40 rd mags sold by Vector

peabody

Industry Member
I am curious, who out there has Vector 40rd mags for Uzis that aren't working?
I would hate to have lots of customers out there that have possible "junk" from us that is not being addressed.
I know once-in-a-while, a customer will send or bring one back that didn't work and get a refund or exchange but I don't see too much of this. Usually, someone will buy five and one might not work so they exchange it.
Also, if you have the time, tell me how it doesn't work.

As a note, to make these work in Uzis, we have to mill the mag catch slot in the side of them. In our hurry to get them out, our people sometimes grab them without the slot being done. I am aware of this problem.

Also, we have had complaints that because the stop "scoops" on the side of the mag, that are suppose to stop the mag from going too high are not used (too low) , if the bolt is open, the mag goes too high and then when you pull the trigger, the bolt hits the mag. The only solution to this is if you load when the bolt is open, you need to get in the habit of pulling back down on the mag to make sure the catch engages correctly.

Let me know who's aren't working.

ArevaloSOCOM

UZI Talk Supporter
I have not bought any for "internet gossip" about staying away from the 40 rounders.............not your 40 rounders per se, but all 40 rounders. If I heard good things about these mags I'd order.

:D

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
mine work OK

another way to keep the 40rd mags from hitting the bolt is to glue, weld,tape a metal "tab" on one or both sides to stop the mag from being over inserted. I have done this and it works fine. It would be nice if this was done on the factory end though.

Bunker Hill

I've got a half dozen of the 40-rounders and they've given me no trouble. They will stop the bolt when fully inserted, but I've been in the habit of pulling down on my mags from the beginning. It would be great if there was an easy solution to do away with the chance of that happening though.

I think it would be great if someone made a small, tight fitting rubber sleeve-type spacer that slipped over the top of the mag much like Magpuls do. The bottom would rest on the existing mag stops and the top would contact the bottom of the mag well when the mag is inserted. You could sell them in a pack of four for $15 or so. Something thin so as not to get hung up in a mag pouch. That might be easier than milling or welding on the mags themselves. Vector might not be the only dealer for the 40-round mags, but it could monopolize on offering the remedy for them.

Jager

I have two that work 100% with full metal jacket ammunition. I would like them more if I had a suitable mag pouch for 40's.

Oswald2001

Jager,

My experience has been that I find 100% reliable mags first.
The mag pouches just seem to 'show up' eventually. ;)

BTW, regarding the mag 'stops' on the 40 rounders.

Couldn't Vector alter the mag bodies slightly so that they have the same 'stops' as an IMI UZI mag?

Having to pull down on a mag isn't the optimal arrangement to be sure. The problem may be that it is often very difficult (and expensive) to make minor modifications after manufacture whereas during manufacture it would be simple.

The question is "Will the public be willing to pay what it would cost to make it worth Vector's (or anyone else's) time to make such a modification?".

Many times the public would rather complain about a $30 mag that doesn't work perfectly than pay $50 for a modified one that does work perfectly.

Hmmm. The saga continues...

Kudos to Vector for customer service. Attentive to customer concerns and proactive in this regard.

I don't see that every day. :D

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
well

If enough people want them, I will look into making 50-100 "tabs" that could be held in place by some sort of "gun grip" industrial rubber band. That way no one has to weld or prep the surface to epoxy. I am sure cost would be nominal. Just let me know.

Destiny

Mine work great

Rex,

I have a couple of the 40 rounders and they work fine... never a single problem with them... I would however like some 70 or 80 round 45 caliber greasegun mags....

Bustoff is tinkering with a Beta C tower to fit in uzi's that sounds rather interesting...

Destiny

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
If the problem with the 40rd mags...

...is resolved by manually pulling down on the mag prior to shooting because the mag stops are too low...

...why not make a surgical rubber or solvent resistant neoprene sleeve to slip over the feedlips & down to the existing stops?

This would fill the gap between the stops & the bottom of the grip when the mag is fully inserted & the edge of the sleeve would automatically push the mag down.

NO welding
NO gum ups
NO guesswork
Simple & cheap to produce

...just a thought!
;)

Oswald2001

I have a solution.

The Uzi Talk magazine reference page shows 40 round Mec-gar magazines and rates them.

"Reliability: Very good. Probably the best 40 round UZI mag you can find."

Alrighty then. That's it, eh?

Why doesn't the powerful UZI Talk lobby suggest a 40 round Mec-gar mag special buy to a distributor (like Vector)?

These mags are purportedly the best, the manufacturer is still in business, the mag ban is off (for now) and the demand is there.

A distributor (like Vector) would make money on the deal.

I mean, have you heard of anyone, anywhere that has 100% reliable 40 round mags? No.

The 32 round Mec-gar mags that I bought recently for $20 each appear to be recently manufactured. It would be very easy for Mec-gar to run a batch of 40 round mags.

That would eliminate the need for all the 'chewing gum and baling wire' temporary fixes.

HEY VECTOR! HOW'S ABOUT IT? :D

roarincreek

UZI Talk Supporter
I got 1 that was too tight ,looking for it?thanks as always Vector is above the call of duty

H S Arms

I purchased 4 new 40 rnd. mags from Vector last April at Knob Creek, I used 3 of them for the first time last Saturday, All 3 worked right out of the plastic bag, in a full auto with a buffer to jack up the ROF. I am very pleased with the mags. You don't want to hear about my 22 conversion kit from Vector.:(

peabody

Industry Member
Mec-gar 40 rd mags

This is the reason I like this forum. We get crazy ideas like the one from Oswald. I think I will check this idea out and see what turns up!

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Oswald's idea is far from crazy and I hope you pursue his suggestion. I'd certainly buy some of the "factory" mags from you to supplement the many different ones I already own. I hope this is doable... Thanks Rex!

Oswald2001

Peabody,

See if you can get a 24-48 month exclusive distribution deal on the Mec-Gar 32 and 40 rounders. (32's may be a stretch, but, you may get the exclusive on the 40's)

That way you can buy up a special production run and corner (at least) the 40 round 100% reliable mag market.

You could work wholesale and retail.

Maybe Mec-Gar would throw in a little custom Vector 'proof' stamp.

What a coup! :cool

"Crazy is as crazy does."

- Forrest Gump

Last edited:

Bocefus

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
I would be in for at least 10 Mecgar 40 rnd mags if they became available.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter