Fiocchi ammo

MGMAN45

UZI Talk Life Member
Hello all,can anyone tell me if 130 gr. fiocchi is harmful to a mk4 smg? specifically undue battering of the end cap and or lugs? I recently acquired a quantity of said ammo.Thanks for any input in this matter. James

Whole Bunches

Put masking tape across the last inch or so of the bolt slot. That way you can see how far back it is blowing the bolt. If it is blowing the bolt back far enough to bottom out on the end cap, you will know it is too hot of ammo and could potentually cause trouble.

TAG

UZI Talk Life Member
I've heard that the Sterlings like to run better with ammo that's a little more hot, but mine has always run well with the routine 115 gr ammo.

I have a chance to buy some Fiocci 123 gr at a good price, which the manufacturer says is Mil Spec +P and the box is labled +P+

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've heard it is too hot for H&K MP5's.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
TAG said:
I have a chance to buy some fiocchi 123 gr at a good price, which the manufacturer says is Mil Spec +P and the box is labled +P+

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I purchased 5 cases of Fiocchi 123 grain several years ago. Unfortunately, I'm down to a couple of cases. I had a chance to chrono the stuff several weeks ago and while I don't have the numbers in front of me, it's at least +P hot. I'm thinking it was right around 1370 FPS out of a ten inch subgun barrel. I never had the bolt impact the end cap on my Andrewski Mk4 using this ammo. Weak recoil springs may yield different results. Personally, I think this ammo is best suited for use in open bolt guns.

O

OldFart

Perfectly safe. The ammo originally used with the L2A3 is hot - anything less than hot might well work but might not cycle reliably when there is a bit of crud build up although this isn't a great problem with typical civilian use. The Sterling was built to be "hammered" ... it's virtually impossible to use ammo that will damage it ... even the "infamous" HP L7A1 is fine. Think of the Sterling as you would a Land Rover ... you didn't get one to take mom shopping but to go anywhere anytime under just about any conditions ... they don't need or even like being babied. Agreed on the MP5 though ... roller wear is accelerated with over hot ammo ... but then an MP5 sure isn't a Sterling. Never was, never will be. Pretty though in it's own sweet cobbled together way.

TAG

UZI Talk Life Member
Well, I bought some Fiocci 123 gr. +P and ran through it on the range today. My Sterling Mk4 really ate it up and ran flawlessly. The bolt cycled back a little further than with 115 gr but the cocking handle only got to the front 1/4 of the take-down hole and the bolt didn't hit the endcap, so all went well.

Then I tried some of the Fiocci in my Uzi SMG and that didn't go so well. I could only get one round off and the second one would always double feed and jam. I switched back to 115 grain with the Uzi and it ran perfectly. Any reason why that should happen?

supermario

I used Fiocci 123grn and My MK760 loved it. It did seem to be a hot load but works better in my MK. My MK wont shoot 115grain very well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter