Mini UZI

MDG

UZI Talk Life Member
I'm looking at a Mini UZI on https://machingunstore.com/. They are called Machine Gun Brothers. Has anyone heard of them? Just trying to do some leg work before I send thousands of dollars to them.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Reg sear is prob one of the least desirable conversions.
Get a RR like you originally planned

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Yeah,dont get a sear gun,get a RR like Matt suggested.I think Fleming made some mini smgs back in the day using reg sears.A sear is a wear part.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I beg to differ for the Mini UZI.
I wrote the original UZI conversion articles for UZItalk here:http://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/FAconversions_mini.htm

As you can see there, the Mini UZI semi carbines didn't come into the US till '87.

So for a fully transferrable RR Mini, we are talking about them all being re-welds.

Me personally, I'd rather have an original IMI uncut Mini UZI receiver than a re-weld.

So that means either a sear gun or a bolt gun. I don't want a bolt gun since I want to be able to use a heavy bolt, 22LR kit or other caliber conversions.

Fleming registered plain SMG sears and put them in UZI Pistol's, full sizes and Mini's. For the full size he removed the blocking bars and on the Mini's he relieved the trunions.

ATF caught up with him in 1988 and made him marry those sears to the receivers and the receivers are engraved with the serial number of the sear as well.

Due to the reasons mentioned above, the Fleming Mini sear gun is the most prized (to me....I know everyone is different). It is the last SMG that I'd ever sell.

I was just looking in the library for the Oct '89 SWAT Fleming article. The picture is there but it links to an article about Group Industries not Fleming:
http://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/magazinearticles.htm

I have that magazine and will try to scan it. My point to that is that it is a known transferrable variant where it's legality shouldn't be questioned either.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
I would agree with Amphibian. I had a Fleming sear in a mini and it was great. Being an uncut IMI is a big deal to me. Wish I still had it.
Vector would be a runner up. They have the advantage of running closed and open bolt.
Even a bolt gun has its own advantage, being able to swap between hosts.
I have a B&G Micro bolt gun right now and have been daydreaming about an additional mini host.
Really depends on what is important to you.

There is what appears to be a nice Ballistics mini on Sturm right now. If I were in the market for one, I would be considering it.

Last edited:

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
If you want a mini to shoot, I'd be looking for a RR mini (& you are most likely to find a factory Vector going down this route).

If you just have to have a factory IMI gun, then sure go for a reg. bolt (or sear) as others have suggested...
If you want an IMI mini host and to run different bolts, a reg sear would be the only option...
A reg sear will lock you into either an open or closed bolt config (I'd want an open bolt sear to run a heavy bolt).

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
If you want a mini to shoot, I'd be looking for a RR mini (& you are most likely to find a factory Vector going down this route).

If you just have to have a factory IMI gun, then sure go for a reg. bolt (or sear) as others have suggested...
If you want an IMI mini host and to run different bolts, a reg sear would be the only option...
A reg sear will lock you into either an open or closed bolt config (I'd want an open bolt sear to run a heavy bolt).

I run my Fleming Mini in both open and closed bolt. I relieved one side of the bolt (so it doesn't impact the open bolt sear) and made the striker arm geometry match an open bolt. Works fine. But I honestly hate UZI's in closed bolt and just use the closed bolts as an occasional novelty as it has the same cyclic rate as the Micro but easier to hold on to. Over 1700 RPM last time I clocked mine.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Link to the Ballistics mini on STURM (bolt gun - sounds like it is married to the host)
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/i...eg-bolt-9mm-form-3-efile-22500/#comment-81397

That Mini on Sturm appears to have Group bolt. I know the full size Group bolts are hit or miss in regards to being warped and have issues. I haven't heard the same issues for the Mini Group bolts though.

Looks like the bolt has relieved feet like the one I have pictured below.
I took that picture at the 2004 Knob Creek shoot.

mini_bolt_trunion.jpg

More info on my site: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=402

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
I had a Group Mini open bolt years ago without the feet. I machined the top for a Micro. Ran good except for the cocking problems associated with no feet. I wouldn't purchase another one without feet unless I could get it cheap and machine it into a closed bolt.
Be interesting to see the F4 on the Ballistics.

Last edited:

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
I was just looking in the library for the Oct '89 SWAT Fleming article. The picture is there but it links to an article about Group Industries not Fleming:
http://www.uzitalk.com/reference/pag...nearticles.htm

I have that magazine and will try to scan it. My point to that is that it is a known transferrable variant where it's legality shouldn't be questioned either.

I have the article as well. I emailed Dave about scanning it and submitting it and he told me it would be most appreciated. Then Covid hit and everything went crazy. Not sure who is in charge of such things now that we have new owners? But I'd love to see the article in the library. Let us know if you proceed?

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
Separate post here... Yeah, my BP went up when I started reading the posts on why the registered sear guns are the least desirable. But, my experience has been that most, if not all who hold that opinion have never even seen a sear gun. As far as the sear being a "wear" part... Really? I've put THOUSANDS of rounds through Uzis and never had to replace a sear. And if the sear did wear, 15 minutes with a TIG welder and you're back in business.
To each their own, but after a Powder Springs M10, a Mini Uzi was my bucket list gun years before I owned a single MG. I didn't want a Vector or some other variant. I wanted an IMI. Besides relieving the trunnion, Fleming also remarked the gun "SMG" removing the "Carbine" name, so it's as close to the real deal as you're gonna get.
I love all my MGs but like Amphibian, my Mini Uzi sear gun is the LAST one I'd ever sell.
If you have an opportunity to buy a sear gun at a decent price, you won't regret it.
NOTE: I'm not knocking the Vector, Bolt guns etc....I had a Mini bolt gun and loved it. I know that some Vector guns can be made to run fine. I tend to be a bit of a purist, this the IMI was just a matter of personal taste.

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
Be interesting to see the F4 on the Ballistics.

Yes. And for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I was always under the impression that the Mini Uzi Carbine didn't hit the American market until late 1987. So why would someone register a Mini Uzi bolt pre '86? That's some great foresight there. Also, the receiver markings have been modded as well. Most bolt guns I've seen don't have that as the receiver is still basically Title 1 sans the bolt. Not passing judgement... Just making an observation.
My guess is that this gun may have slipped through the cracks. I'd definitely do a lot of due diligence before forking over $22K. But that's just me. YMMV
I welcome input from the many experts here. This kind of historical NFA conversion stuff in interesting to me.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
Jack007,
My reason for seeing the F4 was mainly to see if the bolt is married. I Purchased a new transferable Group mini open bolt with feet in 1989. They were definitely around.
Installed it in a Micro. Traded it later for my 1st Qualified MP5. Just took a trip down memory lane going thru my "sold" book. At one point I had the Trilogy, Full size IMI RR, Fleming Mini sear gun and a Hard Times RR Micro. Those were the days.

Last edited:

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter