cal. conversion on AK-47???

treedawg

I've located a class III, AK-47 Norinco underfolder, but there's a problem. It's a 223 and I want a 7.62x39 so I can use the cheaper ammo. Has anybody ever done a cal. conversion on a AK and if so how hard is it??

TD

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
I'm a member of WECSOG ...so, I would have to decline! You might give Troy Sellars a call at "In Range"; the guy is a genius & his weapons are works of art!

Here's the link: http://www.inrangec2.com/

Last edited:

Subconscious

That would be a lot of work. Chinese guns use smaller diameter barrels than most European guns, so you'd have to turn down the end of the barrel to get it into the trunion. Also, I believe the magazine well opening is smaller diameter on the 223 guns, so you's have to widen it. Not sure if the fornt mag catch would lock a 7.62 mag, either. Next, the rails are probably too wide, so you'd have to weld them up and re-machine them down to the right size. Then it should just be a matter of sticking in a 7.62 bolt & carrier. That's a lot of work, you're basically rebuilding the whole gun. But I'm guessing that if you can afford a class III AK, you can probably afford to have the gun rebuilt.

Also, check out this sight for AK info

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=77

treedawg

I was afraid that it would probably be more work that it was worth, but it never hurts to ask. I guess I'll just hold out on a purchase until I find the cal. that I want.....

TD

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
attachment.php

:D

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
Fal Files, they have a thread there that's a hoot.
:fn-fal :fn-fal :fn-fal

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
treedawg...
I took the "other" way...
135shorty30.jpg

I started with an M16, added a Colt 7.62x39 flattop upper ($625 w/bolt group), put the 7.62 bolt in my M16 carrier, and TA DAH... I can burn up some of this cheeeeep ammo I've had for a long time! (it just wasn't fun trying to burn it up in my SA Bulgarian AK)
-Z06:m16s

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
I want a Knight's SR-47... lol

KAC%20SR47%20ShotShow02.jpg

Military version pictured above (suppressor sold separately)

Introduced at the 2002 Shot Show in Las Vegas. The SR-47 is based on the SR-16/SR-15 design, but it chambered in 7.62 x 39mm. The SR-47 accepts all double stack AK-47 style magazines, and has a free-floated barrel. This unit also offer drop-free magazine release. This unit will be available in a limited quantity commercial version (possibly less sound suppressor) by the third quarter of this year. Optional front and rear flip-up sights will be available also.

As of March 14th, 2002 - Knight's Armament Co. has cancelled the commercial product/release of this unit.

cookie

Founder
I saw one of these lowers at Knob Creek, but I can't swear that it was a KAC. Does anyone else make them?

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Cookie, I posted about this on AR15.com. What you saw was NOT the Knights lower.
This is what you saw:
http://www.ar47.com/
I took a few pictures of it when I went to the creek. Here are a couple that I took:
762_ar.jpg

and
762_ar2.jpg

If you look at the pic above, you will see you have to make a milling cut to the underside of the bolt carrier.
You also need to mill a little off of the upper receiver to clear where the mag goes in on each side.

The Knights version is going to be mucho bucks and it will NOT be compatible with existing uppers. The upper and lower are longer than regular AR/M16 upper/lowers.
It probably will not take a RDIAS while the one that was at the creek will.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter