody

Restricted User
Typical

Like I said, too late for the KY. Guess you got the sloppy seconds.

cdemps

I'm still going with the Vector. I'm on the waiting list which they say is 6 to 8 months. They're out of receivers and something else, maybe cocking levers. I've been waiting 10 years so I guess another six months won't kill me.

Charlie

nobody

Restricted User
More

Forgot to mention, on my replacement Vector AK, I had to file down the rearward portion of the left side bolt carrier rail so my mags would insert. And I haven't even shot these rifles yet. I wonder what other adventures await?

cdemps

We know about the six month wait. And last month my dealer told me that Vector was out of poly furniture. I told him to get wood.

Today he e-mailed to say that Vector had found some poly furniture, and my folding AK will be delivered Monday. Woo hoo!

It was pretty confusing to get e-mails from the forum saying "nobody has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - New Vector AK- Nice!!" If nobody replied how come I'm getting a dang notice!

I'll let youse guys know the score when I get it.

Sheesh,
Charlie

Destiny

Vector's AK's are some of the best out there.

Kinda sad that Nobody doesn't like Vectors weapons..... snicker... There is a list for those AK's and they do have the poly furniture. If your on "THE" list...call them to make sure your spot is secure. They do have receivers... the have three gunsmiths making them and you can only make so many per day.... supply and demand for a good product.

Here's a nickel for Nobody for a tube of KY.... you talk about getting reamed so much in all of your posts I kinda get the impression that your that kinda guy.:cool

Destiny

nobody

Restricted User
Destiny - you don't know the half of it.

Where's my f#cking nickel !!!

cdemps

My Vector AK arrived today. There was some SNAFU about shipping; my dealer specified 2 day UPS (I don't know why) but Vector shipped ground. That bothered me not in the least.

The gun has the new style underfolder stock. It is black and beautiful. I haven't gone over it with the microscope, but fit is tight and finish is up to the same standards I saw on my Vector Uzi, which I rate as excellent.

Once again I'm very pleased with the Vector product. The only thing that bothers me is that the folding Uzi and folding AK have filled my pre-ban wish list. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself.

Waaaaahhhhh!
Charlie

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter