M11-9 Sten mag conversion

Gaffshot

What is the general consensus on the sten mag conversion for the Mac 11-9? Do they work well? Worth the money to switch it back to original configuration for use with Zmags or just stay with Sten setup. How does having a Sten mag conversion affect the value of the gun these days?

Gaffshot

I'm talking about for a gun that has already been converted to Sten mags. Is it worth the $500 to have it switched back? That's really the question I"m trying to put out there.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
I think the only advantage you would get by converting back would be the use of the 50 rnd zmags or possibly a drum mag that someone had already built.
Don’t know if that is worth $500 to you.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
One of ours is a STEn converted that Wheatley did during the ban. It runs well. Bought a pile of STEn mags when they were $1. 50rd Lanchester mags work great too. Only down side is the grip is blocky which the Lage grip sleeve helps alot with and STEn mags suck to load but is no biggie when you can watch TV and load 30 or 40 of them.
Not interested in converting back to take factory mags

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
If your man enough to load sten mags you're good to go. It seems to reduce the value by about $500

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
What is the general consensus on the sten mag conversion for the Mac 11-9? Do they work well? Worth the money to switch it back to original configuration for use with Zmags or just stay with Sten setup. How does having a Sten mag conversion affect the value of the gun these days?

Two of my M11/9s have a Wheatley STEN grip-well. My personal opinion is the STEN mag is a better mag than the Zmag. A lot of folks don't like STEN mags because they're impossible to load to capacity without a loader...but then so are a lot of other dual-column / single-feed high-cap magazines. The other "knock" is that STEN mags are notoriously unreliable and some high percentage will always by "bad"...something I believe that gets repeated all too often by folks who don't even own any STEN magazines. The only STEN mags I've ever culled were the ones that had obvious damage (feed-lip and body dents) from mis-handling or bad storage...I use the STEN mags I have in 2x M11/9s and 2x STEN Mk5s without issue.

When I did the 1st STEN mag conversion on one of my M11/9s, I ran 5 full magazines in succession with each mag filled with a variety of bullet types...from FMJ, to Truncated Cone to Hollow point in both lead and jacketed bullets. Not a single malfunction or failure to feed with those 1st 5 magazines. And yes, the 50rd Lanchester mags are just as reliable. I was so impressed, that I went ahead and had a 2nd M11/9 converted for the STEN grip-well. This was back in the 94 AWB days where the only other option at the time was the factory Zytel mags and the price had inflated to over $200 each. Eventually C&S Metall Werkes converted and brought to market a bunch of Madsen 50 smg mags converted to fit the original M11/9 grip-well and the PAM2 mags came sometime after that...both of which slowed STEN mag conversions for the M11/9 way down.

For me, I wouldn't pay to have my 3rd M11/9 converted to a STEN grip-well. At the same time, I would also not pay to have my (2) STEN-M11/9s converted back to an OEM grip-well. With regard to affecting value? I think 50% of the market will view the STEN grip-well as a negative, 25% would see it as a positive and 25% would not care one way or the other as long as the conversion was done properly and the gun runs reliably.

Anyway, my opinion...good luck.

prdubi

My M11 is a Craig Wheatley conversion.

I've changed all of my springs on the Sten mags that I have and also cleaned them well. I have over 200 Sten mags and 4 Lanchester mags and also the Masterpiece Tapco Sten mags and they work fine in my M11.

Sten mags that didn't work well I have found that the springs were severely depressed and comparing them side by side to the RTG mags and Lee springs for the Stens, they were almost 4 inches depressed.

The springs are old, END OF STORY but after changing all of the springs, they all worked fine.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/STEN-MAGAZINE-SPRING-NEW-p6180.htm

CKxx

I feel most current buyers would avoid a converted example unless it was notably less expensive.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
I feel most current buyers would avoid a converted example unless it was notably less expensive.

I agree, if I was buying, I would want to pay a little less for a Sten mag one. Mostly because I have short fingers!
That being said, what’s a $500 investment in a $10,000 to $12,000 gun?

prdubi

Most people it is an investment setup on going to Sten.
I've explored on going back to OG style mag tower but then again for what?

Spend gonzo money again rebuying magazines again?

No, but I'm fine going with the gist of Sten magazines being totally unreliable.
They are cheap magazines for me when I find it.

I bought sten mags at the SAR show for 5 bucks a piece from a guy who did a reconversion back to OG.

RTG was there at the show and he had the springs for 5 bucks a pop.

Cleaned them out, changed the springs and all was well again.

I know someone is gonna chime in on sten feed angles and all that rocket science.
To each his own but I just have a lot of magazines and so far so good. They've been reliable.

pjm204

I think if the seller included 10 or 20 mags, many buyers probably wouldn't care much. I certainly wouldn't. I'd prefer a sten mag converted example since I have a good supply of mags for it already.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter