AMD-65 gas tube cover?

507 Brett

i have always wondered why they didn't cover the gas tube on the AMD's (like the one on the banner at the top of the page lol)
i have seen a few that people have put wood furniture on and quad rail handguards, but i was curious as to what people were doing exactly to do this since there are no retainers on the AMD gas tube for a cover. i know that the UTG handguards don't require retainers for the top because it just bolts to the bottom piece but other than that it seems like retainers are needed. could the gas tube just simply be swapped out for one with retainers? pics are worth a thousand words
im asking this because a buddy just bought a AMD 65 and wants to put either a tapco handguard or wood. thanks in advance.

Wahnsinn

Here's a note I saw:
As for the upper hand guard, you have to cut and shorten a standard AK gas tube, then mod it by flaring the end so it fits on the gas block

Surly

UZI Talk Life Member
"Daschle and Herseth Free" South Dakota...Johnson'
Wahnsinn is correct. I have done it a few times and it's pretty simple. You may have to do some fitting on the end that interfaces with the rear sight base. I used a socket to flare the ones I have done...I can't recall the size though.

Wahnsinn

I'm actually contemplating one of the AMD65 guns, just unsure of their quality based on some of the reviews.

507 Brett

Well I have owned a couple wasr 10's and was happy with both of them. This amd seems like its built a lot better than a wasr . I think I may just keep looking for a hand guard that bolts together like the utg. I thought that tapco sold a replacement gas tube for the AK but I think I may have mistaken it for one for an sks

L

lowroad

I'm actually contemplating one of the AMD65 guns, just unsure of their quality based on some of the reviews.
I absolutely love mine. Ignore the haters. The build quality, as Brett said, is far better than the WASR, and there's a ton of those out there hammering away every day. The only quality issue with the recent AMD imports is the finish. If it's not rattle can, it may as well be. It's a friggin CANNON though, and much louder than my draco to be sure. Put some wood or bakelite pistol grips on it and rock away.

507 Brett

i found a quad rail setup that was just for the amd65 but its pretty much the same as the utg just the top rail is a tit bit shorter. i may do that but i would really like to have a wood or polymer fore end so it wont get so hot. plus i think they look better. but he may want to go all tactical and get a picatinny scope mount that hooks behind the dust cap and replaces the rear sight.. anyone used one of those?

Dave Williams

I too have an AMD-65.

It's an excellent gun, built in Hungary by FEG. You can not go wrong.

If you want to do the gastube mod to mount wood handgrips this is easy enough. If you don't want to bother please email me and I can do it for you. I have several gas tubes here ready to go. I will mod them to fit my AMD and you'll be able to simply pop it on yours and put the wood of your choice on.

BTW, I've done this myself on my AMD and it looks really great, see my thread here at the akfiles: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122984

Dave

Dave Williams

For anyone interested, I'm still offering this service. What I do:

Cut a standard length AKM gas tube to the proper length. Flare the end, debur any spots that need cleaning up, touch up the paint so it looks as good as possible, modify the rear that locks into the rear sight block and touch that up with paint as well. These come out very good and I've done several for members of Uzitalk as well as for members on the akfiles forum.

These drop right in to your AMD, just put on whatever upper handguard you like and your gtg.

Currently I have NO regular AK gas tubes. They come up for sale every so often for a good price and I grab them, but you can get one and have it sent directly to me if you want this done.

Please PM me for more details if interested.

PS. Forgot to mention. I have a 100% feedback rating on the akfiles. Same screen name.

AK-Karl

i have always wondered why they didn't cover the gas tube on the AMD's (like the one on the banner at the top of the page lol)

Because the gun was full-auto originally, to hold on to it under full-auto fire you had to hold the front grip. So there wasn't a need for a guard up there since you hand was never up there.

swabjocky

Well now that you've gone to all the trouble of modifiying the hand guard, let me tell you a secret, YOU DID NOT HAVE TO MODIFY ANYTHING!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter