Info on SWD Mac10

blumpsicle

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first FA MAC-10 and am reaching out for some information as I'm new to these firearms. I have a few questions (pictures are attached).

1. I'm told its 9mm but why were these guns labeled as 9mm and .45? Can you swap the upper to shoot .45? I guess the mag well would have to be changed.
2. The seller told me this gun uses plastic magazines. Does this mean this is a single feed bolt? Are there any single feed metal mags available?
3. I see a cobray logo on the magazine. I thought these used the zytel plastic magazines I mentioned above?
4. DO you agree this is indeed a SWD worked MAC?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 3.56.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 3.56.37 PM.png
    727.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 3.57.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 3.57.20 PM.png
    760.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 3.57.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 3.57.52 PM.png
    688.9 KB · Views: 25

Landric

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first FA MAC-10 and am reaching out for some information as I'm new to these firearms. I have a few questions (pictures are attached).

1. I'm told its 9mm but why were these guns labeled as 9mm and .45? Can you swap the upper to shoot .45? I guess the mag well would have to be changed.
2. The seller told me this gun uses plastic magazines. Does this mean this is a single feed bolt? Are there any single feed metal mags available?
3. I see a cobray logo on the magazine. I thought these used the zytel plastic magazines I mentioned above?
4. DO you agree this is indeed a SWD worked MAC?

Thank you.

1- All the Texas MAC receivers were marked 9mm/.45. In order to shoot .45 you need a different magwell. Some of the guns were made with grease gun mag wells and you could use a mag conversion and different upper to shoot 9mm.

2- Yes, it is a single feed bolt. It uses the Zytel mags for the M11/9. The Shockwave Z mags will probably fit in the magwell but as I understand it the catch is in a different place and therefore they won't work in a M10 without modification.

3- Correct, Cobray made (makes?) the Zytel mags.

4-Yes, it has some features that the actual Texas MACs didn't have (standard instead of Garand like safety), Cobray logo, etc.

SWD bought some receivers when the Texas MAC went out of business. I don't know if they were complete or just receiver flats, but they were already marked. SWD completed them, added the Cobray logo back on, and sold them. I can't see your serial number in the picture but if you look closely you will probably notice the last digit is in a different font. Serial numbers for the SWD built Texas MAC receiver guns have one extra digit on the serial number that was added later. Hence the different font.

I have two Texas MAC marked M10s. One is actually a Texas built gun (since completely reworked by Practical Solutions). Its serial number is A50XXXX. It has all the traditional Texas MAC features, including the poor weld quality, before PS reworked it. My other one is a SWD completed gun. Its serial number is A60XXXXX.

My SWD completed gun looks exactly like yours except that mine had a Grease Gun magwell (now it has an Uzi mag well). My Texas built gun had a completely different finish in addition to all the standard Texas gun features. I would say your gun is definitely a SWD built gun on a Texas MAC receiver just as the seller told you.

As for magazine options, if you don't like the Zytels and you don't want to try and modify Shockwave Mags to work I suggest either the Lage uppers that don't feed through the magwell (MAX-10/31k for 9mm and MAX-10/15 for 5.56) or a Practical Solutions Uzi mag conversion.

blumpsicle

1- All the Texas MAC receivers were marked 9mm/.45. In order to shoot .45 you need a different magwell. Some of the guns were made with grease gun mag wells and you could use a mag conversion and different upper to shoot 9mm.

2- Yes, it is a single feed bolt. It uses the Zytel mags for the M11/9. The Shockwave Z mags will probably fit in the magwell but as I understand it the catch is in a different place and therefore they won't work in a M10 without modification.

3- Correct, Cobray made (makes?) the Zytel mags.

4-Yes, it has some features that the actual Texas MACs didn't have (standard instead of Garand like safety), Cobray logo, etc.

SWD bought some receivers when the Texas MAC went out of business. I don't know if they were complete or just receiver flats, but they were already marked. SWD completed them, added the Cobray logo back on, and sold them. I can't see your serial number in the picture but if you look closely you will probably notice the last digit is in a different font. Serial numbers for the SWD built Texas MAC receiver guns have one extra digit on the serial number that was added later. Hence the different font.

I have two Texas MAC marked M10s. One is actually a Texas built gun (since completely reworked by Practical Solutions). Its serial number is A50XXXX. It has all the traditional Texas MAC features, including the poor weld quality, before PS reworked it. My other one is a SWD completed gun. Its serial number is A60XXXXX.

My SWD completed gun looks exactly like yours except that mine had a Grease Gun magwell (now it has an Uzi mag well). My Texas built gun had a completely different finish in addition to all the standard Texas gun features. I would say your gun is definitely a SWD built gun on a Texas MAC receiver just as the seller told you.

As for magazine options, if you don't like the Zytels and you don't want to try and modify Shockwave Mags to work I suggest either the Lage uppers that don't feed through the magwell (MAX-10/31k for 9mm and MAX-10/15 for 5.56) or a Practical Solutions Uzi mag conversion.
Extremely helpful, thank you.

Are you familiar with the metal single feed mags that US machine-gun sells?

boomer535

When the Texas MAC company started making guns they stamped them with the Cobray logo. SWD owned the Cobray trademark and made them grind off the Cobray logo on their guns. This left a ground off circle on the guns where the logo was ground off. After the Texas MAC company went bankrupt SWD bought a bunch of guns, receivers and receiver flats from them. They refinished the guns including rewelding the poor welds and restamping the Cobray logos where the old logos had been ground off. SWD also reworked MAC type Guns from Jersey Arms Works and the original Georgia made MAC Companies.

LawBob

You’re options are

Zytel 9mm mags
Modify zmags not sure you can (or use a diff mag catch) 9mm

Send to Sam and either:

1/
a) put a 45 magwell on and use GG or modified GG MAGS in a 45 magwell w 45 upper

b) then use a magwell adapter for 9mm and Walther or Walther like 9mm mags for a 9mm upper

2/ Uzi mag conversion and use Uzi 9/45 mags with the appropriate upper.

3/ be fine w 9mm and get a Lage 10/15 upper

I chose 1/

I have:

Lage 45 upper mk1/2
Lage 9mm upper mk2 (lots of walther / Suomi converted mags)
Lage 10/15 upper

If you go Uzi it’s great for 9mm, harder to get and only 25 rd 45

Landric

I am not familiar with those, but they would certainly be worth a try. The description says they should work in your gun.

As for your other options, the .45 Grease Gun magwell offers the most options but it requires a conversion. It leaves you using more expensive and perhaps less available Walther pattern mags for 9mm, but it also allows for shooting .45 ACP. I use a .45 Lage upper and a 9mm MAX-31k Suomi drum upper for my M10 with the .45 magwell. I don't even try to shoot 9mm though the magwell in that gun. The MAX-31k really is the most fun you can have with a MAC IMO. Yes, the 5.56 uppers are great too, but they are heavier, louder, and more expensive to shoot. I have one and I enjoy it, but the 31 uppers get the most use.

The Uzi magwell conversion is great for 9mm because the mags are plentiful, inexpensive, robust, and very reliable. That conversion requires both a magwell change and a bolt modification to double feed. If you just want to shoot 9mm through the magwell I think the Uzi conversion is the way to go. However, while you can shoot .45 with Uzi .45 mags they are very expensive and have limited capacity.

There are a lot of choices and not really any wrong answers. You got a well built gun, the SWD M10s are robust. Enjoy it!

DistalRadius

Those are PAM-II magazines converted to fit an M11/9 magwell. They were once a popular option before the advent of Shockwave mags, and are generally considered superior to Zytels. They always worked well for me but are kind of a pain to load.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter