New uzi smg owner. Is it OK to be not impressed?

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
After 30 years living in a “NO M.G. State” we moved to gun heaven #1 AZ
I had planned on getting my BIG 3 M.G.s: M16/UZI/AK47 asap. in ’02 I found and bought a Colt M16A1 then…
my 1st UZI; GI/Vector 2004
04KFMn8.jpg

followed in 2006 its stable mate Mini
w60GhRQ.jpg

FHp9rPc.jpg

The UZIs got all sorts of mods: buffers for the full size to speed it up + .45 & .22 kits, fixed butt stock, bayonet, front grip, top cover with rail for RDS/scope(s), AND a tungsten heavy bolt for the Mini to slow it down + NP3 finish incl. custom Mini bayonet.
9bWqtAp.jpg

Loved both, shot them a lot and they were always the friends & family wanted to shoot the most. PLUS I love the history.

Both gone to good homes for others to enjoy.

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
No, sadly 'lost' in a horrific Sonoran Desert off-road incedent...
LKANX62.jpg

R.I.Pieces

Samuel_Hoggson

Relatively inexpensive mags and parts, still. Conversion kits a nice feature, especially .22rf. Curb appeal. Durable, broke 1) a sear pin on a high-mileage surplus lower, 2) backplate weld at around 30k - easy fix. Reliable with ball.

Not too many negatives, except boring. But things that work tend to be boring.

azgunner

Like others have said the great thing about the full size Uzi is that a piece of rubber will take you from 600 rpm to 900 rpm in a matter of seconds. Mine shoots too fast :goofygrin

colossians323

I have a group industries- vector uzi. It runs well, Jammed a few times, but it isn't really awesome like all the collectors told me. It is the same as an m11/9 just bigger. No real attachments or sweet uppers to use. Am I just a spoiled brat expecting too much or is it really a simplistic gun? I am hoping a cleaning will help but it runs like the spring is too weak. I'm sure they are cheap.

Edit: The FBI barrel was not chamfered like the factory barrel. 10 minutes with a deburring tool and Dremel to polish it and ball ammo is non-stop. Hollow Points, as I was warned are 80% at best. It is very consistent now. The 8 3/8" FBI barrel with an Octane 9 suppressor is insanely controllable.

Bro, it is okay, sell for a profit. Prices have not started dropping yet. Make some money!

colossians323

That’s the way I felt. I wanted a full auto Uzi since I was a kid. After getting my vector although it runs perfect it’s slow speed and 1 trick pony left me unimpressed. Like my macs better.

that's like saying I like muh Glocks bettah than muh 1911.
I have most genres of MG's and love them all. The mini and full size uzi's are always a crowd pleaser.
If your fund are limited buy a Mac, if not, don't worry, it will be okay

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
For reference here’s a friend’s Uzi with my M11 and a tungsten bolt.

Regardless what buffer stack in the Uzi the red dot was not as smooth on target as the M11 running 850rpm.

9ea96f32_6dea_4605_9859_9bc2aededcd3_3eab1920e2a8f605c88365233e5b9c1186cb7571.jpeg

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Dunno, my Uzis get to the range a lot more than my macs.
Def a nice MG to to let others try.

pmf

Yeah, you never get a 'what's that' comment with an uzi. A Mac all the time.

And to the OP, it should not be jamming. Mine never does.

sausagemc

Yeah, you never get a 'what's that' comment with an uzi. A Mac all the time.

And to the OP, it should not be jamming. Mine never does.

The chamber wasn't chamfered, she good now.

pmf

chamfered?

Seriously, try it with a semi auto buffer. You can speed the ROF to 900 or so.

Yeah, there's lots of Lage do-dads for a M11/9, but at the heart of it sits a POS gun that originally sold for $80 and has never been used by any military -- except perhaps The Mall Ninja Corps.

SecondAmend

A limitation to the Ingram M10 and M11 pattern submachine guns is that they were designed for the use of an attached silencer. As a result, with the bare firearm, there is no safe, comfortable way to shoot it (I don't consider holding the strap safe - YMMV), and a muzzle device such as a silencer or barrel extension is generally used. The addition of the muzzle device adds to the size and weight, thus detracting from the utility of the firearm when compared to the Uzi pattern firearm which incorporated a foregrip.

I have a full size Group/Vector Uzi and an M11-380, and enjoy them both as each has a unique "personality". Perhaps it is confirmation bias on my part (the guns each did cost a considerable sum), but I take a positive view and enjoy them for what they are, and not dislike them for what they do not provide.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

dondiego

First post! I have a full sized IMI Uzi Model A. What is the difference between it and the above mentioned Group/Vector model? I have a whole lot to learn.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
It is OK to be unimpressed, but as you said, "The 8 3/8" FBI barrel with an Octane 9 suppressor is insanely controllable." That is what I love about the Uzi, it is controllable and just fun to shoot. I have other SMGs that do some things better, but the Uzi probably gets more range time than the others. It has the history and numerous movie appearances, but I guess it all depends on what you were expecting.

Samuel_Hoggson

My son did his first mag dumps with my FS at age 6. That was 9mm, before I had the Vector .22 kit.

More kid friendly in .22. Introduced kids to full auto on snowmen and pumpkins, season depending of course..... Problem with the .22 kit is I can't load mags fast enough. Mine runs like a train with minimags or blazer.

wanneroo

UZI Talk Supporter
I shot a full auto Uzi again recently and have done so several times over the years. I personally own a semi auto Vector, still in pistol form.

The upside is it's got the historical interest in it, you even say Uzi and people's ears perk up, it's controllable and easy to shoot and load/reload and in general there are parts and magazines available for it.

The downside is it's a bit heavy for what it is and a bit out of date in some areas and the rate of fire is in the middle of the road, as I recall about 750 rpm

Personally I prefer my sub guns either fast or slow, so people have mentioned there are different buffers or springs or something where you can raise the rpm to 900, which I think might be better.

The Mini Uzi is too fast, I shot a closed bolt Vector Mini Uzi that ran at 1300 FPS. You definitely got to hold on to that one. It was an interesting novelty to shoot but I probably would not go out of my way to own one unless I had a bazillion dollars.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter