ac556 work

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
I havent been paying attention for a while, but with Ruger not working on the ac556 anymore, who is/are the go to people for work? bend/break a small part, replace a barrel, that kind of thing.
I know parts kits are a good source for back up pieces, etc. but who can actually do the work if its beyond my own capabilities (like a barrel swap)?

I've always wanted an ac556 (own several minis presently) but trying to do my homework on a not overly popular rifle that really once leaned on factory support, before I get any more serious about purchasing.

Thanks

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
a gunsmith

i dont know if there is a specific guy who only works on AC556's...they are overly complex with too many small parts

i own one and also a full parts kit....if a part broke id think id have a shot at swapping something out....extractor, etc.....

id think most gun smiths could replace the barrel for you....its pretty much a mini-14, so any dealer who works on them could swap the barrel

im glad i own mine...i never shoot it....i got the SS folder and like its looks and its odd quirky design.....if i had to do it again i might get something else instead....i dont like how over heated it gets and the 30 minutes you need to cool it down...i shoot 100 rounds and let the gun sit...im too worried about wrecking the pencil barrel

MG34_Dan

I havent been paying attention for a while, but with Ruger not working on the ac556 anymore, who is/are the go to people for work? bend/break a small part, replace a barrel, that kind of thing.
I know parts kits are a good source for back up pieces, etc. but who can actually do the work if its beyond my own capabilities (like a barrel swap)?
I've always wanted an ac556 (own several minis presently) but trying to do my homework on a not overly popular rifle that really once leaned on factory support, before I get any more serious about purchasing.
Thanks

Have you actually called Ruger Customer Service and verified they are not working on ACs?

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
Have you actually called Ruger Customer Service and verified they are not working on ACs?

i know they dont do warranty work and i doubt they have the specific FA parts, but maybe if you sent the part to them they could swap it out

i wouldnt let this issue stop me from buying one.....just look for a minty one that doesnt have 10,000 rounds through it...if you shoot 500-1000 rounds a year im sure it will be quite a while before you need a repair...

or spend $5-7k more and get a M16 and have no issues to worry about

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member

I have not. but when I was paying more attention (several years ago), people on this board and others that were looking for work on their guns were saying that the parts bin at ruger was drying up quickly and they had for sure stopped warranty work (and were out of some parts even if they did work on something). so I have a pretty high confidence level that ruger would be hit/miss at best.
maybe not, guess I dont know for a fact. just no confidence.
its also my understanding that they were only working (maybe it was warranty specific) on guns that were in their original state. ie not in a different stock, barrel cut etc.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
i know they dont do warranty work and i doubt they have the specific FA parts, but maybe if you sent the part to them they could swap it out

i wouldnt let this issue stop me from buying one.....just look for a minty one that doesnt have 10,000 rounds through it...if you shoot 500-1000 rounds a year im sure it will be quite a while before you need a repair...

or spend $5-7k more and get a M16 and have no issues to worry about

yeah, I'm a casual shooter at best. so 1000 rounds a year is probably reasonable thru something like this.

problem is, I dont know where a m16 is that is going for $13-$15k. you see ac's for sale for $10-$12k, but not many moving at that price. you can search on gunbroker for completed auctions and the last one on there (that I can find) that actually sold was a little over $8k. m16s in RDIAS or RR form seem to be pressing up on $20k most of the time. LL being just a little bit less. maybe a sendra or something is less, but still almost twice as much as the ac556.
besides, one thing people have always said about the ac is that they run only with factory mags. and I've already got piles of those...

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
yeah, I'm a casual shooter at best. so 1000 rounds a year is probably reasonable thru something like this.

problem is, I dont know where a m16 is that is going for $13-$15k. you see ac's for sale for $10-$12k, but not many moving at that price. you can search on gunbroker for completed auctions and the last one on there (that I can find) that actually sold was a little over $8k. m16s in RDIAS or RR form seem to be pressing up on $20k most of the time. LL being just a little bit less. maybe a sendra or something is less, but still almost twice as much as the ac556.
besides, one thing people have always said about the ac is that they run only with factory mags. and I've already got piles of those...

Folders are $11-14k..........i dont know about full stock ones...

no if your getting a full stock its 1/2 price from a M16.....i have found the muzzle rise so bad on mine anything other than a burst is worthless....my wife's first try with it she almost shot over the berm.....the m16 still has rise, but 1/2 that of the Ruger.....and you can find non-colt versions of he m16 for $17k-18k still........

M16- never have to worry about parts, less complicated, easier to control, more desirable

the full stock AC556's never seen to sell quickly....i own a SS Folder--they seem to sell in a few weeks when listed fairly......but others always sit....and all those little parts....parts kit===$1,000....toss that into the mix

if you love your Ruger then get it.....if you have any doubt- get the M16

if i had to sell one of my FA's the Ruger would be the first---thats all im saying

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
Folders are $11-14k..........i dont know about full stock ones...

no if your getting a full stock its 1/2 price from a M16.....i have found the muzzle rise so bad on mine anything other than a burst is worthless....my wife's first try with it she almost shot over the berm.....the m16 still has rise, but 1/2 that of the Ruger.....and you can find non-colt versions of he m16 for $17k-18k still........

M16- never have to worry about parts, less complicated, easier to control, more desirable

the full stock AC556's never seen to sell quickly....i own a SS Folder--they seem to sell in a few weeks when listed fairly......but others always sit....and all those little parts....parts kit===$1,000....toss that into the mix

if you love your Ruger then get it.....if you have any doubt- get the M16

if i had to sell one of my FA's the Ruger would be the first---thats all im saying

great opinion/info. thank you.
to be fair, if I got a full stock one, I'd probably cut the barrel down and put into my scar stock. which might ultimately be where any ac I got would wind up.
old family photo. I had up to 7 minis at once. the green stock went on the stainless with the scope and was sold. scar is on the gb now and the blue side folder is gone. still have the stainless sbr. kinda wish I hadnt sold that blue side folder. I was in to that gun cheap.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
all look very nice...1 on left is pretending to be a M16 though...ha

seeing the SS shorty reminds me why i bought mine...its just a cool, different looking gun

ive been told the only reason to buy one is you cant afford a M16....and i would have to agree with that statement......if the world were coming to an end and i had to choose 1 of my FA's to take with me the Ruger would be my last choice...sorry......i enjoy it 2-3x a year still.....i think i paid $11,500 a year ago for it....reported to have 60 rounds through it and appeared to be correct....i see some good deals on them again lately....the full stock versions are always a good deal

keep an eye out for a parts kit...i see them come in batches for around $1000...i got mine for $950 i believe...its a full size SS gun that no one wanted, so the guy cut it up for me...he had 5 of them i believe at the time and all got cut up...no gun shop wanted them for shooters

ive seen them come up at least 1 more time since (but not SS ones)

never seen a folder kit come up

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
all look very nice...1 on left is pretending to be a M16 though...ha

seeing the SS shorty reminds me why i bought mine...its just a cool, different looking gun

ive been told the only reason to buy one is you cant afford a M16....and i would have to agree with that statement......if the world were coming to an end and i had to choose 1 of my FA's to take with me the Ruger would be my last choice...sorry......i enjoy it 2-3x a year still.....i think i paid $11,500 a year ago for it....reported to have 60 rounds through it and appeared to be correct....i see some good deals on them again lately....the full stock versions are always a good deal

keep an eye out for a parts kit...i see them come in batches for around $1000...i got mine for $950 i believe...its a full size SS gun that no one wanted, so the guy cut it up for me...he had 5 of them i believe at the time and all got cut up...no gun shop wanted them for shooters

ive seen them come up at least 1 more time since (but not SS ones)

never seen a folder kit come up

you've seen folder kits come up. they just are two lots. one is a kit minus the stock, one is $800 for just a folding stock... lol

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
No. All the kits I've seen have the full size barrel and wood stock

Spiwak has a folder for sale for a very long time $900 I think

Gemlin

Honestly the parts you will most likely need are available from midwayusa.

Ive shot many rounds out of an ac556. The only part I had an issue with was an extractor. It uses the same one as a mini. Bought off midway and fixed it.

The only thingbyou have to be careful of is assembly and reassembly of the gun. Always have the selector in semi or you may break the selector toggle

MG34_Dan

Im not an authority on AC556 but I do know swapping a barrel is a big deal.

Swapping a barrel on an AC is no different than swapping a barrel in a Mini. Plenty of gunsmiths can do it. As for factory service; I hope everyone realizes Colt will not work on their manufacture M16s and does not warranty them.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
Swapping a barrel on an AC is no different than swapping a barrel in a Mini. Plenty of gunsmiths can do it. As for factory service; I hope everyone realizes Colt will not work on their manufacture M16s and does not warranty them.

I get what you're alluding to there. just "factory service" was a damn nice perk on the AC's for a long time. I do feel there's a difference on parts though. small parts for the m16 are super plentiful and available individually. small parts (specific to the AC) arent, necessarily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter