Has anyone done a reweld before?

romat43

I have a cut galil receiver that was done really well, far below the locking lugs. I don't know if I'm able to do a reweld myself so I'm thinking of selling it if such a thing is even possible. Or if someone does rewelds I would certainly pay to have it done

Deerhurst

Ive got dimensions for a reweld jig I lifted from one a buddy has. I havnt tried a reweld yet but with a jig it looks stupid easy.

Starvingboy

I know a guy who does rewelds all the time… for himself. He does it to keep the original marking intact. I don’t know all the details, but the results look good.

romat43

I know a guy who does rewelds all the time… for himself. He does it to keep the original marking intact. I don’t know all the details, but the results look good.

could you get some details from him? I'd be interested in knowing how he does it

romat43

I don't know, like I said in my original post I don't know how to do a reweld or weld all that much either

Member13

I don't know, like I said in my original post I don't know how to do a reweld or weld all that much either

I haven't welded a gun before but you are going to need to find a someone great at TIG to weld that thin and precise.

boscoman

UZI Talk Life Member

Being that you have little to no welding experience this is not a starting point. This requires a certain level of skill, precision, & knowledge of metallurgy. You have to know just which welding material to use & how to weld.

Find a professional that has experience doing this. Just my 2 cents from someone that has some experience welding & knows when he is over his head on certain jobs.

NorincoKid

If your front stub is nice and long (giggity), it's usually not a bad job.

But I've seen a lot of Galil cuts cut through the threads/lugs up front, and those would be a really sketchy rebuild.

If yours are long, it shouldn't be bad. Finding someone to do it (and then remark it) probably won't be cheap.

Tinman45

Being that you have little to no welding experience this is not a starting point. This requires a certain level of skill, precision, & knowledge of metallurgy. You have to know just which welding material to use & how to weld.

Find a professional that has experience doing this. Just my 2 cents from someone that has some experience welding & knows when he is over his head on certain jobs.

Wouldn’t the professional then need to be a manufacturer? And need to transfer the newly manufactured receiver on a 4473?

Member13

Wouldn’t the professional then need to be a manufacturer? And need to transfer the newly manufactured receiver on a 4473?

My solution is to have the owner present and involved in the process, I am simply there as a technical advisor while they finish the welds.

dubagel

Wouldn’t the receiver require heat treatment after the welding to remove the stress in the metal?

romat43

That's why I asked if people do rewelds or if I could sell it. Do you know of a gunsmith who does rewelds? Someone reputable of course

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
Matt Yeomans (Turbothis) does milled AK rewelds.... but recently lost just about everything to the Oregon wildfires .... He can do it, but it will have to come back to you thru an FFL on a 4473.

You're still going to have to deal with barrel populating/headspacing , and a few rivets....

romat43

Matt Yeomans (Turbothis) does milled AK rewelds.... but recently lost just about everything to the Oregon wildfires .... He can do it, but it will have to come back to you thru an FFL on a 4473.

You're still going to have to deal with barrel populating/headspacing , and a few rivets....

I'll check him out and see. The barrel looks and sounds like it should be the same as installing an FAL barrel which I've done before. From that I don't think headspace will be an issue. Rivets I haven't done but I gotta learn since I'm also doing an AKM build here at some point

prdubi

Matt Yeoman TURBOTHIS did my AK-55 Hungarian Milled AK build and yes, it did come back and required a 4473 but I did it at his shop and drove home being I was only 2 hours away by car.

tomelroy

search "galil art" on youtube. Great video on rewelding with tig....a 12 hour project. Guys are also using MIG. If you have a nicely cut receiver, that the front end is not destroyed and the lugs will not and have not been compromised by the torch or the welding process, I dont see why it could not be done with a little guidance. For one, the use of brass backers to help reduce the time to grind the interior of the receiver...also a jig...you can find the JIG on GB. I think it would be cool to see one that is nicely welded with TIG or MIG and the surface is not ground flush, but the welds are left visible. (save alot of time too!)

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter