Advice on diagnosing Cobray M12 jamming issue

Gun Shot

UZI Talk Supporter, FFL/C&R
Well, I've had my Cobray M12 semi-auto for some time now, but it has spent most of its time in the safe thanks to a nasty and somewhat dangerous jamming problem. Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've shot it, I'm just going to have to rely on memory to describe the problem that it's had in the past.

I never seem to be able to fire off more than 5 rounds without getting a jam of some sort. IIRC, at some point an unfired round will fail to feed or chamber itself properly, get stuck partially into the mouth of the barrel from the chamber, then a second round will hit the rear of the partially chambered/stuck first round, then that second round will of course stovepipe or get jammed in the ejection port/chamber area in some strange position. I have to remove the magazine, pull back the cocking knob, flip the gun on its side with the ejection port facing down to let that second round drop out of the gun, and then stick my finger in the chamber to get the initial/first round un-stuck so that it will fall out as well. IIRC, most of the time there is a second round involved, but I've had to clear single round jams from it as well, and the rounds aren't always so stuck that I have to "un-stick" them.

Sorry for not being able to provide more detailed information, but like I said, it's been a long time since I've shot it. What I am curious to know is, does that sound like a very common or easily/cheaply solved problem? If so, what do you think needs to happen? Would it be a better idea to take it to a gunsmith to get it looked at? If so, are there any you guys can recommend with good turnaround time?

Any help is appreciated, as this gun is a total blast to shoot when it actually does shoot, and is suprisingly accurate. I'd love to take it to the range a lot more, but I can't see myself doing that until I get this problem resolved.

Gun Shot

UZI Talk Supporter, FFL/C&R
Forgot to mention that at first I figured it was the crappy plastic factory Zytel magazine, so I replaced it with some good quality 30 round metal magazines. The problem was still there, but instead of it happening every round, it happened every few rounds. It didn't really do much to resolve the issue at all.

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
If you are getting 2 live rounds jammed, sounds a little different to me.
If the first is a fired round and the second is jammed I would say a broken or worn extractor or ejector.
If they are both live, kind of strange after the bolt trys to push the first round in it has the inertia to bounce back and try to push a second round in.

I would get some dummy rounds and try to work the action by hand.

cooey82

UZI Talk Supporter
My .22 cal conversion for my uzi does the same thing. Live round in the chamber and another loose floating around in the receiver jamming the bolt. A new extractor solved my problem. Unfortunately, my extractor broke today while shooting. Interesting thing, still functioned 100 in semi mode without the extractor and fairly well in FA mode, with some of the jams.
I don't have a clue how it gets a round in the pipe and another stripped from the mag.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter