AR-15 Not Ejecting Spent Shell Problem

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
Hello All:
I have a few 9mm AR-15s and I switched Buffers of different weights and also heavier springs in them. Now I have one gun that wont shoot more than 2 or 3 rounds and the bolt jams on the empty case that did not eject out of the gun . Nothing wrong with ejector or extractor. I need to return the gun to stock configuration.
Anyone have a guess on whats wrong?

Thanks

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
How do you know that there's no problem with the ejector or extractor? Have you swapped to a different bolt and the problem still exists?

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
The gun was fine until i used new buffer and bufffer springs
so i am either oversprung or undersprung

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
What brand ammo? Suppressor? What length barrel? I used to shoot Winchester WB out of a 16" barrel with stock buffer and spring for M4 with no issues.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
A firearm is a system. The bolt group needs enough energy to cycle. Too much energy in the bolt group makes for excessive recoil at a minimum. Too little energy in the bolt group and the mechanism short strokes. "Haris1", what I got from your OP is that you increase the mass of the bolt group by using a heavier buffer and you added a stronger recoil spring and now your 9mm AR doesn't want to run. I have found with 9mm blowback that a lighter recoil spring tends to make the mechanism run more smoothly. A heavier spring tends to drive the bolt group back into battery with more force.

One of the best combinations of springs and buffers seems to be the 300 BLK OUT Tubbs flat wire spring and the Kynshot 9mm hydraulic buffer. I have tried so many spring/buffer combinations and never gotten the Colt blowback system as smooth as the MP5. I have a rotary delayed blowback system from CMMG. It is pretty good but ejector springs don't seem to last.

What brand ammo? Suppressor? What length barrel? I used to shoot Winchester WB out of a 16" barrel with stock buffer and spring for M4 with no issues.

Have you checked your brass? The blowback system in an AR is designed with a certain amount of mass to hold the bolt closed during the high pressure phase. I was at a shoot where one of the shooters was using a H buffer with a Colt 9mm subgun upper. There was a loud bang and the gun stopped. In the center of the shell the side had blown out. Luckily for the shooter, the shell ruptured away from the ejection port, or he would have had shrapnel flying at his right arm. We looked at some brass he had shot. All of it was bulged in the center of the shell.

Scott

attherange

UZI Talk Supporter
I would first verify that the bolt is in full battery with a round in the chamber. Heavier buffer with OEM spring is prob going to be your best combo. There is only so much you can do to minimize the recoil pulse from a pistol cal AR platform, nature of the weapon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter