Have questions about setting up an optic rail

redweirdbeard

So i installed an optic rail and then filmed my gun in slow motion while shooting. I noticed the top cover goes up and down a lot. I got home and found the help section and found the spec for space in between the bolt and cover .005-.015. So here are my questions. At the front of the bolt I can get in the .005 however I can not towards the rear. So I need to adjust the rear tab? I watched BWE's video on this and I believe that's what he is saying. So since it's too close to the bolt i need to bend the tab down, correct? Because that would raise the cover up? Also once the cover is in between the the .005-.015 with the cover not move anymore once I start shooting? Or will it always move a little bit? Thanks

Attachments

• top cover.jpg
    top cover.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Yeah...assuming that your topcover doesn't move up/down by hand, I wouldn't worry about it. It will move during firing but shouldn't affect accuracy.

ETA: no slop left/right and up/down in the back and remember to check the front too.

Last edited:

redweirdbeard

Yeah...assuming that your topcover doesn't move up/down by hand, I wouldn't worry about it. It will move during firing but shouldn't affect accuracy.

ETA: no slop left/right and up/down in the back and remember to check the front too.
ok thank you. I'll going to mess with it over the weekend.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Below is the video that I did that Trilogymac mentioned:
Again, who would have known 20 yrs ago before everyone had access to all these fancy high speed cameras...
I wasn't having any accuracy issues, the video was to troubleshoot some ejection issues but of course it didn't malfunction when doing the video.

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
I should have been more complete in my answer above. I have red dots on my full size and micro. Both are very effective at 15-20 yards. The micro heavy open bolt is awesome.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
how do you make a video like that?
I use a Sony ZV-1 camera which does up to 960FPS in HD. There is a new ZV-1F which is cheaper but I don't think it will do the high frame rate. I use a piece of right angle plexiglass to put in front of the lens so brass doesn't hit the lens. This is all in a tripod and I have the gun in a rest for proper position in relation to the camera but not really fired from.

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
not trying to break your eggs, but move the target to 25 yards and make a man's game out of it
That's the distance I used to zero the Burris FF III on my full-size Uzi. I probably wouldn't win any accuracy awards or badges, but it would suffice for combat/self-defense (provided I lived through it). :D

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter