ar side folder questions

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I'm sending out a bunch of F1's this week thanks to the Jan 2016 thing ( better safe then sorry)

one is a ar lower SBR
I want to put a sidefolder on it for the PDW look.

What is involved ? will the gun shoot folded? and other side folder questions I'm missing.

I want one of these stocks for it. Like this.
http://riflestocks.com/store/product36.html
or a triangle krink stock.

Probably a dumb question but for over 20 years I've either had the fixed A2 or 6 position stocks on my AR's

Looks like the recoil parts and the stock. Is that correct?

Thanks
Rich

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Your going to need a fancy upper of somesort or shoot 22 lr only with a folder.

Several uppers are avl from oly ,rr,and others with the recoil/buffer built in the upper for use as pistol or with a folder.

yzfchet

UZI Talk Instigator, UZI Talk Life Member,
You need a completely different rifle which has the recoil spring and buffer forward of the bolt in order to have a folding buttstock.

Perhaps attherange can answer your question succinctly. I believe he's designed one for that very purpose.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
THanks Frosty didn't really feel the need to shoot folded was just wondering before purchase so there were no suprises.
Won't be shooting 22lr with it.
I have a true 22lr DPMS upper on a dedicated lower.

This will be a 300blk and 223 setup.

Rich

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
You're going to need an upper like the OA93, wherein the recoil system is contained in the upper .

FrostyEOD

Yeah, available online at http://www.f3tac.com/law-tactical-gen-3-m-ar-folding-stock-adapter/

F3 is just down the road from me and I've seen these on many SBRs, they lock up tight and seem to be very sturdy.

You get to use your normal upper, normal buffer, normal stock, normal bolt carrier . . .

11536420_1154908901202310_8668242345708113794_o.jpg

Last edited:

yzfchet

UZI Talk Instigator, UZI Talk Life Member,
How reliable and secure are those folding buffer tube stocks? What locks them in place? Reported failure modes?

I haven't heard any info about these - only seen them displayed. Anyone who's used them please comment.

Root: Your question was how to put a skeleton folding stock on your AR and the answer is to get a special upper with enclosed recoil system. They aren't cheap, so a folding stock had better be really worth the expense.

http://faxonfirearms.com/arak-21-upper-receiver/

Forum member attherange also has info on another model/type.

Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Well after seeing prices and how proprietary these side folders are it looks like I'm leaving the CAR 6 position on it.

Hell once I did the math it didn't even look good on paper.
Never know though till ya ask, and since I have ZERO exp with the AR side folders but 20 + years with the AR platform I was wondering where the buffer tube went once folded.

I was thinking it was kinda like a FAL pararifle. Not the case here all new parts and such to buy. NOT like the paraFAL where you can source parts and convert the gun.

Thanks for the info and leads, cleared it up real nice for me guys.
Rich

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Well after seeing prices and how proprietary these side folders are it looks like I'm leaving the CAR 6 position on it.

Hell once I did the math it didn't even look good on paper.
Never know though till ya ask, and since I have ZERO exp with the AR side folders but 20 + years with the AR platform I was wondering where the buffer tube went once folded.

I was thinking it was kinda like a FAL pararifle. Not the case here all new parts and such to buy. NOT like the paraFAL where you can source parts and convert the gun.

Thanks for the info and leads, cleared it up real nice for me guys.
Rich

Might as well buy a Sig 556.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Thought about it Scott but for the price if the SIG I can buy 2 uppers and two stamps for 2 of my 6 lowers sell the standard rifle uppers recoup some of the money or just keep them as spares. ( knowing me I'll keep them)
And the SIG wouldn't even have the stamp yet.
I've kicked around the SIG 556 pistol and stamp idea about a year ago.

I can buy the upper that CF bought for 300 BLKout and stamp for about 450.00 after shipping and taxes
and a kitty kat .223 or what ever SBR 223 and stamp for 500 after shipping and taxes

That leaves me 150 to 300 bux depending, and just rob BCG and CH out of two rifle length uppers until I get those. Or spend the 150-300 on the BCG/CH and still be under a SIG 556 price wise with all the lego type system of the AR platform.

If I were looking for a new rifle I would consider the SIG but I'm looking to buy more stamps week after next and I want to send them all in at once like I did with my last F1's

Rich

attherange

UZI Talk Supporter
The folding AR stock in a center fire cartridge is a novelty for the traditional platform. The ARAK upper (Faxon) will allow for a folding stock, but as stated, the recoil system is contained in the upper. The first pic of the ACE folder is on an early ZM weapons AR15. My design is strictly for a blow back operation, however it can be modified to a center fire. Bolt length and recoil system dictate the stock.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter