Interesting malfunction with FA Vector UZI.

Jones

Bad ammo would be my guess too since you say the rest of the magazine went fine. Not much can go wrong with a fixed firing pin.
Look over the round, especially around the extractor groove in the case and bullet nose for scrape marks,
indicating it not wanting to come out of the magazine without a fight. Is the bullet seated deeper in the case?
If everything looks OK then you could always pull the bullet and powder, chamber the empty case by hand and see if it'll set off the primer.
I wouldn't try to fire any live damaged ammo for all the obvious safety reasons.
If you're worried about damage to an expensive firearm, think how much a replacement eyeball, including installation, would cost.

Last edited:

Samuel_Hoggson

Couple other possibilities. Weak mag feedlips can result in round stripping/popping out too soon during chambering. Check mag for feed lip cracks and compare how rounds sit at top vs another known good mag. Toss bad mag. Not worth trouble-shooting, IMO.

Second thought, was the live round trapped underneath the ejector? The ejector is aligned so rounds on the right side of a mag come up directly underneath. Sometimes polishing the under-surface of the ejector solves this. Richard Hoffman's video on this is still up. Also, check the ejector for looseness.

Hassayamper

Andrew Kalliopolitis of AK Arms in New Hampshire is becoming an Uzi guru. He got my .22 conversion kit working, which is a real test of an Uzi gunsmith. I also shot a micro Uzi postie he built and it was flawless.

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
Andrew Kalliopolitis of AK Arms in New Hampshire is becoming an Uzi guru. He got my .22 conversion kit working, which is a real test of an Uzi gunsmith. I also shot a micro Uzi postie he built and it was flawless.
Do have any contact information on him?
Thanks

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
Andrew Kalipolitis found on @ak.arms on Instagram. Only contact I can find. I see he is in Belmont NH which is like an hour from me. Real close proximity to Andrewski. Seems like a hobbyist, no shop?

David Hineline

FFL/SOT
Vectors are known for bad welds with front trunion breaking loose and moving forward causing light primer hits. Also for rear plate welds breaking loose where the stock attaches. Most guns unless being new in box by now have had these welds fixed.

That being said a loose front trunion would just be a bolt forward no ignition with light primer hit.

I suspect you had a round pop out of a magazine when it was not supposed to, get behind the ejector and when the bolt closed the round was caught on the ejector and the bolt put a primer hit on it but did not have enough force against a non chambered round to cause an out of battery kaboom.

K2

Hi Alaskauzi,

Your description of the jam leads me to believe the "jammed round with dented primer" was never in the chamber. If it were in the chamber it would have stayed in the chamber since it didn't fire. I'd look carefully at magazine quality/condition.

I may have read your description of the failure incorrectly. I've goofed before.

Enjoy,

K2

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter