Looking at an SP1 MG locally.. Any downsides?

taymag

Glad you bought it, (I am a big Colt Fanboy) I have never heard of a SP1 being out of spec and you said it appeared in good shape, so I probably would not spend the extra for him to check it, if it was another brand I could see it, BUT for complete peace of mind 90 bux is not much compared to the price of the gun, the one I bought had been shot probably a moderate amount and as I said it runs fine, no holes out of round or such. It ran fine with the original parts when I got it, but I bought a colt M16 lower parts kit on gunchoker, they are still listed if you are interested. The only thing I found on mine that obviously needed replacing was the gas rings in the bolt. Another reason that I chose to just use the big front hole and other SP1 or A2 uppers is that the colors match, my experience is that newer uppers will be noticeable darker than the sp1 lower....congrats and I hope these damn wait times start down soon. To answer your original question, there is really no down side to owning a converted AR, especially a colt.......except the ammo bill.....

Awesome, I'll probably just pay the 90, whats one more 90 :pound lol

Thanks again, appreciate all the help in this post

Junkcollector

I'm thinking $90 is just to look at the receiver, welding and machining the pin hole is going to be more.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
That sure sounds like short money for the large to small take down pin hole conversion.
AFAIK, there's no welding involved. A hole is drilled into each of the two "ears" and a conversion bushing is pinned into place.

Looks aren't necessarily an indication of a clean bill of health. If the sear pin holes weren't drilled straight or the hammer pin is beginning to egg, they may not be readily apparent. $90 is a small price to pay for a check up to give you peace of mind.

Congrats on your purchase! I know you'll enjoy it.

taymag

Sorry to beat a dead horse here but I'm curious and dont want to think about it for the next year :pound

If I pick up a 10.5 upper and its ejecting at 3:00 without any bolt bounce and is running fine is there anything else I need to look into? To be honest I don't think twice about wear shooting my other Ar's, but I feel like I am going to be overly cautious now. When I add a suppressor to my current setups with a 10.5 the extra weight and a brake keeps it from feeling overgassed and running hard enough though it may be, and I really dont think twice cause I shoot it well, even on the move.

So can I just buy any quality 10.5 and 14.5 upper and as long as I am ejecting around 3:00 and it doesn't feel like its being beat to hell I am good? I feel like I am asking an extremely novice question but I have never had a single worry about "wearing out" my $100 lowers so it never really came up to ask.

I figure maybe a gemtech adjustable suppressor bolt so I can just switch uppers (and take a silencer on/off) without running a block on an a2 and I've seen some reputable people vouch for the bcg toning things down.

Other than some pain in the a$$ 9mm builds (which I dont plan on using) I have never had an issue with things running smooth

100 bullets

I don't have any problems switching uppers but have a model 614 not an SP 1. I switch 5.56 uppers after a few mags so they never get too hot. Also I shoot a 9mm upper and it runs fine for me. If you're worried about egging out fire control pin holes on your lower get KNS pins. The only disadvantage I have that I run into with them is switching to lakeside machine beltfed 22 upper your spring has to be changed out and you need remove pins and reinstall to switch springs. I don't feel like doing that at the range. Personally I like shooting 9mm out of my m 16 than my m 11/9

American180

UZI Talk Supporter
I have a converted 1975 SP1, I love it. You made a good choice. Can you post pictures of the pin hole conversion when you get it done. I curious on how it looks.

Personally I like shooting 9mm out of my m 16 than my m 11/9

I'm looking to shoot 9mm out of mine. What is set up do you use?

taymag

I have a converted 1975 SP1, I love it. You made a good choice. Can you post pictures of the pin hole conversion when you get it done. I curious on how it looks.

Thanks for the answers, ya ill post pictures within the next month

100 bullets

I use VM hy tech mag block with un modified uzi mags. The mag block isn't sold anymore but I like it and suggest you try it out if you can ever find one. Hold the mag very well no play at all but has some draw backs such as mag is so tight that they're not drop free, it weighs more than other mag blocks, and mag release button on wrong side. But if you want reliable it's perfect and had mine for several years.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter