Hk SMG & SMG 2

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Great video from FW. Really nice looking prototypes.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/hks-experimental-smg-and-smg-ii-for-the-us-navy/

C6-D3-CA1-D-6-D59-4-D93-9-A51-8506-CDB1-CEAA.png

bigj480

UZI Talk Life Member
I would never have thought such a small expansion chamber would be able to drop bullet velocity to that degree. That's a very cool idea, I'm surprised it hasn't been done more often or at all.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
I would never have thought such a small expansion chamber would be able to drop bullet velocity to that degree. That's a very cool idea, I'm surprised it hasn't been done more often or at all.

I seen that too.

I'd imagine if it worked good it wouldn't only be on one prototype

bigj480

UZI Talk Life Member

Well, it might just be a feature that doesn't make sense in a military setting. In the civilian setting it might be a mix of people not being familiar with the idea and it's very niche market that prevents anyone from developing it. Also, we've only relatively recently seen an explosion in suppressor ownership.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
Well, it might just be a feature that doesn't make sense in a military setting. In the civilian setting it might be a mix of people not being familiar with the idea and it's very niche market that prevents anyone from developing it. Also, we've only relatively recently seen an explosion in suppressor ownership.

Very very true.

I hope that switch thing does work pro. Its very handy looking if it does

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Good video - worth watching if you like HKs

18B30

I've handled both models at Crane and at the 18B stock pile. The non-delayed back blow operation negated all the other cute features. This was the Pre-UMP UMP. Some neat conceptual ideas, but nothing better than what the MP5 Navy models offered. If HK had made these delayed back blow or gas operated, they might have been game changers.

18Z50...

fortyfive1911a1

I seen that too.

I wonder if these had gone to the commercial market if the ATF would have considered the chamber a “suppressor.” They’ve done goofier stuff.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
That's the thing, straight blowback and injection molded with inserts made the UMP so much cheaper to produce. But it is my understanding that HK charged about the same for the UMP as for the MP5. More profits to increase shareholder value instead of making the very best subgun HK could make. Don't build a better mousetrap, build a cheaper mousetrap and make more money.

Scott

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter