New member - old machinist

Jones

Greetings.

Just joined the forum to get some questions answered and maybe suggestions on parts sources.
I've got 50+ years as a machinist under my belt.
Currently finishing up on a "Commercial Model of 1885" Gatling gun in 45-70 and enjoying a 5 year project building a1921 Harley racer. Previous projects have included a Draco AK pistol turned Krink look-alike and some personal gunsmithing on my Beretta 92F-SC.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Whoa - that is a serious project!!!
Would love to see pics & details of the build - I’m sure it is amazing!!!

TexTenn59

I now have Gatling gun envy. Pics please, then firing demo video to top it off.

Oh, welcome to the forum. You had us at Gatling gun.

Jones

Here's my Gatling gun on the bench. 45-70 cal. Had to make almost everything including foundry patterns to pour the bronze and cast iron parts. Not like I can run down to the local gun show and pick up a set of bolts or firing pin springs.
Also a shot of my '21 board track racer. Don't want to be thought of as just a one trick pony.

thumbnail-IMG-2729.jpg

After-A.jpg

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
I’m loving the 21 !!!!
That must get some serious attention when you take it for a spin

Jones

You're right mattnh,

I'm about ten minutes away from my local Harley dealer but it's an hour and a half trip. Ten minutes to get there, ten minutes to get home and about an hour to get out of the parking lot. Everybody wants to ask questions, take pictures, ask more questions. The parts manager jokes that, if everybody suddenly empties out of the showroom, the first thing he does is to look and see if my bike is out in the parking lot.
On the road, even hardcore bikers swoop up beside me, give me the fellow-Harley-rider's nod then peel off. I do get pulled over occasionally but it's not for a traffic violation; police or highway patrol motorcycle cops just want a closer look.

I re-powered it with a newer Sportster motor and brakes so I can ride it whenever I want but did it by modifying the motor to fit the frame, not by chopping up the frame to accept the motor. That way I can put it back to an all stock 1921 Harley in about a day. Luckily it was complete when I bought it so everything is there, just preserved and put away.
Everybody is sure it's going to be loud with the short board track racer pipes but I stuffed an 8" baffle up each exhaust and it sounds no louder than a set of stock mufflers. Here it's idling away in my storage container, even quieter outside with no metal walls to bounce the sound back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUNiWwxyiQo

Last edited:

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Lol, my attention comment was half on it being a 21 & half
The straight pipes - Kudos on the baffle mod & engine/brake swap!!!

Jones

Beyond a certain point, loud pipes are downright annoying and I always want to feel like the bike and I are welcome where ever we go.
Ben Franklin said it best; "All guests bring joy with their visitations. Some upon their arrival, and some upon their departure".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter