Help with m16 purchase

soflasmg

It seems like sendra's are the low price leader.

I want a 16 in decent shape that runs and has no huge derogatory resale issues i.e. bad reputation build etc...

Help!!

Deadline222

Can't say much about M-16s. But, I do own a Sendra "AR-15", It has a dark purple lower receiver, and the day I baught it, it had welded/grinded M-16 fire control parts in it! AKA NO NO! - {which I didn't know the difference until I visited AR15.com} which were immediately taken out, destroyed, and replaced.

My Sendra is one of my Liberal Pisser Offers. After all, I belive Sendra was the company that was selling "machine gun parts" to the Branch Davidians {Waco}, and were shut down by BATFE.........but don't hold me to that. :)

drw

UZI Talk Life Member
M16's seem to come in two price ranges, collectible Colts and shooter. Most have aluminum receivers and as a relatively soft metal have areas of wear to watch for prior to purchase. The holes for the trigger, hammer and sear pins can become oblong. These can be repaired and prevented from recurrance.
Olympic Arms seems to me to be the best value for a shooter. Like Sendra, the Oly's are at the lower end in price but as the mfr is still in operation, the receiver can be returned to them for repair or replacement. Transferable receivers may only be replaced by the manufacturer.
RDIAS and LL's are another option you may want to consider. Using this option, worn or broken receivers are replaced with an inexpensive AR15 rec.

al nukem

FFL
If your looking for a Full Auto, why not buy a Colt AR15 Conversion? I have never owned a Sendra, but I have owned Olympic Arms & Colts. Colt had the blueprints & you can tell!

exilefromhell

Hey Tony :D

----

I was also thinking of recommending a Colt conversion. I have a Colt M16A1 and it's a shooter.

It also appears to me that when M16 prices rise, the conversions don't rise as much and/or stay the same. For instance, when Colt M16A1s were $12,500 , RR's (pick your brand) were $9-10k. Now that M16A1s are $13,750-14,500, RR's are still $9-10k?? Just on average and in my opinion- not worth much BTW.

soflasmg

Thanks a lot for the info guys. As usual uzitalk is da best.

I wasn't aware that ar15.com had an m16 section. I on my way over there now.

osprey21

UZI Talk Life Member
tony k said:
Or you could email the moderator of that forum -- he appears to know something about M16s, and I hear he hangs out here as well.;)

In fact, he even lives in South Florida .....
LOL!!... He does know a thing or two. ;)

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
What configurations do you plan on having for it?
I have a factory Colt 614 and HAD a converted Colt SP1. I traded the SP1 for a steel RDIAS and so glad I did.
The RDIAS opens up more possibilities:
1. my new AR47 lower - see link
2. Whenever the Shrike comes out, I can use the mag less lower that has the interface built in to take the SAW boxes.
3. New Olympic lower that takes unmodified Glock mags
4. The Tommy15
which accepts unmodified CHEAP Suomi drums.
Also, the 9mm setup for the M16 is notorious for being hard on your hammer/trigger pins. Which will sometimes break and then could be egging out your receiver w/o you knowing.
Ask member TFA about this. He knows first hand.
W/ a RDIAS, who cares if you wear out the receiver. It is around $90 vs +$10k
Many also are very careful w/ what kind of ammo they put through their M16's. Now that I have a RDIAS, I really don't worry about the ammo going through the host gun for my RDIAS.

The only drawbacks I can think of are:
1. I've heard they are less reliable w/ 22 Ciener kits but hopefully the Lakeside Machine Belt Fed 22LR upper won't have a problem w/ them
2. Less "collector" value but a LOT of "Shooter" value.
3. Can't use w/ "future" OPEN bolt version of the Shrike. I don't know how the open bolt version of the Shrike works but I would be afraid it may damage the lower anyway.
4. Requires "fitting". I was concerned about it but when I got my sear I timed it and find that I don't have to do any adjustments when moving it around to different uppers/lowers - it IS DROP IN for me.

soflasmg

D'ohhh

I met Tony K at a subgun match.

Didn't realize he was a ar15/m16 guru.

tony k

FFL/C&R
The above is some pretty good info.

RR conversions are the best buy right now -- I have heard of several that sold in the $8-8.5k range in the last month. The market is soft right now, so it's a good time to buy. I expect prices will go back up a bit after the first of the year.

As far as makers, remember that few folks converted RRs to make safe queens: They were always intended to be shooters. And while the initial conversion quality varied, in the 18 years since the manufacturing ban, most of the RRs with "issues" have been fixed.

The lower receiver is a non-stress part of the M16 design, and about all you need to worry about is wear in the hammer and trigger pin holes. Worst-case, they can be bushed, or welded up and redrilled. A coat of moly and you are as good as new. It's almost impossible to spend more than $200-$300 on lower repairs, so condition has only minor impact on market value.

Whether the host receiver is cast or forged used to be an issue, but again, today I look more at condition and any needed repairs. Civilian owners rarely use transferable MGs in ways that will stress a lower to the point that a cast receiver will fail while a forged one won't.

A few other thoughts:
--I agree with amphibian: I only have an RR, and wish I had an RDIAS as well, to use in the applications he lists. But in the current market you are talking $2-3k more for an RDIAS, which buys a lot of accessories, uppers and optics. It is difficult to anticipate how you'll end up configuring an M16 -- I'm still inventing new setups -- but an RDIAS does have more flexibility. I don't feel limited with only an RR, though.

If you have more questions, or just want to talk M16s, shoot me an email and I'll send you my phone number. I'm always up for conversation.

And BTW, my apologies for not just answering you in my earlier post -- I was short on time, and I'm always trying to drum up traffic for my arfcom forum.:D

ratski

UZI Talk Life Member
3. New Olympic lower that takes unmodified Glock mags

Tell me more about this Oly Lower. This is the first I've heard about it.

Great. Just what I need. Of course I do have a small pile of extra G17 and 19 mags sitting in the garage. Now I could have a better use for them.

Got a link?

Thanks

Dave

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I've heard about its development on AR15.com for some time but wasn't too interested as I already have a bunch of Colt mags.
I was able to handle one at the SWAT team round up in Orlando on Nov. 30th.
I heard it was already at the last SHOT show.
I don't know much more than that.
Maybe contact Olympic directly?
http://www.olyarms.com/index2.php?page=home

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter