New Dillon XL750 up and running

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks to input and encouragement here, back in early October I decided to start reloading 9mm, 5.56 / .223, .308 and .38sp / .357. I just finished my test batch of 9mm.

I had an old Lyman single stage turret that I am using for .308 and .30-06. I may actually use this for small batches of .223 (69, 77 gr Sierra's).

So I ordered the Dillon XL750 and it took about 6 weeks to arrive. Not bad. It's a beautiful machine. Of course if you have a Dillon you know the press is but about half or less of the stuff you end up buying. Extra toolheads, caliber change kits, etc. and all are backordered but arrived after about 10 weeks or less. Dies are another matter; they are taking 12-16 weeks, maybe more. My 9mm die set was about 14 weeks.

There are a lot of subtle adjustments to make on this press. Having owned a Square DealB back in the 1990's was helpful. So is following the set-up manual after reading it twice. No skipping of steps. Check everything.

The biggest problem I had was primer feeding. It was not consistent and empty test rounds sometimes got fed, sometimes not, sometimes the primer was barely seated. I think there were two issues: the primer actuating rod was not properly spaced and second, that little case retainer wire in that station was loose and not retaining the empty case properly. Minor tweaks that seemed to solve the problem.

Anyway, my first test batch of 115 gr FMJ with 4.7 gr of Winchester 231 all functioned perfectly and to me were exactly the same felt recoil and accuracy as WWB.

I'll do another run and then try some cheaper 125 gr LRN coated bullets; there' only about 5 cents each vs. the ~10 cents per for the FMJ. Extreme Bullets also has some copper plated 9mm I may try.

Thanks for the help and encouragement, and any tips and suggestions appreciated.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Nice! I'm not familiar with the priming system on the 750 as I have the older 650s. Should be easy to adjust though. Based on primer usage I have easily loaded 250k in the last 10 years on a pair of 650s with a minimum of adjustments or parts breakage. I will say my Dillon tumbler finally took a dump after nearly 30 years this week right in the middle of me trying to process a couple of thousand pieces of 30-06 WW2 brass. Think I got my moneys worth out of it :)

Benaj

Try out Brazos bullets. They ship in 2-3 weeks and their 115g coated seem to work well.

Been loading 4.5g W231 and getting 1150fps.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Try out Brazos bullets. They ship in 2-3 weeks and their 115g coated seem to work well.

Been loading 4.5g W231 and getting 1150fps.

I have some Brazos 125 gr coated...going to load some of those soon. Any experience with the 125 gr and a powder load? The sources I have suggest 3.9 - 4.4 gr W231 for the 125 gr.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Loaded 176 rds today in about 15 minutes. Still getting my 'muscle memory' fixed and being super careful with every stroke. Occasionally a primer doesn't advance and problems result. Pretty sure I could reload 500+ per hour at a leisurely pace with a couple more primer tubes.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
No idea on the 750 either.

Best I can say is keep going over it and adjusting it. my 550 can be very tough to get just right on the priming system but once there it's 100% until I switch from large to small or small to large.

Shouldn't pertain to your machine since it's new but make sure all the priming loading gear is super clean.
Maybe in your case you have a sharp edge or a burr in there somewhere? feel around for edges that sharp or have a lip that might stop moving parts or cause the to catch tossing the primer system out of time.

All I got on that.

My dillion tumbler is coming up on 28 years old this spring and it get used a lot.

I did buy a wet SS pin tumbler to knock the really bad stuff down but I still give everything 15 minutes or more in the dillion with the NU finish car wax.
Seems to help with sizing on the straight walled cases. almost like a dry lube.

arch stanton

Staff member
Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand Live @ The Blue Note
Scott what are the improvements Dillon has made VS the 650? I run two 650s and basically bought every non Dillion upgrade available rollers lights bearings etc..
I can tell you this if your unit is not indexing properly it could be a bit off. Dillon sent me the alignment tool and I have redone both presses and no issues with primers not going in or getting crushed. With the 650 you just need to feel out and get the right touch and leverage when seating primers. Is the primer system the same and the 650?

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Scott what are the improvements Dillon has made VS the 650? I run two 650s and basically bought every non Dillion upgrade available rollers lights bearings etc..
I can tell you this if your unit is not indexing properly it could be a bit off. Dillon sent me the alignment tool and I have redone both presses and no issues with primers not going in or getting crushed. With the 650 you just need to feel out and get the right touch and leverage when seating primers. Is the primer system the same and the 650?

I can't really answer your questions since I don't have a 650 and have only perused the owner's manual via downloaded PDF. But I do think in general it's the same priming system; gravity fed, pushed by the bar into the spring-loaded cup, pressed in with a forward push of the handle.

I can state that they do give you about 1.5-2 pages of troubleshooting and 'aligning' or adjusting the primer feed system. I've learned that if you follow their instructions and don't skip steps you will resolve your problem. And to be honest I can't rule out user error; on the last run of ~175 rounds, one did not get a primer. It's entirely possible that I was distracted by one of the other rounds and just missed the seating stroke.

I've ordered some lights and I think that might help me monitor / quality check. I'll add those, then run 100 or so coated 115 gr LRN when they arrive and I'll know more then.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member

Ditto on the alignment tool. Makes a world of difference.

chili17

Staff member
Looks like the 750s use a primer system similar to the 550s

Ge-mini-gun

For some reason Dillon changed the primer system to that of the 550...why I have no idea. I run (2) 650's and usually load on them over a couple weekends for the entire year...I can knock out 3k of 9mm in just under 3 hrs, about the same for 45. My opinion the primer system was the dumbest thing they could have done.

bimus

With the 650 I pushed the handle up to set a primer it felt like it did not set I let the handle down just a little and pushed back up and had double feed a primer and boom all the primers went off .

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
With the 650 I pushed the handle up to set a primer it felt like it did not set I let the handle down just a little and pushed back up and had double feed a primer and boom all the primers went off .

:eyespop:eyespop:eyespop

Dang. I guess that's why you wear eye protection and keep the powder measure lid on.

I had a .50 BMG primer pop when seating it into a 37mm cannon shell. That was fun.

hfoster223

650 primer mechanism is probably its weakest link, or what i have the most trouble with, but runs great once cleaned and adjusted, I don’t know if the 750 has the plastic indexing ring like the 650, but breaking those are troublesome until properly adjusted

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
650 primer mechanism is probably its weakest link, or what i have the most trouble with, but runs great once cleaned and adjusted, I don’t know if the 750 has the plastic indexing ring like the 650, but breaking those are troublesome until properly adjusted

From what I glean by reading the 650 manual vs. my 750 the priming systems are indeed completely different. Looks like the 650 has a rotating disc with holes on the perimeter to capture and feed the primers while the 750 has a bar that slides under the primer magazine, grabs one then slides forward under the shell plate.

Ge-mini-gun

I find it hard to believe that all the primers went off on a 650...the primers are "separated" better than a 550, but I can only take your word. I've loaded close to if not over a million rounds on the (2) 650's I have and have never set off a primer...probably should not have said that, as the next time I will. I have heard of it happening on the 550, granted this was years ago and maybe they (Dillon) changed something in the primer feed operation. Also I've never had an issue with the primers not feeding correctly on either press since day one,,,even after I've torn them apart replacing broken parts.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Seems like you you have my 550 primer system.

They can be hard to get just right it takes the most time out of any dillion setup/swap.

Only primer I ever set off was with a old kirby that had the cast rotary propellers. was cleaning up arounf the reloading bench when I 1st got it and POP!

was kinda funny

slimshady

Yep, one of the "upgrades" on the 750 was going back to the 550 style primer feed system, although the 750 does seem to have addressed the slow changeover (thumbnuts vs allen bolts) and lack of side to side support to keep the slider straight. The 550 I used to use was well used and the slider for the primer feed had some good scoring to it, was a little jerky in it's travel and tended to knock a primer out occasionally. Also, any powder spills quickly slowed/stopped the sliding action as well. Keeping it clean and coated with graphite lock lube powder was the best solution we found.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I think religious use of my air compressor before and after a session may be the best medicine.

Changing out the primer system for Large vs. Small is pretty quick and easy; it's pretty simple. The only potential adjustments control how far forward and backward the bar slides. That seems like a good design.

Honestly, the folks at Dillon know what they are doing and while every machine can fail, their design and engineering is pretty amazing.

I did install some 'UFO' LED lights on it tonight; most helpful. And when I load 9mm 124 gr bullets I'll swap out the factory powder measure bolt with the aftermarket version on ebay that turns by hand vs. wrench.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter