Dual Semi-auto mac Gatling gun legal question

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
I’ve seen kits for dual 10/22 rifles mounted on tripod, and a crank that fires them like a Gatling gun (kinda). Question I have is would it be legal to do the same thing with pistols? Or would the tripod thingy be considered “stock”. And therefore create an in registered sbr? Considering doing this project, but wondered if the barrels would need to be 16” to be legal? Figured some of the experienced and knowledgeable on here might know the answer. Thanks in advance!!!

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Tripods are not shoulder fired weapons so its OK to do the Gatling/ crank fired thing. Pistol length barrels are OK, not a SBR. No need to have 16" barrels.

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Be aware crank fires are not legal in all states/localities

slimshady

How big a tripod you considering? An AOW is anything "concealable" that isn't a rifle, shotgun, or handgun. Lack of a shoulder stock means no firing from a shoulder, so not a rifle or shotgun. Not designed or intended to be fired with one hand so not a handgun either. If you are talking like a little tabletop tripod you mount a camera on size, it could be considered an AOW. Larger you should be OK.

Offmarksman

UZI Talk Life Member
Reason I asked was because I was unable to find an example of a crank trigger dual tripod fired weapon on the inter webs without a rifle barrel.

slimshady

Probably not much demand for them, AFAIK the only setups like that were developed for the 10/22 and M1 Carbine by the folks at Calico, makers of the helical drum firearms. With the price of M1s these days they only make the 10/22 version now. I think Crankfire has a way to synchronize twin Browning 1919s but that is a whole other ballgame. American Survival Guide (the original, not the current pale imitation) did a review of them, mounting the 10/22 version to the roll bar of a pickup truck. While fairly reliable with the crappy extended mags of the day, accuracy and ability to actually hit something was sadly lacking.

With the cost of the kit and 2 rifles, even the 10/22 version is about a grand to buy and get setup. Lots of money for essentially a noisemaker.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter