Best Charging Handle for Blocking Gas Blowback

yzfchet

UZI Talk Instigator, UZI Talk Life Member,
Figured I'd ask you all instead of spending north of $200 to try different charging handles that advertise excellent gas-in-nose-&-eyes prevention when suppressed.

What IS the best charging handle to reduce gas blowback?

Also, anyone do the silicone sealant fix on their handle to block gas? Got a pic?

Thanks!

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I’m sure this isn’t the best but I have one on my 18” upper and it’s works really well.
It’s fairly cheap.
A6-CC7-E33-ADCD-4-E43-B1-C8-6904116-E7-D68.jpg

https://www.primaryarms.com/strike-industries-arch-ar15-charging-handle-extended-latch

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
I use the RTV silicone on the charging handle. I was shooting a 11.5" upper with a new YHM phantom in a match last weekend, shooting 40-60 rounds a stage in burst and was not bothered by the gas. Not saying it is the best, but it is cheap and easy! Shooting long burst or mag dumps and it does get gassy

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I use my 8" 300 BO SBR suppressed most of the time. I have not tried too many styles but I liked the BCM meduim gas buster so much i bought a second for $35.

BCM-GFH-Mod-4B-556-2__75295.1571675151.jpg

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
I often use extended or ambi charging handles on my ARs -- so for me, yes, the bead of black silicone works great.

yzfchet

UZI Talk Instigator, UZI Talk Life Member,
Thanks for all the input, guys.

Seems like the bead of silicone may be the single most effective gas blocking aid, and that it's a tossup between the Gunfighter, Geissele, and PRI handles. This probably means that all three of them work better than most others, and adding the bead of RTV makes them great.

Being the cheapest cheapskate on the board, I'll try the RTV mod on one of my extended latch handles (can't remember the make) and see how that works. Probably get one of the three recommended handles afterwards.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Thanks for all the input, guys.

Seems like the bead of silicone may be the single most effective gas blocking aid, and that it's a tossup between the Gunfighter, Geissele, and PRI handles. This probably means that all three of them work better than most others, and adding the bead of RTV makes them great.

Being the cheapest cheapskate on the board, I'll try the RTV mod on one of my extended latch handles (can't remember the make) and see how that works. Probably get one of the three recommended handles afterwards.

make sure to grease the upper well where the charging handle contacts it

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter