Interesting MAC magazine...?

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
Over the last 40 years of collecting MAC stuff I've picked up a few oddities. I've been sorting through tons of boxes and trying to decide what to do with it all and what to keep etc...
One particular mag I ran across I thought I'd share in the event that members might find it interesting and maybe even shed some light on it.
I got it years ago from a an old C3 dealer in Georgia long deceased. He had more than a few cool things I bought, and this mag was one of a BUNCH he bought at auction. He let me dig through a few boxes since I had gone to the trouble to make a special trip and I bought a lot of odds and ends.
It appears to be a typical USGI M3 mag that's been modified to fit the M10. But apparently the GI part numbers were polished off and then the entire mag including the follower reblued. The MAC markings appear to have been applied as always and are sharp so either they purposely missed them or they were applied before rebluing. All the mags I've seen stamped by MAC were done without bluing damage like scuffs, scratches etc. Not sure how they did it but must have used some very sharp stamps I suppose?
I do remember Wayne Daniels in one of his typical smart hustler moves, advertising some "original Powder Springs mags" with all the usual fanfare he was famous for. I ordered one and later was told by J. D. Farmer that Wayne had just got a deal on some surplus GI mags and stamped them Powder Springs 1973. Typical Wayne Daniels. I still have that mag. I only relate the story in case this might be similar? What doesn't make sense is that why go to all the trouble of refinishing the mag? Plus, the original MAC logo is authentic per the Marietta production. I would think a smart businessman like him wouldn't go to that expense on mags he could already sell for a premium.
As far as I can tell this mag has never been used since refinishing. It doesn't have a scratch on it. Also, of interest, is the end mill gouge on the stop. Normally you see grind marks where the cutter overshoots, but I've never seen a gouge before.
Just seeing what the experts here think? I enjoy the MAC trivia discussions.

Attachments

• MACmag1.jpg
    MACmag1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 49
  • MACmag2.jpg
    MACmag2.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 49
  • MACmag3.jpg
    MACmag3.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 49

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks so much for sharing the story on the “PS 1973” mags! I always had a feeling someone made them up later on and that they did not truly come out of the farm. As for this one, that logo is the same stamp that has always appeared on the “logo stamped” 45 mags even those that were distributed by SWD. The only other stamp I’m aware of on the 45 magazines was CMPs standard Cobray snake in a circle that appeared on the RPB era 380 and 9mm magazines, but I have only seen that stamp on their 10rd and 40rd 45 magazines, all of the production 30rd I have personally come across have the “MAC 4” stamp and were built from surplus. My guess on this one goes with SWD production. All of the original MAC magazines I’ve seen still have the USGI markings in addition to the MAC 4 Cobray stamp. Just my thoughts. it’s a nice magazine!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter