Electronic or Beam Scales ?

suka5168

UZI Talk Life Member
Debating between a balance beam scale and an electronic scale.
All reviews of the electronic ones thus far do have some sort of flaw or another (zeroing, DOA, etc).
However, on the other beams are a tad slower to use, slightly inaccurate (because of the operator) and do not require electricity.

How do you all recon? Any suggestions?
I do need the scale to do 50BMG loads, so at least 500-700 gr. is a must.

LGustin

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Supporter,
I use both. My wife got me a Lyman electronic scale a couple years ago and I really like it. I do not load for the big 50 though so I am not sure it it would work for that.

jarhead jim

Range Brass Whore, UZI Talk Life Member,
All 3 of my beam scales only go to 500 grains......Not sure I've ever seen one that went heavier. The electronic scales with the powder dribbler is neater than hell but a hell of a lot more expensive than what I'd pay. It probably goes over 500 grains. A buddy of mine has one and it's accurate as hell and automatically dispenses the correct amount of powder till the scale says "stop".

Jim

Patriot

GOLDWING

I found a neat little electronic scale at harbor freight for $10, and it does grains. I have compared it against a beam scale and it is dead on.

D

david sarnoff

Careful, very careful

the inexpensive electronic scales can vary based on room temperature. I have an RCBS beam scale that is 30 plus years old, never a problem. The $49 dollar electronic one I own changes with room temperature, glad I found it out before reloading with it.

MunsonMan

UZI Talk Life Member
The Dillon catalog says their D-Terminator electronic scale has a 900 grain capacity. Priced at $140.

MrM4

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
Goldwing,

I am suprised that you would settle for a $10 scale. I personally refuse to use any "cheap" equipment. Taking the chance on a $10 scale when the ammo gets fired therw $1k or $2k rifles, no thanks. It probelly works great, I would scared that one day it would stop working great.

Trident9

I use a cheap balence scale that came with my Lee Classic Turret press kit. Once you get used to it it does fine. Especially if you are just using it to check every tenth round or so. It locks in place and all you do is dump wait, wait, and done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter