got the bug....info please

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
so I've got the ac556 bug a little bit.
I've had minis for years and still have a couple. they're great for what they are and etc. because of the minis, I've got lots of mags and various other bits/pieces, as well as a pretty good working knowledge of the firearm.
my concern is this: I know there used to be full factory support, but that has fallen off in recent years.
so what factory support (if any) remains and/or are there people out there that can fix any screwups that might arise?
I'm a little concerned how much parts kits have increased in price lately, leading me to believe the AC may not be the wisest choice for a FA rifle.
I understand if you blow up your RDIAS or sear you're SOL, but there's a whole rifle around it that can be replaced, whereas that's not really the case with an AC.
TIA

cultist

Banned
I'd say an aluminum M16 RR is at greater risk in a catastrophic failure than a steel AC receiver is. Advantage: AC

In my view, the weak link of the AC now is replacement barrels. Their barrels really aren't designed for sustained FA fire (thin profile) and if you cook one, its not like you can buy a repalcement barrel for $200 like the M16. Advantage M16

Supposedly a company called Accuracy Systems can do replacement AC barrels, but my understanding is they are in the $600 - 800 range. Anyone here is free to correct me.

gocargo

UZI Talk Supporter
That Accuracy Systems pricing is for more than just "changing barrels". I too was curious and here's what they quoted me for $790:

Proprietary Barrel - Button Rifling Air Gauged 416 Stainless or 4140 CM Blued Steel.
Barrel diameters- 1" Bull, .875" Varmint, .750" medium.
Length from 21" to 24"
Twist rate to be determined by us depending on the weight & caliber of bullet. Finish on barrel satin matte or brushed.
3 point steel bedding pillars
11° Target crown
New operating rod where needed or upgrade yours
True bolt & action if needed
3.5# match trigger with take up adjustment screw.
New over sized hand guard to fit thicker barrel
New gas block, sling swivel, gas pipe and operating rod cup bushing
Sub -1.25 MOA accuracy guarantee (1.042" = 1 MOA) 3 shot group @ 100 Yards with factory selected ammo. (Capable of Sub-MOA accuracy)
Sub -1 MOA accuracy guarantee for 1" or .875" Diameter barrels 24" long. (1.042" = 1 MOA) 3 shot group @ 100 Yards with factory selected ammo.
Calibers available @ this price. .223 Rem., 5.56 NATO .222 Rem, .204 Ruger, 6mm X .223, .17 Rem., 300 Whisper.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
Im fairly familiar with them but I was under the impression accuracy systems was more for the mini14 accuracy crowd?

Interesting point about the barrels. The pencil barrels obviously are a different animal than others but kinda forgot about the replacement issues. Isn't there like 5 "different" barrels? In the mounting/thread aspect.

KAC-556F

That pricing and list is intended for a Mini/Ranch rifle, not an AC. Although a barrel change on an AC would be identical to a Mini you would not need, nor want, any of those other mods.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter